Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

Did anyone notice Sea World changed their mask policy? When did this happen?
Screenshot_20210517-174334_Chrome.jpg

Jlwise2021

Phase 3 in Orange County will be interesting. ALL MANDATES will be gone. Universal will of course jump on the bandwagon ASAP but I think Disney will also jump on it too judging how fast the attractions relaxed restrictions after phase 2
I think you’re right, and I actually think Disney and Universal worked with the Orange County Mayor to draft the phases. This means they have to know that Orange County is close to hitting that 5% rolling 14-day average. I saw that Dollywood and Silver Dollar City went with masks as optional for 12 and under; also, any adults who are vaccinated don’t need a mask. I think when Orange County moves to Phase 3, it will be optional masking across the board. I don’t think we are rushing all of this; instead, the data is excellent, and we are coming through the pandemic successfully.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Phase 3 in Orange County will be interesting. ALL MANDATES will be gone. Universal will of course jump on the bandwagon ASAP but I think Disney will also jump on it too judging how fast the attractions relaxed restrictions after phase 2
I think the 70% of adults vaccinated is a pretty good metric. Under 5% positivity is bizarre. Most of the country has had long stretches under 5% positivity. Seems like a pretty low bar to get to removal of all restrictions. I think it was added in as a fail safe in case the vaccination effort slows. If they just hit 50% with 1 shot 70% isn’t going to happen for a while.

As far as Disney goes, I think they worked with the Mayor to set the metrics but if the percent positive goes below 5% next week I don’t think they are in any rush to drop indoor masks. They will have the option though so if they need to they can. Getting rid of outdoor masks in the hot Summer was a no brainer. I don’t think Disney is in any hurry to drop indoor masks right away. They will feel the pressure if Universal jumps at it, but Disney did wait a month longer to open. They aren’t always lined up.

I also think Sea World Hershey Park and even Wal Mart have all done something slightly different. They dropped mask requirements for fully vaccinated people only and just said it was the honor system. Disney and Universal dropped outdoor masks only but for everyone based on the OC phase 2 move. It’s a subtle difference but dropping all masks everywhere for everyone would be pretty far from what the CDC recommendation is. At least saying people are on the honor system puts the responsibility on the individual. I assume Disney and Universal chose to do the no outdoor masks for anyone policy because of the large number of children under 12 who would still have to wear a mask, even outdoors if they followed the CDC.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I think the 70% of adults vaccinated is a pretty good metric. Under 5% positivity is bizarre. Most of the country has had long stretches under 5% positivity. Seems like a pretty low bar to get to removal of all restrictions. I think it was added in as a fail safe in case the vaccination effort slows. If they just hit 50% with 1 shot 70% isn’t going to happen for a while.

As far as Disney goes, I think they worked with the Mayor to set the metrics but if the percent positive goes below 5% next week I don’t think they are in any rush to drop indoor masks. They will have the option though so if they need to they can. Getting rid of outdoor masks in the hot Summer was a no brainer. I don’t think Disney is in any hurry to drop indoor masks right away. They will feel the pressure if Universal jumps at it, but Disney did wait a month longer to open. They aren’t always lined up.

I also think Sea World Hershey Park and even Wal Mart have all done something slightly different. They dropped mask requirements for fully vaccinated people only and just said it was the honor system. Disney and Universal dropped outdoor masks only but for everyone based on the OC phase 2 move. It’s a subtle difference but dropping all masks everywhere for everyone would be pretty far from what the CDC recommendation is. At least saying people are on the honor system puts the responsibility on the individual. I assume Disney and Universal chose to do the no outdoor masks for anyone policy because of the large number of children under 12 who would still have to wear a mask, even outdoors if they followed the CDC.
I can't wait NJ, NY, CT to get rid masks soon for good by July or August.

disneygeek90

Perhaps the 5% metric would have been better if it was under 5% for a rolling 30 day average or something. Obviously you can't take one or even a handful of day positivity percentage as merit.

Chi84

Premium Member

If they get to phase 3 based on positivity rates they could go to no masks indoors but strongly encourage those who are not vaccinated to wear masks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If they get to phase 3 based on positivity rates they could go to no masks indoors but strongly encourage those who are not vaccinated to wear masks.
IMHO if they are ready to make the switch anytime soon they should just go to no indoor masks for fully vaccinated people and then leave it to the honor system on vaccination status. I’m OK with the outdoor mask thing being for everyone to help kids. Kids wear masks every day in school, they can wear one at WDW while indoors.

Cases are looking great and we may actually be ready for no masks anywhere for anyone in a month or so, but not any time real soon. My gut feeling is that indoor masks will be gone mostly everywhere by July 4 but it will be based on cases and vaccination percentages. My uneducated and totally arbitrary prediction is that nationally by July 1 we get to 70%+ of adults with at least 1 shot and as a result our cases per 100,000 drops under 5 and maybe under 3. If that happens virtually all Covid restrictions will be gone 🥳🥳🥳

hopemax

Still managing to keep up on this thread while doing our park gauntlet. But I just wanted to say, "Epcot is a mess." It was a mess the last time I was there, pre-COVID, but with most of the stores and quick service closed, it really is a mess. Other than the entry plaza, which is much better than the graveyard. And like I thought, way more people maskless at Epcot than the other days. Finished with our Disney park days, now 2 more Universal days, but with Express Pass 😄 .

disneygeek90

Still managing to keep up on this thread while doing our park gauntlet. But I just wanted to say, "Epcot is a mess." It was a mess the last time I was there, pre-COVID, but with most of the stores and quick service closed, it really is a mess. Other than the entry plaza, which is much better than the graveyard. And like I thought, way more people maskless at Epcot than the other days. Finished with our Disney park days, now 2 more Universal days, but with Express Pass 😄 .
Just curious, which day did you go? From my experience it's really pretty empty unless it's a Friday or Saturday night.

hopemax

Just curious, which day did you go? From my experience it's really pretty empty unless it's a Friday or Saturday night.
Today. In places it was fine, but with less shopping/food to pull people off the main walkways, there were tons of people in the main walkways. I am normally good at weaving my way around people, but it was a constant frustration of people getting in my way when I was trying to quickly use a restroom, or bring drinks / food back to where my Dad was sitting. It took us 4 hours to get from France to Italy. We ended up sitting awhile in Morocco and USA because I was losing my mind, but getting stuff from food places (except Japan booth) took forever. Nemo and Spaceship Earth had multiple stops that were more than normal disabled boarding, just everything was not smooth, took longer that it should, construction walls, long lines to park, long lines to get in the gate.

JoeCamel

Enjoy the new coasters and show!

seascape

The 7 day average of cases in the US fell another 3% yesteral to 32,032. The number of states in single digits per 100,000 is now 29 with 4 more at 10. Unfortunately, Michigan and Colorado are still at 20 and Florida still at 15. With a little luck maybe tomorrow's report will have no states in the 20's and 30 or more in single digits. The one thing that everyone has to agree on is that the US has Covid19 on the run as we have had 3 consecutive days with less than 30,000 new cases.

ABQ

The 7 day average of cases in the US fell another 3% yesteral to 32,032. The number of states in single digits per 100,000 is now 29 with 4 more at 10. Unfortunately, Michigan and Colorado are still at 20 and Florida still at 15. With a little luck maybe tomorrow's report will have no states in the 20's and 30 or more in single digits. The one thing that everyone has to agree on is that the US has Covid19 on the run as we have had 3 consecutive days with less than 30,000 new cases.
If FL can stay on this nice trajectory, then that 15 per 100k could be down to 10 in a short time.
1621335874132.png

the US overall is quite similar to the FL current trend.
1621335955504.png

Also, the 2 week average deaths attributed to Covid in the US is at the lowest it's been since April 4th, 2020.

seascape

If FL can stay on this nice trajectory, then that 15 per 100k could be down to 10 in a short time.
View attachment 558559

the US overall is quite similar to the FL current trend.
View attachment 558560

Also, the 2 week average deaths attributed to Covid in the US is at the lowest it's been since April 4th, 2020.
Don't neglect the fact that the neanderthal state of Texas has no Covid19 deaths on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom