Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Have you seen how kids play? I get why they did. Kids have no concept of social distancing. So while outdoor risk is super low, it isn't when you are continually on top of each other.
Kids at your school are continually on top of each other during recess? Interesting. At my kid's school, they didn't have any footballs, etc. to play with, so they mostly just ran around or threw rocks. No dog piles. lol

And my second grader absolutely understands the concept of social distancing. It has been drilled into her head over the last year by pretty much every adult she interacts with...for better or worse.

bryanfze55

Why is this (seemingly) a common attitude for parents? Parents should be keeping their kids safe. If that means the kid wears a mask after mom & dad are vaccinated, so be it.

Sounds like saying, well we (adults) don't need car seats so I'm not going to make my kid use one if he doesn't like it.
Keeping your kids safe is a risk-based decision, and pursuing absolute safety at any cost isn’t necessarily good parenting. The safest thing would be for my kids to never leave the house, but we don’t do that obviously. Many people have chosen for their kids to not go to school and not see their friends for a year. I think that’s bad parenting. Think about the potential for long term emotional damage.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Think about the potential for long term emotional damage.
That hasn't been a major concern unfortunately. I guess for some it is, "if kids can make it through world wars, they can make it through this..."? I dunno....I imagine masks are a small piece for most kids, its the other stuff that takes a toll on them...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t want my child to even get a bad night of sleep, because I don’t want anything unpleasant for them. But we can’t base public policy on trying to avoid kids getting the sniffles.
Wow, ok. I mean I think we all know Covid isn’t the sniffles.

My kids got the chicken pox shot. My kids get a flu shot every year. I didn‘t say, “no need to do that since we can’t just avoid the sniffles“. I didn’t say don’t bother since the chances of them dying from one of those things is very low. I’m not sure how with Covid all that matters is death when that simply isn’t true for any other illness. Kids wearing masks in school helps keep other kids from getting Covid and since they aren’t eligible for a vaccine yet there’s little alternative other than virtual school which sucked. It seems pretty simple to me and has worked since the beginning of the school year. Not sure why now because a fully vaccinated adult doesn’t need to wear a mask in public we would think we need to change anything for unvaccinated kids in school.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not sure why now because a fully vaccinated adult doesn’t need to wear a mask in public we would think we need to change anything for unvaccinated kids in school.
I don't think the two are linked. I assume for many, they always thought masks on kids were unnecessary...or would not be necessary once adults could get vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can't wait for the CDC to come out with a statement that kids under 12 don't need to wear masks. Such a slippery slope for masks these days.
At that point just drop masks for everyone. There is a really good scientific basis to say fully vaccinated people shouldn‘t have to wear a mask since they are a remote threat to spread Covid. That’s simply not true for unvaccinated 11 year olds. So if it’s safe for an unvaccinated 11 year old to not wear a mask anymore then it’s safe for an unvaccinated 12 year old or an unvaccinated 40 year old not to wear one. I think we are fast approaching that point. Once we have around 70% of adults vaccinated or 55-60% of the total population vaccinated most Covid restrictions won’t be needed for anyone.

mmascari

Keeping your kids safe is a risk-based decision, and pursuing absolute safety at any cost isn’t necessarily good parenting. The safest thing would be for my kids to never leave the house, but we don’t do that obviously. Many people have chosen for their kids to not go to school and not see their friends for a year. I think that’s bad parenting. Think about the potential for long term emotional damage.
Let's say you're at the beach.

There's a water treatment plant just down the shore, couple of miles.

On a normal day, it releases very little into the ocean. By the time it's mixed and reaches the beach area, it's so low that you cannot even tell. Everyone swims and has a great time.

On a day with a lot of rainfall causing extra discharge, maybe you change your mind, maybe you swim anyway, maybe you wear a dry suit and kayak instead.

On a day where processing breaks and they have huge uncontrolled releases, they close the beach.

Those 3 days are different. The fact they closed the beach on the third day doesn't mean it's forever. Not taking my kids to the beach on the second or third days doesn't mean I never take them to the beach.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think the two are linked. I assume for many, they always thought masks on kids were unnecessary...or would not be necessary once adults could get vaccinated.
Agreed 100%. It’s the anti-mask crowd pulling the give em an inch take a mile thing. Railing and crying that fully vaccinated people shouldn’t have to wear a mask, that change happens. Now it’s kids shouldn’t have to wear a mask. If that change happens the next logical argument will be if an unvaccinated 11 year old doesn’t need to wear a mask why do I as an adult. The fully vaccinated change is based in actual science.

GaBoy

Agreed 100%. It’s the anti-mask crowd pulling the give em an inch take a mile thing. Railing and crying that fully vaccinated people shouldn’t have to wear a mask, that change happens. Now it’s kids shouldn’t have to wear a mask. If that change happens the next logical argument will be if an unvaccinated 11 year old doesn’t need to wear a mask why do I as an adult. The fully vaccinated change is based in actual science.
Yeah. I read vaccinated take them off. Unvaccinated wear one or get vaccinated. Thats it. Thats also what the President said.
I mean so far.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's a very long beach.

A pool with a candy bar floating in it, vs 10 vs 100 candy bars and trying to avoid them was my first thought. The beach sounded better.
It isn't that long. My point being that kids are only kids for so long. And these years are essential for development into functioning adults. That's all...

JD80

You guys are still have the asymptomatic vs. pre-symptomatic debate?

Asymptomatic = very small viral load - very unlikely that the amount you shed will infect anyone - if you shed any at all.
Pre-Symptomatic = high viral load - people gonna get sick

AmesTARDIS

Freehold, Asbury Park, Ocean City, and Cape May have been my experience with lax masking over the past 8 months in stores. A lot of noses exposed. Technically wearing, but defeating the purpose. There were places I wanted to go into, but open the door and see a bunch of people inside and walking around with noses exposed or chin diapers, and I get out of there.
Oh, wow. I will never understand those who don't fully cover their face. The only place on your list that I had visited during that time was Ocean City- over the summer. It was bad. Locally, though it has been pretty good.

bryanfze55

Wow, ok. I mean I think we all know Covid isn’t the sniffles.

My kids got the chicken pox shot. My kids get a flu shot every year. I didn‘t say, “no need to do that since we can’t just avoid the sniffles“. I didn’t say don’t bother since the chances of them dying from one of those things is very low. I’m not sure how with Covid all that matters is death when that simply isn’t true for any other illness. Kids wearing masks in school helps keep other kids from getting Covid and since they aren’t eligible for a vaccine yet there’s little alternative other than virtual school which sucked. It seems pretty simple to me and has worked since the beginning of the school year. Not sure why now because a fully vaccinated adult doesn’t need to wear a mask in public we would think we need to change anything for unvaccinated kids in school.
My daughter is still wearing a mask at school since it’s the rule, and I’m not fighting it. It is what it is. I’m just saying, for most kids COVID is either asymptomatic or similar to having a cold or mild flu. I go by that data when making tisk assessments. I’ll get my kids vaccinated when they’re eligible, and they get the flu vaccine every year too. But if we’re comparing - they’ve never worn masks to avoid the flu.

Chi84

Premium Member
It isn't that long. My point being that kids are only kids for so long. And these years are essential for development into functioning adults. That's all...
It's getting more and more difficult to justify continuing the masks. I think the administration announced no masks for the vaccinated in order to incentivize people to get vaccinated. Once that push is done, my prediction is that all mask mandates, both indoor and outdoor, will be quickly eliminated.

AmesTARDIS

I live in Gloucester Co also, and have observed the same thing, mask compliance has been pretty good. I even went to an outdoor food truck festival two weeks ago and masking was pretty good when people weren't actively eating. If you are referring to the Amish Market in Mullica Hill, masking has been an issue there since day one, especially amount the staff.
How nice! I miss festivals. I was actually referring to the one in Williamstown. It was around 11:30am and many people- both employees and guests, were not wearing their masks. I heard someone say, "We don't have to wear them here." I have to say it was a bit unnerving.

DisneyDebRob

Despite their neighboring locations, shared name and theme, Hersheypark and Hershey’s Chocolate World are owned and operated by two separate companies. Hersheypark and most of the other entertainment venues are owned by Hershey Entertainment, a private company owned by the The Hershey Trust while Hershey’s Chocolate World is owned by The Hershey Company, the chocolate company.
I never knew that and I don’t live to far away. That’s why I wake up every morning.. to learn something new. Thanks!

bryanfze55

Let's say you're at the beach.

There's a water treatment plant just down the shore, couple of miles.

On a normal day, it releases very little into the ocean. By the time it's mixed and reaches the beach area, it's so low that you cannot even tell. Everyone swims and has a great time.

On a day with a lot of rainfall causing extra discharge, maybe you change your mind, maybe you swim anyway, maybe you wear a dry suit and kayak instead.

On a day where processing breaks and they have huge uncontrolled releases, they close the beach.

Those 3 days are different. The fact they closed the beach on the third day doesn't mean it's forever. Not taking my kids to the beach on the second or third days doesn't mean I never take them to the beach.
It could be closed long enough to affect the children emotionally, or to impact their life in meaningful ways. It was always hard for me to buy in when people said “it’s just temporary restrictions,” because those same people would have been perfectly fine with those restrictions being permanent if it meant their own health anxiety would be better contained. Thankfully some brilliant scientists saved us from that outcome, but in the absence of vaccines, some people would have been hiding their kids from the world in perpetuity. In five years from now, we’d still have been hearing “hang in there. It’s temporary.”

Jrb1979

Yeah. I read vaccinated take them off. Unvaccinated wear one or get vaccinated. Thats it. Thats also what the President said.
Yes that's what was said. But if you think people will do the right thing and wear masks I have a bridge to sell you. My only hope is that more places implement proof of vaccination. I have my doubts as it feels like many in the US have settled for good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom