Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Whoever wrote that article for Politifact isn't very good at math:

"But for children 14 and younger, the spokesperson said, Florida’s COVID-19 mortality rate is 0.009%, far below the 0.01% for flu for that age group."

Do they realize that 0.009 is not "far below" 0.01? .009 is only .001 below .01. In fact, the numbers are so close, you're talking about margin of error.

Fact is, over the pandemic, in children, there have been more Covid deaths than flu deaths. Those are the facts:

(287 Covid deaths vs 182 flu deaths).
I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure also that MISC has a higher incidence in pediatric COVID than similar sequelae in pediatric influenza, not to mention a likely much higher morbidity.

The only relevant stat I could find was an incidence of 4/100,000 neurologic complications in influenza, and one-time febrile seizures made up the vast majority of these at 77%. No precise data on cardiac complications, other than noting that myocarditis and pericarditis occur very rarely in pediatric flu.

Last edited:

CLEtoWDW

So Hershey Park just announced.........
And just when I thought we were starting to get pass all the nonsense Hershey comes out with this gem.
I applaud Cedar Fair for not requiring masks on ANYBODY unless you are indoors. That’s the correct way to approach this and they are going to reap the rewards for finally using common sense.

disneygeek90

It may not have been a wise idea but the NY Yankees admitted the team "relaxed " covid protocols after April 30, then 8 players that were vaccinated with J&J tested positive.
This was an MLB standard agreed to by all teams. If a team has 85% staff players and coaches, measures could be relaxed. That’s a heck of a lot higher than we’re seeing for the public and we’re already apparently relaxing.

Incomudro

But contracting COVID when you’re vaccinated is likely a non-issue. We need to stop acting like getting COVID is the worst thing in the world that can happen to someone. We have protection now to mitigate it. While the vaccines are very effective, they’re not full proof. But this far, they’ve been nearly full proof in preventing hospitalization and death. Isn’t that what matters?

*This is where someone will chime in and say “but vaccinated people can still pass along the virus!” And if that is true, they’ll be passing it along to those who have the vaccine. In that case, see my previous point. If they pass it along to an unvaccinated individual, that individual kind of had it coming. We aren’t going to be antisocial creatures forever just to protect those who refuse a vaccine.
It's supposed to be what matters, but it's been largely forgotten by too many.
Remember when Dr. Fauci said something to the effect that for most people, getting covid will be little more than a sniffle, and some fatigue? (something like that)
Well, the vaccines help to insure that is the worse outcome for just about anyone who gets vaccinated.

Chi84

Premium Member
And just when I thought we were starting to get pass all the nonsense Hershey comes out with this gem.
I applaud Cedar Fair for not requiring masks on ANYBODY unless you are indoors. That’s the correct way to approach this and they are going to reap the rewards for finally using common sense.
I think the CDC guidance will be changed to say masks are not required outdoors. In my opinion, the announcement yesterday was done to emphasize the effectiveness of the vaccines by clearly delineating between vaccinated and unvaccinated. According to the CDC's own data, there's no reason for masks outdoors.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I think the CDC guidance will be changed to say masks are not required outdoors. In my opinion, the announcement yesterday was done to emphasize the effectiveness of the vaccines by clearly delineating between vaccinated and unvaccinated. According to the CDC's own data, there's no reason for masks outdoors.
Since when did people start listening to the CDC? Oh, right. When it fit their requirements.

MrMcDuck

Co-worker's sister at a Target this morning in NY. People weren't wearing masks. Employees told them to put their masks on. Customers said no, citing the CDC. Employees said NY hadn't lifted any restrictions yet. Customers argued.

Color me SURPRISED.

Yep. That's the real world response to this. It was likely a bad decision to make that announcement (made by an agency that is not as apolitical as people wish it to be), but it's done. Masks are over. Party on, boys.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Yep. That's the real world response to this. It was likely a bad decision to make that announcement (made by an agency that is not as apolitical as people wish it to be), but it's done. Masks are over.
Hold on, what hasn't been a real world response up until now?

GaBoy

Co-worker's sister at a Target this morning in NY. People weren't wearing masks. Employees told them to put their masks on. Customers said no, citing the CDC. Employees said NY hadn't lifted any restrictions yet. Customers argued.

Color me SURPRISED.
I read the transcript from Biden's announcement yesterday.
AP...
“If you are fully vaccinated, you no longer need to wear a mask,” he said, summarizing the new guidance and encouraging more Americans to roll up their sleeves. “Get vaccinated — or wear a mask until you do.”

The message is out there and like someone stated, the genie is out of the bottle. I expect this pushback up north. Down here is business as usual and I expect to see it drop from 25% masked to 5% in the stores.

Incomudro

Whoever wrote that article for Politifact isn't very good at math:

"But for children 14 and younger, the spokesperson said, Florida’s COVID-19 mortality rate is 0.009%, far below the 0.01% for flu for that age group."

Do they realize that 0.009 is not "far below" 0.01? .009 is only .001 below .01. In fact, the numbers are so close, you're talking about margin of error.

It's also very outdated -- a snapshot from early in the pandemic, when kids were being kept home from school, and when testing was just starting to ramp up. We have much better information now.

Fact is, over the pandemic, in children, there have been more Covid deaths than flu deaths. Those are the facts:

(287 Covid deaths vs 182 flu deaths).
Regardless, 287 deaths given the population is minuscule.
And most likely, most of those deaths occurred in children with some serious conditions already.

Mark52479

Yep. That's the real world response to this. It was likely a bad decision to make that announcement (made by an agency that is not as apolitical as people wish it to be), but it's done. Masks are over. Party on, boys.
This is why I think with the CDC announcement yesterday it gives the States no choice but to lift their mask mandates.

Their hands are tied now. California announced their mandate will end June I am sure NY will follow.

havoc315

COVID has been prevalent in communities since early in 2020 - so for the last 15 months, at least. Flu is seasonal and spreads about half the year, at most. Agree to call it even?

Actually, we have seen Covid is season, just like flu.

In fact, the spike periods of Covid, throughout the world, have mostly coincided with when you'd expect flu spikes.

While Covid is very different than the flu, they share the same seasonality pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom