Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

So part way through the summer my zoo (again huge, as big as the nahtazu AK) required outdoor masks. They just lifted that back to how it was a good portion of the summer.

FB_IMG_1620686654430.jpg

ParentsOf4

This superimposed image shows the problem the state of Georgia is facing.

The top half of the image shows the 1st dose vaccination rate on April 10, while the bottom half shows the 1st dose vaccination rate on May 10.

1620686726844.png

Georgia opened vaccines to all 16-and-over on March 25. (Scheduling my appointment on March 26, I was able to get my first dose on March 29.)

Focusing on those who had not yet been vaccinated on April 10 but were eligible on that date, less than 9% of eligible Georgians under the age of 35 got vaccinated between April 10 and May 10. Compare that to 16% ages 35-64, and 52% ages 65+.

Despite already having the lowest vaccination rates in the state, we just can't convince young people to get vaccinated.

We have tens-of-thousands of vaccination appointments going unused every day. :(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure, agree. I'm not advocating for immediate change and completely agree, I'd set a target of June 1st for Disney. Get past the memorial day rush, and then start returning quickly to a more normal operating mode so that by start of summer (June 15th, let's say), we're pretty much back.
That would likely sync up well with DLR if CA really drops their remaining Covid restrictions mid-June. I think the goal may be full speed ahead for the first week of July.
Speaking of mid-June....I saw that the new college program participants arrive June 14....just in time for our proposed ramp up to more normal operations. 🥳🎉💥🎊😎

Angel Ariel

That point right there, the social media posts from all the "look at me, I took my vaccine" is the one thing that really gets under the skin of the few people in my circle of friends and family that are anti vax the most. They look at those virtue signaling posts and just find more and more anger inside them to not get the shot. Don't get me wrong, I find those posts self serving and annoying and still got the vaccine, but, and this is entirely anecdotal data, as someone mentioned before that Biden wearing his mask outdoors only serves his own base and dissuades those on the fence, those social media posts do the same.

If people are truly taking social media posts about getting the vaccine as virtue signaling more so than expressions of relief, that says a lot about the state of empathy in this country.

Heppenheimer

That answer isn't entirely accurate for that question. Yes, the COVID vaccines are the first approved mRNA vaccines, but people have been getting mRNA vaccines as part of trials for other diseases since 2011.
It should also be noted that those other vaccines are still under trial, because they're for diseases with yearly case counts in the dozens to hundreds. It takes a very long time to prove clinical efficacy vs. a placebo with so few cases. COVID-19? Millions of cases in less than a year. The trials met their efficacy goals under those conditions very quickly.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's been fun, comrades, but I must return to my life of maskless villainy and plan vacations that do not require a doctor's note citing my bravery.

I apologise to those whose comments I could not respond to, But I thank you for allowing me to awaken Racoon-Tron and witness it in all its confused, half-witted glory!

Loyalty to the party! Loyalty to the Motherland!

BuddyThomas

If people are truly taking social media posts about getting the vaccine as virtue signaling more so than expressions of relief, that says a lot about the state of empathy in this country.
Until I got my own vaccine, I also didn’t understand all the people posting their vaccine pics on social media. I thought they were all bragging, etc. Once I got mine, I understood. It wasn’t bragging. It was people breathing a huge sigh of relief and wanting to share it with friends. It was sharing how we took a step to get back to normalcy. It was as sharing how we did something to protect ourselves and protect others. And with that in mind:

A0A0DFD2-E6CE-4DA8-BD46-3ADA980894B5.jpeg

ABQ

I'm sure there are many that like @BuddyThomas above have the best intentions in such a post, but as it is the very nature of social media, to believe that many, many posts are just looking for attention, likes, thumbs up, subscriptions to their vlogs, then you just don't have cynical bone in your body, and that's fine, as it's purely opinion based to think as negatively as I tend to do. As I own a dog, I'm always checking my shoe.

ImperfectPixie

I'm sure there are many that like @BuddyThomas above have the best intentions in such a post, but as it is the very nature of social media, to believe that many, many posts are just looking for attention, likes, thumbs up, subscriptions to their vlogs, then you just don't have cynical bone in your body, and that's fine, as it's purely opinion based to think as negatively as I tend to do.
It's also proof to everyone in their friends list that they're vaccinated and will be able to socialize in the very near future.

Disney Analyst

Seeing all my friends getting the vaccine and sharing on social brings me such joy - and I have to believe if we have any friends who are not considering the vaccine, that perhaps seeing all their buddies getting it will help encourage them.

I plan to share my vaccine pic on Friday when I finally get it! It's been a journey up here in Canada and I'm just so excited to get my shot, which is the weirdest thing to say... I never thought I'd say something like that two years ago.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I just saw this... has it been reported? Pfizer is approved for 12 to 15 year olds. 100% efficacy. I'm probably late to the party.
Yes. The FDA has approved the amendment to the emergency use authorization to go down to 12 year olds now for Pfizer. The CDC committee meets Wednesday and once they approve shots can be administered.

disneygeek90

Seeing all my friends getting the vaccine and sharing on social brings me such joy - and I have to believe if we have any friends who are not considering the vaccine, that perhaps seeing all their buddies getting it will help encourage them.

I plan to share my vaccine pic on Friday when I finally get it! It's been a journey up here in Canada and I'm just so excited to get my shot, which is the weirdest thing to say... I never thought I'd say something like that two years ago.
My childhood friends and I have a group chat, there’s about 6 of us. I think between us all we’re living in 5 different states now. It was really nice to hear everyone slowly getting access, and be able to share progress (and parents progress) along the way. All of us are now fully vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom