Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you have misunderstood or I’ve liked when I should have angried!

The people who have died are obviously missed and a tragedy, irrespective of age. I thought that the ones who were not missed were the people on the forum who said “It’s only old people who are in danger, take care of them and let me live my life.”

Apologies if I’m wrong!

no...you knocked it right onto the green...and it wasn’t hard ⛳

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
the faster the net spreads...the better off the variant situation would be.

gonna be real stupid if people are wasting their time mouthing off about effective vaccines now if a nasty strain pops up in 6 months.

grande stupido
Fall/Winter will be bad luck now or what? Is there will be no more surges? Is new variants will stop vaccines as we will never go back to normal now....?😥

Trauma

Yep, September, was it hot? ;) :joyfull:
If you weren’t concerned enough about catching or spreading it before you where vaccinated why are you worried now. I guess I’m just confused.

So I’m new to forums and I just learned the reply button doesn’t work like I thought it does.

I was replying to Tony tiger

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What's different about COVID is that we don't shut down large sections of the country for an entire year for other forms of death.

A hurricane or blizzard affects a region and (overall) and often is back to normal within a week. Deaths numbering in the hundreds are rare.

9/11 affected all of us in different ways, but President Bush encouraged people to get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Really, there's been nothing like COVID in recent memory.

As you suggest, COVID is not even close to one of the leading causes of death for those ages 0-17. In this age group, there are more deaths by:
  • Motor Vehicle Accidents
  • Suicide
  • Gun Violence
  • Homicide (other than firearms)
  • Drowning
  • Unintentional Suffocation
  • Fire
If someone wants to save young lives, pick any one of these and do something about it.

For the elderly, we can save hundreds-of-thousands of lives by simply getting them vaccinated.
Sadly there are 7 states right now where 25% or more of the population over 65 are still not vaccinated with even 1 shot. The far right column ls percent of 65+ with at least 1 dose. That’s a lot of high risk people still at risk and those states are also below average overall so more chance for spread.

A8A384BB-E74F-4E76-9901-85C26625067B.png

Tony the Tigger

That's what I thought. I'll continue to be cautious.
What? Don't you know you're supposed to be utterly reckless and negligent, because...it makes other reckless people feel better?
I’m sorry for your losses and I’m glad you had a great trip. I’m all for people taking risks they feel are measured. Based on your previous posts, you don’t seem to think it’s okay for others to take that same approach. Castigate the family holiday gathering? Sure, Fauci and the CDC warned against it - I avoided it. But who am I to judge those who felt it was a measured risk worth taking? Fauci and the CDC also pretty clearly warned against unnecessary travel. A little self-awareness is all I’m asking for, sir.
Read more carefully is all I'm asking for, then. You're putting words in my mouth and making assumptions.
is it “national misreading day”??
Seriously.
Yep, September, was it hot? ;) :joyfull:
Yes, it was hot.
If you weren’t concerned enough about catching or spreading it before you where vaccinated why are you worried now. I guess I’m just confused.

So I’m new to forums and I just learned the reply button doesn’t work like I thought it does.

Yes, you are confused.

And with that, I've wasted enough of my day off on this counterproductive thread.

JoeCamel

You can delete your post if you like

ParentsOf4

Sadly there are 7 states right now where 25% or more of the population over 65 are still not vaccinated with even 1 shot. The far right column ls percent of 65+ with at least 1 dose. That’s a lot of high risk people still at risk and those states are also below average overall so more chance for spread.

View attachment 556734
I wonder where the NYT is getting its numbers. These are Georgia's official numbers.

1620784708844.png

CatesMom

Yeah, I tried CVS first but they haven’t updated yet. My county website has opened appointments for the county vaccine sites starting tomorrow for 12-15. I guess they assume the CDC approval will come in. He has a half day from school on Friday anyway so picking him up and heading to the mall to the abandoned Sears store for the shot. It’s good to see they found some use for the old Sears locations :).
County vaccine site here took over the old Pier One in our strip mall. . .

ParentsOf4

Interesting. 99% seems unlikely for the 75-84.
Per the NYT's own webpage, 5 states are excluded from the following map "because more than a quarter of data is missing." (See footnote.)

1620785640141.png

I'm not sure how the NYT can report a vaccination rate for Georgia when they are saying that more than a quarter of data is missing.

Again, the data I've posted is from the official Georgia Department of Health website.

It could be that Georgia is using out-of-date population numbers (making the percentages higher than they really are), the NYT's data source is inaccurate, or some combination of the two.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Per the NYT's own webpage, 5 states are excluded from the following map "because more than a quarter of data is missing." (See footnote.)

View attachment 556739

I'm not sure how the NYT can report a vaccination rate for Georgia when they are saying that more than a quarter of data is missing.

Again, the data I've posted is from the official Georgia Department of Health website.

It could be that Georgia is using out-of-date population numbers (making the percentages higher than they really are), the NYT's data source is inaccurate, or some combination of the two.
Seems like they are probably both wrong. It’s highly unlikely less than 1% of the population in that age group is unvaccinated. Maybe they included out of state residents that crossed the border for a vaccination or it could be bad population data.

BrianLo

By the numbers, getting 1% more vaccinated in the 65-74 age group will save more lives than getting 100% vaccinated in the 0-17 age group.

The issue is not which ages groups are affected. The issue is which age groups are affected more.

This undersells though the impact of that vaccinations have on transmission reduction. The herd is always more impactful than the individual.

The most effective way to reduce COVID deaths (and morbidity) is preventing total COVID transmission. The best way to do that is for everyone to stop transmitting it by getting vaccinated.

We will know the time is right to pull back when numbers decline consistently *as they currently are in much of the US. If young people really want to get back to normal, they need to equally do their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom