Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatesMom

In the US we are about 25M first shots away from hitting 55% of the total population. I think we could hit that in around a month’s time. I’m not saying 55% is the red line and guarantees success like Israel had, but it’s a good target to shoot for. Hopefully we hit it before the end of June and hopefully we still end up with 70-75% of adults vaccinated too.
My daughter (13) got her first Pfizer shot this afternoon at a hopping county-run vaccine clinic for teens. They were pumping shots into 12-17 year old arms faster than teenagers devour Chick Fil A nuggets. Interestingly, they also offered shots to all the parents and guardians as we signed in our kids. These are the kind of coordinated pushes that could help raise the overall success rates.

ImperfectPixie

My daughter (13) got her first Pfizer shot this afternoon at a hopping county-run vaccine clinic for teens. They were pumping shots into 12-17 year old arms faster than teenagers devour Chick Fil A nuggets. Interestingly, they also offered shots to all the parents and guardians as we signed in our kids. These are the kind of coordinated pushes that could help raise the overall success rates.
My oldest absolutely can't wait to brag to his classmates that he got his shot Friday morning after he had the nurse call me to pick him up, lol. (she said getting the shot was fine...he only had a stomach ache)

Incomudro

C-Span very recently aired some great videos on the history of vaccines. One was called, "Smallpox and the First Vaccine," but they had more than one video, and the title of that one, I'm not sure how to say here, but the content is broader than the title suggests.

A VERY BRIEF and summarized history:

The history of vaccines, and concerns about vaccines, date back to the origin of vaccines. Variolation was the precursor to the first vaccine. Variolation was - as far as I know- specifically a way to combat smallpox. There were a few parts to the idea:
1. Smallpox was very common.
2. Overall, about 1/3 of people did not survive smallpox, but there was variation between smallpox outbreaks. Some outbreaks had a higher survival rate, and some had a lower survival rate.
3. If a person survived smallpox, they generally couldn't get it a second time.

The basic idea of variolation was to inoculate people from smallpox by intentionally exposing them to a mild case of smallpox. The idea worked, but it came with some very real risk.
1. Variolation could trigger an unnecessary outbreak of smallpox.
2. Some variolation patients died.
3. I'm not quite sure how to explain #3- but in that time period, every cut was risky, because there was no good way to curb infections. One variolation/early vaccine concern stemmed from a concern that variolation not only gave the person smallpox, but it also corrupted a person's bloodstream. People thought it was a bad idea to put bad things into our bodies, just as some people now only want to eat healthy foods.

During the American Revolution (Boston 1775), Washington's army was nearly wiped out by a smallpox outbreak. British troops fared better because they had been inoculated. Washington quickly realized smallpox could be used as a weapon. In 1777, Washington mandated variolation of his troops.

The current debate is very old and very connected to the history of this country. I found the film very interesting.
I caught the last half of that show, and it was excellent.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would have suggested 5 unless in a school setting. Other children's health organizations like WHO and UNICEF chose 5 and 9.
The science does support that kids under 5 are less likely to be able to get and spread covid:

I wouldn‘t be opposed to that change for very young kids.

DisneyCane

It’s time for the people moaning and crying about not getting the vaccine because they still had to follow the rules afterward to strap on their big boy pants and get the shot. IMHO I think a lot of the people saying that was the reason were already vaccinated (including you) and just didn’t want to have to wear a mask anymore. I think most of the people who were still going to get vaccinated but hadn’t yet we’re just indifferent and were not in a hurry. Hopefully some are motivated now to go in sooner but they would have to actually care about being in compliance with the technical rules since they don‘t actually need to be vaccinated to go to Walmart or outside at WDW without a mask.

Basically not much changes in what you can actually do after you get vaccinated today other than being in compliance with CDC recommendations and I’m not sure how many people who weren’t already vaccinated care about that.
It's anecdotal but out of nine unvaccinated friends that I was pushing to get vaccinated a few weeks ago. Two of them responded with a variation of "why bother when nothing changes." One responded that it isn't worth it because the vaccine doesn't work and came to that conclusion because of the guidelines for vaccinated people to keep masking and distancing. A forth was the one I relayed a few weeks ago who doesn't want the mRNA vaccines because they will alter his DNA and had an appointment for J&J until the pause.

Obviously this isn't a scientific study but these are examples of people who were "resistant" at least in part due to the bad "marketing" of the benefits to the low risk of getting vaccinated. I haven't spoken to any since the change but hopefully it will push at least some of them over to the other side.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My oldest absolutely can't wait to brag to his classmates that he got his shot Friday morning after he had the nurse call me to pick him up, lol. (she said getting the shot was fine...he only had a stomach ache)
Took my 14 year old in yesterday to Rite Aid. He was supposed to go to the county site on Friday after school (he had a half day) but they had extra Hershey Park tickets for my 5th grader’s trip so he ended up cutting school and going there instead. There were 3 kids in front of us in line. His school is doing an in school vaccine clinic now on Thursday for any kid 12 and up. So far it seems like all of his friends are going to get it either then or before like he did.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's anecdotal but out of nine unvaccinated friends that I was pushing to get vaccinated a few weeks ago. Two of them responded with a variation of "why bother when nothing changes." One responded that it isn't worth it because the vaccine doesn't work and came to that conclusion because of the guidelines for vaccinated people to keep masking and distancing. A forth was the one I relayed a few weeks ago who doesn't want the mRNA vaccines because they will alter his DNA and had an appointment for J&J until the pause.

Obviously this isn't a scientific study but these are examples of people who were "resistant" at least in part due to the bad "marketing" of the benefits to the low risk of getting vaccinated. I haven't spoken to any since the change but hopefully it will push at least some of them over to the other side.
Since there are all these benefits now did they make their appointments already? Pull up those big boy pants and get it done ;). No excuses now.

ImperfectPixie

Took my 14 year old in yesterday to Rite Aid. He was supposed to go to the county site on Friday after school (he had a half day) but they had extra Hershey Park tickets for my 5th grader’s trip so he ended up cutting school and going there instead. There were 3 kids in front of us in line. His school is doing an in school vaccine clinic now on Thursday for any kid 12 and up. So far it seems like all of his friends are going to get it either then or before like he did.
I know there's got to be some vaccine-hesitant parents that will hear about how mine got his shot and how it was no big deal...hoping my son's eagerness and excitement rubs off on classmates and maybe gives some who are vaccine-hesitant a little shove because their kids are bugging them.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
When NJ and NY will end mask mandate for good soon because I don't want to wear mask anymore.

Like this is going to be long time for NJ and NY will lift mask mandate little while...maybe next month?

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Back from a weekend at Kings Island. Masks mandatory only indoors and while not able to stay 6ft from others. First the hotel manager noticed we weren't from Ohio and kindly updated us on Ohios current rules (mask indoors, outdoors optional, boxed breakfast, no biggies). Was nice to get an update, cause never know when it might change again.
Park itself, eh, distancing is pretty much ignored in any type of line and people still don't mask, not really a surprise. Ride exits take people through an indoor area if you want to see photos, we forgot that part, and heard ops constantly having to tell people to put masks on. The masks lanyards worked well for quick access though, and not having to put them on dirty tables, or in our pockets. DD12 had hers on a majority of the time we were in the queues, could quickly slip it on for going through turnstiles, security, and places with bottlenecks. The only major frustration with the masks comes back to ordering food indoors when I can't read their lips and need to with the noise. I just pointed to what I wanted on the menu. Me and DD have our own bit of hand gestures for some questions like extras on burgers. All in all, not bad. I'd still like my personal space back though lol.

BlindChow

2.7M doses administered yesterday. 2nd highest total in May. 1.3M new first doses (1M of them adults 18+). Saturday is the most popular day for vaccinations now, but last Saturday we only had 755K new first shots for adults 18+ so up 33% from last week.
My daughter (13) got her first Pfizer shot this afternoon at a hopping county-run vaccine clinic for teens. ... Interestingly, they also offered shots to all the parents and guardians as we signed in our kids. These are the kind of coordinated pushes that could help raise the overall success rates.
This would've been my guess for an increase in adult vaccinations after the age limit was reduced: parents/guardians getting them at the same time as their kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom