Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

For a jog in Central Park, or walking the Geyser Basin in Yellowstone, this outdoor transmission argument makes sense. Even in the case of outdoor dining, beer garden, photos at WDW. We've already seen an evolved policy with this, so frankly who cares? It's too fast for some and not quick enough for others, but largely we've seen human behavior and public policy outpace the CDC, anyway. Everything else is water under the bridge to the vaccine effort, and akin to your SO bringing up a mistake from 8 months ago in an argument about what to have for dinner tonight. As has been posted over and over again here, people are getting used to the idea of a mask optional outdoors, depending on the situation. If Disney or other large venue see outdoor masks as a way to increase capacity, that makes sense from an economic standpoint, while our community transmission is so high and % vaccinated is still low. If your local park system is requiring your kid to be in a mask on the playground, that argument belongs to the city council.
Why should we care:
  1. Outdoor masking was treated the same as indoor masking which pounded into the minds of society that nowhere was safe. Coping during this event would have been much easier for some if mandates were indoor mask - Yes, Outdoor mask - No. So go outside and get some activity.
  2. Many small businesses went out of business as a result.
  3. Millions of dollars in fines were assessed based on failed science.
  4. The CDC did not vet the data. They failed in scientific due diligence.
  5. Peoples mobility was impaired because of failed science.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
It is concerning that the CDC went with the less than 10% number rather than the far more accurate less than 1% number. It is one thing to be conservative but something else entirely to be that misleading. Its not a good look. Poor communication on their end at the very least.
So what’s your solution?

havoc315

They are putting the lids back on the trash cans. We’ll be back to normal operations by July 4th 🥳🎉💥🎊

Watch Chapek announced that at the earnings phone call!

Who knows what huge steps may be next... I mean, they are currently slowly bringing back valet parking!
Maybe they won't socially distance cars in the parking lot anymore! Actually allow cars to park next to each other!
Maybe let resorts guests use their refillable mugs instead of a paper cup!
Who knows, maybe they will go really crazy and increase capacity at resort swimming pools!
Or give reduced mousekeeping every day!

Last edited:

sullyinMT

It is concerning that the CDC went with the less than 10% number rather than the far more accurate less than 1% number. It is one thing to be conservative but something else entirely to be that misleading. Its not a good look. Poor communication on their end at the very least.
I don't disagree, and as flaws are illustrated it should be revised. I still don't see much affect for WDW, though, as I'm sure they'd rather "pack 'em in," and masks are still the recommendation for large gatherings.

Where I do think they should revise guidance on this is outdoor masking on a cruise ship of 95% vaccinated passengers. Being on a distanced sun deck where everyone is vaccinated with a mandated mask is ridiculous. ~45% of attendees at the MK, especially if they up attendance limits? Probably still a reasonable precaution.

Nubs70

Ahem. The CDC was basing the 10% figure on data from China. Which lacked specificity in regards to whether 95 specific cases were caused by indoor or outdoor exposure.

That does not equal the CDC's data being "deeply flawed".
The CDC, just to cover their bases, should have stated <100%. They would have still been correct.

sullyinMT

They can't really increase outdoor capacity if they still requires masks indoors though, can they? Lines would stretch farther and wait times would increase.

Not that Disney necessarily cares about those things if it means more money in the register.
Not if they decrease spacing to 3'. We're getting signs of that happening, like rerouting Buzz to create room for MILF. If line spacing decreases, they should be able to get a few more people in the parks.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I don't disagree, and as flaws are illustrated it should be revised. I still don't see much affect for WDW, though, as I'm sure they'd rather "pack 'em in," and masks are still the recommendation for large gatherings.

Where I do think they should revise guidance on this is outdoor masking on a cruise ship of 95% vaccinated passengers. Being on a distanced sun deck where everyone is vaccinated with a mandated mask is ridiculous. ~45% of attendees at the MK, especially if they up attendance limits? Probably still a reasonable precaution.
My thought is because people can’t be trusted to put their masks back on once they get indoors. Not on vacation, at least. Tourist IQs plummet on vacation. This is something they’re avoiding, at least that’s my opinion. Maybe if people hadn’t needed their hands held every step of the way, this wouldn’t be an issue. But hindsight is 20/20 according to one’s eye exam.

havoc315

My thought is because people can’t be trusted to put their masks back on once they get indoors. Not on vacation, at least. Tourist IQs plummet on vacation. This is something they’re avoiding, at least that’s my opinion. Maybe if people hadn’t needed their hands held every step of the way, this wouldn’t be an issue. But hindsight is 20/20 according to one’s eye exam.

At some point, you have to trust adults to be adults (and to look after their children). "Put on your mask as you enter a building" is not an unreasonable standard.

Figgy1

Premium Member
No, and thank God. But the prevalence, morbidity and mortality of COVID is like nothing we've seen in a century. Pandemics can still be really awful in their own right without quite reaching bubonic plague levels of awfulness.
I can't even imagine what things would have been like if blood letting was considered cutting edge

sullyinMT

I liked the doors being open :/
I actually did, too. I also appreciate the adoption of those foot pull things on a lot of public restrooms.
I'm sure that's what they're thinking. But it wouldn't be anything to post a crew member at or near the doors, even lock a few along the promenade if necessary, to kindly remind guests.

ParentsOf4

It's understandable that the CDC is using a "conservative estimate". (Quoting from the CDC's response.) The CDC's focus during this pandemic is saving lives.

But data I have read elsewhere suggests that the rate of COVID transmission from casual outdoor contact, even among those who are unvaccinated, is essentially nil. Whether vaccinated or not, masks are not needed in most outdoor settings.

This demonstrates that political leaders need to factor in multiple considerations, not just the CDC's "conservative estimates" when setting policy.

IMO, the situation is more complex at WDW. We have a much more crowded outdoor environment, with people frequently going indoors and outdoors. I just don't think it's prudent for Disney to change its current mask policy any sooner than the Orlando area reaches the 70% target set by Mayor Demings. (And a good argument could be made that Disney should wait even longer.)

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I actually did, too. I also appreciate the adoption of those foot pull things on a lot of public restrooms.

I'm sure that's what they're thinking. But it wouldn't be anything to post a crew member at or near the doors, even lock a few along the promenade, to kindly remind guests.
As soon as people hear that masks are no longer required outdoors, it’s going to be a free for all.

FantasiaMickey2000

As soon as people hear that masks are no longer required outdoors, it’s going to be a free for all.
In almost every state in the union, at some point over the last year masks have been required indoors but not outdoors. People would be used to it already. There isn’t going to be mass anarchy. Cedar fair and Dollywood are already doing it. People on this thread act like society is going to burn down if you remove the outdoor mask mandate. It’s absurd.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
The CDC should vet the data. Had they done so, they should have seen their conclusion was scientific bat****e and not have published the <10% number. Instead publish the 0.1% - 1.0% so both the governors and the governed can adjust their lifestyles accordingly.
Ok, so how is going back and reviewing their practices going to change Disney’s current projections.

JD80

Just to throw a little bit of cold water, remember the pattern that emerged last year, cases dropped in May but began to sharply rise in June as the second wave hit and affected the Southern US as those residents retreated from the heat indoors to AC. This pattern is likely to occur again, it will be blunted by the vaccines, but the area of the country most likely to be afflicted in the coming months is the area with the lowest vaccination rates. Things could regionally spiral out of control there. I think the favorable weather pattern and high vaccination rates will make for an amazing summer in the Northeast and Pacific coast, the Midwest and Plains after a late start should be pretty good as well, but I fear for the SE (outside of FL, TX, and VA where vaccination rates are higher.)

Probably not as bad if it happens. Vaccines + the already infected should curb any large surges you saw last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom