Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I appreciate you being upfront about that. Now that I’m vaccinated, I’m planning a nice trip this fall. Here’s my thing: I’ve actually been pretty cautious this entire time. Much moreso than I probably let on. But I don’t brag about it. I don’t let myself get a “holier-than-thou” complex. It’s a pandemic - the virus is the enemy. And to castigate other folks that I don’t even know as the selfish cause of all this death... it absolutely reeks of hypocrisy, elitism, and a lack of self-awareness.

we’ve been buy the book mostly...very cautious. However I wasn’t really able to be in lockdown...but luckily it has worked out.

I am hard on any anti-vax or anti-precaution because it does more damage at this point than the virus.

am I the only one tired of this?

shut up, arms out...I don’t care for any”I heard this” or “a lot of people are saying” or “I’ll make up your own mind”
Get in line, Cletus

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes, I agree it is pretty low, but if vaccinated people can die from COVID, I would think they can also spread it.
Yes. Millions and millions have been vaccinated. There of course have been breakthrough cases. Most of these cases passed without issue. You’re not going to find perfection. We can’t get any closer with the protection these vaccines provide. It’s quite amazing how good they are.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“Far less likely” doesn’t even begin to describe this.

the faster the net spreads...the better off the variant situation would be.

gonna be real stupid if people are wasting their time mouthing off about effective vaccines now if a nasty strain pops up in 6 months.

grande stupido

Tony the Tigger

So let’s say your at Disney Springs or whatever they call it this week. You have to take off and put on your mask every time you enter a store.

Sure you can just leave it on the whole time but honestly that’s not much fun to do in 90 degree heat.

Are we really to the point where we are willing to accept a lower quality of life - even if in your opinion it’s not a huge change - just because some people won’t get a shot?
Side note: I have one of those thingies, kind of like what you can attach to a pair of eyeglasses - it goes around your neck and clips onto your mask. So, taking it on and off is very easy, and you don't have to put it down anywhere.
I’m on my way to the gym right now. I’m fully vaccinated and I promise I will be the only one there wearing a mask while working out.
Why? Do I feel at risk? Heck no I feel 100% safe. It’s simple I asked the front desk for the rules. They said we ask you where a mask, so I do.

I assume everyone here at the gym thinks I’m a complete idiot but what’s the point of having rules if we ignore them?

That being said if the gym doesn’t change the rules in a what I deem to be a reasonable amount of time I will vote with my wallet and find a new one.
I was thinking about doing that tonight for the first time in over a year. If I don't, it's not because of fear of COVID, it's because I'm feeling lazy and a little sunburned...and...a little...hungry. 🤣
Yes.

Pfizer and BioNtech first started discussions on partnering to develop an mRNA based flu vaccine before Covid even existed. They fast tracked their partnership for Covid.
That is awesome. Also, fingers crossed for HIV.
How foolish would it be to get a break thru infection now and die ?

Heck I don’t know how foolish would it be to get struck by lightning and die?

That’s why I said you scare me. If your own personal fear of covid is not over after you are vaccinated, I don’t think you will ever feel safe.

That’s your choice just don’t expect others to follow along with what you consider reasonable.
(Sigh.) First: what concern is it of yours how safe I feel? I don't make the rules for everyone else.

Overall, I feel safe. But it is smart and rational to be aware of risks and to face reality, not a made up pollyana reality, but face facts: breakthrough infections happen. Being high risk, I have to be a little more concerned about that than someone who isn't. Being married to another high risk person, I have to be aware of the possibility of inadvertently killing my spouse. It would be reckless for me to pretend that's not a possibility.

This was from a month ago. There were 5,800 known breakthrough infections then. So obviously, it's more now. For context, I live in South Florida, one of the worst places in the country for COVID, and the single worst place in the country for COVID variants. I presume (and could be wrong) that a variant might be more likely to cause a breakthrough infection. And here I am in Variant Central.

Also, I'm a Virgo, and I eat stress for breakfast. That doesn't mean I don't do things. I just take a little anxiety along for good measure. (My husband balances me out. He's more laid back.)

And I'm kind of like Charlie Brown. If stuff's going to happen, it happens to me. Good grief.

Finally, I hate regrets. It's a thing. I do not want to be that guy in the hospital with two weeks to think about what I should have done instead of what I did that put me there. (And then die!) When I could have done something as simple as wear a mask like I've done without issue for the last year, and not abandon or kill my spouse along with me.

Some things are worth risks. Mask avoidance is a stupid thing to make an issue out of.

So some of you folks stress about wearing masks, and I think that's ridiculous. I stress about dying from a virus, and you think that's ridiculous. I'll take it.

Hmm...is it too late to go to the gym yet? My Bowflex is right here...also Uber Eats...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The vaccines are incredible. Breakthrough infections are rare but they do happen. With 35% of the population now fully vaccinated combined with some percent with natural immunity it’s even less likely to suffer a breakthrough infection than it was back in March or January. It will also be much, much less likely than today when we reach 70% vaccinated. Wearing a mask today isn’t an option in a lot of situations and by the time it is we will likely be at that higher level of vaccinations so even more unlikely to have a breakthrough infection.

JoeCamel

My wife an I stopped in a small restaurant recently to order takeout. The person behind the counter was not wearing a mask and he was helping a maskless customer. My wife and I were both wearing masks and were standing away from the counter. When we approached to order he put his mask on and once we ordered was very quick to offer to bring the good outside to us when it was ready. To me this is just a new type of common curtesy. Not everyone is going to have the same comfort level coming out of this so for a while I think it is just good manners to continue mask wearing and social distancing in some situations.
I've been traveling, driving this past week. It is a study in human nature to see the different customs that have taken hold in different areas of the country. Some places it is clerks masked, only sign on door is for 6 feet, others everyone wears them. In colorado I think it is a religion but they do it correctly at least. I carry one and adapt to the local custom.
I have seen the same behavior if I approach wearing a mask, I applaud it, shows they are catering to the customer no matter the customer's choice.

Last edited:

hopemax

I'm all for getting as many people vaccinated as possible across all age groups. But I also recognize who is at greatest risk.
I liked your previous graph. The one that showed COVID-19 deaths vs all deaths for an age group. If you are older, in general, you are more at risk to die from something than a younger population. We don't normally have something which changes the numbers so much appear out of nowhere. IMO, even the 5.4% for 30-39 year olds is not something I would want to play around with. You know there are people that opt out of certain activities because of what could happen. Younger adult deaths by drowning, for example, wouldn't be 5.3% of deaths for their age group, but you know there are adults that won't go near the water, who are shrugging at their risk of something bad, COVID related happening. We do more prevention for less death elsewhere, and that makes total sense to people.

kids... only .7% of all kid deaths were from COVID.
2.6% for 18-29,
5.4% of 30-39,
9.7% for 40-49,
11.9% for 50-64,
14% 65-74,
14.4% for 75-84,
13% for 85+

Tony the Tigger

I’m sorry, so you went to WDW (completely unnecessary vacation) during the pandemic and you’re casting others as being irresponsible and careless?
(Sigh.) Not that I owe anyone an explanation...

This entire year has been one of measured risks. You guys want to paint me as a terrified person hiding in my house, and that's not the case. I'm just careful about what I do.

So here's what we did to mitigate our risk:

We went for two days and two nights, hardly "a vacation." We stayed in a cabin at Ft. Wilderness (loved it!) No lobby. No common hallways. No people. Just us in our cabin with our dog. We walked outside to the QS for take-out. (Side note: didn't cost a dime, all on Chase Disney points. There's a TR on here somewhere. It was in September.)

We went to one park for one day: Epcot. I think we meant to go on a ride but I don't think we got around to it. Mostly just walked around the Food & Wine booths, and then took the skyliner to Topolino's.

Everything was as safe as reasonably possible. We stayed away from people. We sanitized. We wore masks. (My profile pic - which is apparently stupid, according to someone - is from that day.)

It was a much needed break from the massive stress of having my business closed for two months as we delivered groceries in a pandemic with asthma (me) and diabetes (him) and attempting to take care of my father-in-law who was in very bad shape after a stroke. The idea was when we got home, my husband was going to move in with his Dad to take care of him full time for as long as necessary until he could take care of himself again; sadly he passed away in October, a few months after losing my Grandmother (who was more like a mother.)

This short trip was something that merited a measured risk, IMO. It was well worth it, and one of few bright spots in an otherwise pretty dreadful year.

We didn't catch COVID. We didn't give it to anyone. Any questions?

Flugell

I’m not being compassionate about the boy because I respond to the post? What am I suppose to do?

Should I take the time to write some paragraph about what a terrible tragedy it is? One would think any reasonable person would think that, but for some reason I need to make that clear to you?

I respect everyone choices. If you want to wear a mask that’s great I wear one also.

However if you want your personal choices to stay policy so that you can feel “comfortable” when science suggests otherwise that’s when it becomes a problem.
I would have thought that “That’s very sad but fortunately very rare, there are only 55 deaths from lightning strikes per day worldwide,” would have been a better beginning as it was your question to start with. However leaving that to one side as I obviously misinterpreted your intention.

I have never, at any point said that policy should be governed by my personal choice, that would be ridiculous! Nice for me but a pain for everyone else!

We are obviously both in agreement as we wear a mask, are vaccinated and respect the opinion of others.

So on that note, take care and have a good day!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I liked your previous graph. The one that showed COVID-19 deaths vs all deaths for an age group. If you are older, in general, you are more at risk to die from something than a younger population. We don't normally have something which changes the numbers so much appear out of nowhere. IMO, even the 5.3% for 30-39 year olds is not something I would want to play around with. You know there are people that opt out of certain activities because of what could happen. Younger adult deaths by drowning, for example, wouldn't be 5.3% of deaths for their age group, but you know there are adults that won't go near the water, who are shrugging at their risk of something bad, COVID related happening. We do more prevention for less death elsewhere, and that makes total sense to people.

2.6% for 18-29,
5.4% of 30-39,
9.7% for 40-49,
11.9% for 50-64,
14% 65-74,
14.4% for 75-84,
13% for 85+

and you summarized exactly what the epidemiologists have been saying since the start...

it’s caused problems to everyone. So you kill it...with what you got. Two shots in the arm and not getting up in peoples grills?

oh...the horror...more sacrifice than a Higgins boat on Utah beach 😡

remember the collection of clowns typing “it only affects old people...just take care of them and leave me alone”??

well they’re gone now...and not missed

Last edited:

drizgirl

and you summarized exactly what the epidemiologists have been saying since the start...

it’s caused problems to everyone. So you kill it...with what you got. Two shots in the arm and not getting up in peoples grills?

oh...the horror...more sacrifice than a Higgins boat than Utah beach 😡

remember the collection of clowns typing “it only affects old people...just take care of them and leave me alone”??

well they’re gone now...and not missed
I'm so sorry you aren't missing the all the older patients who lost their lives in this tragedy.

ParentsOf4

I liked your previous graph. The one that showed COVID-19 deaths vs all deaths for an age group. If you are older, in general, you are more at risk to die from something than a younger population. We don't normally have something which changes the numbers so much appear out of nowhere. IMO, even the 5.3% for 30-39 year olds is not something I would want to play around with. You know there are people that opt out of certain activities because of what could happen. Younger adult deaths by drowning, for example, wouldn't be 5.3% of deaths for their age group, but you know there are adults that won't go near the water, who are shrugging at their risk of something bad, COVID related happening. We do more prevention for less death elsewhere, and that makes total sense to people.

2.6% for 18-29,
5.4% of 30-39,
9.7% for 40-49,
11.9% for 50-64,
14% 65-74,
14.4% for 75-84,
13% for 85+
What's different about COVID is that we don't shut down large sections of the country for an entire year for other forms of death.

A hurricane or blizzard affects a region and (overall) and often is back to normal within a week. Deaths numbering in the hundreds are rare.

9/11 affected all of us in different ways, but President Bush encouraged people to get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Really, there's been nothing like COVID in recent memory.

As you suggest, COVID is not even close to one of the leading causes of death for those ages 0-17. In this age group, there are more deaths by:
  • Motor Vehicle Accidents
  • Suicide
  • Gun Violence
  • Homicide (other than firearms)
  • Drowning
  • Unintentional Suffocation
  • Fire
If someone wants to save young lives, pick any one of these and do something about it.

For the elderly, we can save hundreds-of-thousands of lives by simply getting them vaccinated.

Flugell

I'm so sorry you aren't missing the all the older patients who lost their lives in this tragedy.
I think you have misunderstood or I’ve liked when I should have angried!

The people who have died are obviously missed and a tragedy, irrespective of age. I thought that the ones who were not missed were the people on the forum who said “It’s only old people who are in danger, take care of them and let me live my life.”

Apologies if I’m wrong!

bryanfze55

(Sigh.) Not that I owe anyone an explanation...

This entire year has been one of measured risks. You guys want to paint me as a terrified person hiding in my house, and that's not the case. I'm just careful about what I do.

So here's what we did to mitigate our risk:

We went for two days and two nights, hardly "a vacation." We stayed in a cabin at Ft. Wilderness (loved it!) No lobby. No common hallways. No people. Just us in our cabin with our dog. We walked outside to the QS for take-out. (Side note: didn't cost a dime, all on Chase Disney points. There's a TR on here somewhere. It was in September.)

We went to one park for one day: Epcot. I think we meant to go on a ride but I don't think we got around to it. Mostly just walked around the Food & Wine booths, and then took the skyliner to Topolino's.

Everything was as safe as reasonably possible. We stayed away from people. We sanitized. We wore masks. (My profile pic - which is apparently stupid, according to someone - is from that day.)

It was a much needed break from the massive stress of having my business closed for two months as we delivered groceries in a pandemic with asthma (me) and diabetes (him) and attempting to take care of my father-in-law who was in very bad shape after a stroke. The idea was when we got home, my husband was going to move in with his Dad to take care of him full time for as long as necessary until he could take care of himself again; sadly he passed away in October, a few months after losing my Grandmother (who was more like a mother.)

This short trip was something that merited a measured risk, IMO. It was well worth it, and one of few bright spots in an otherwise pretty dreadful year.

We didn't catch COVID. We didn't give it to anyone. Any questions?
I’m sorry for your losses and I’m glad you had a great trip. I’m all for people taking risks they feel are measured. Based on your previous posts, you don’t seem to think it’s okay for others to take that same approach. Castigate the family holiday gathering? Sure, Fauci and the CDC warned against it - I avoided it. But who am I to judge those who felt it was a measured risk worth taking? Fauci and the CDC also pretty clearly warned against unnecessary travel. A little self-awareness is all I’m asking for, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom