Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

I really wish more people understood this, or that various aspects of the government and media would make it more understandable to the average person.
Virus's need hosts.
They need to hop from one host to another, to another, etc.
Without hosts, they die out.
Oh, and vaccinations are the quickest and most effective way to break the chain of hosts.
When covid broke out, I saw some very clear illustrations circulating in the media depicting how each infected person infects two or more people who each infect two or more people, and infections rapidly compound that way. Like the old Faberge' Organics commercial.
How about some clear illustrations of how vaccinations interrupt that process?

Jenny72

I think the explanations offered here about why surges occur are reasonable, but they're not predictive. It's hindsight. So we don't know if the next surge will be in Texas, Mississippi, Africa, Japan, or all of the above. And unless you can predict that, all of this talk about how you personally knew this would happen is not that helpful. I didn't hear anyone saying, "watch out, Michigan!" a few months ago.

Yes, of course vaccines help us stop surges, and so far they are only thing that actually works. But as we can see, we have some challenges there. So we don't know what will happen in areas with lower vaccination rates, or when.

drizgirl

Yeah, that point is nonsensical. *All* of Disney's PR is filmed either while the park is closed or made to look that way. If they want maskless advertisements for the future, they'll make them.
They might have them already waiting to be used if/when the policy changes.

MickeyLuv'r

We have to wear masks until 2022....NOOOOOOOOO!!! Please don't say that....😭
The whole debate about masks kinda cracks me up.

A mask is nothing compared to a number of items women have worn/tolerated for years: Spanx/girdles, high heeled shoes, make-up, and bras (especially larger sized bras).

A few weeks ago, my local newspaper ran an article about how dress codes have relaxed for those who can work from home. Many women have stopped wearing the items listed above, and more, and they aren't welcoming those items back!

Recently WDW relaxed their dress code, so we'll see. The country is re-thinking many things right now.

I dunno, it just cracks me up a little. Like perhaps we're losing a little perspective.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 2.57.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 2.57.13 PM.png

sullyinMT

I think the explanations offered here about why surges occur are reasonable, but they're not predictive. It's hindsight. So we don't know if the next surge will be in Texas, Mississippi, Africa, Japan, or all of the above. And unless you can predict that, all of this talk about how you personally knew this would happen is not that helpful. I didn't hear anyone saying, "watch out, Michigan!" a few months ago.

Yes, of course vaccines help us stop surges, and so far they are only thing that actually works. But as we can see, we have some challenges there. So we don't know what will happen in areas with lower vaccination rates, or when.
What we do know is areas with lower vaccination rates, or vaccination + seroprevalence, will have it worse than areas with higher rates of vaccination. When, how bad, and for how long can be modeled but not fully predicted.

Especially now that we have seasonality helping drive things down naturally, it’s time to stack the deck in our favor.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I don't know why people focus on the rules of humans instead of the parameters set by the virus. Not wearing a mask is not getting away with anything, it's just potentially subjecting people to the virus, which doesn't care about societal rules or freedom.
The parameters led to guidelines. The guidelines have been nothing more than theater. People championed the guidelines of temperature screening and constant cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. They demanded it to keep everyone safe. Now, the same people all agree that temperature screening and cleaning surfaces is a waste of time and resources.

The CDC has flip flopped and quietly changed numbers more times than I can count. They recently dropped covid deaths by 5% and even changed the numbers on comorbidity, but nobodies talking about that.

And I'm not saying masks offer nothing. But it's been 14 months since "2 weeks to slow the spread" and by now, EVERYBODY has come into contact with covid in one form or another. And let's dispense with any pleasant thoughts that people are wearing masks to prevent spreading the virus. People wear the masks because they think it may prevent them from getting covid, which again, they've already come in contact with. Go to any shopping center or busy area and see how many masks are carelessly discarded on the ground, even within ten feet from a trash can. If people were wearing the mask to protect those around them they would not be so haphazard with discarding of their germ infested mask that they've been breathing in and leaving hanging on their rearview mirror baking in the Sun for days on end.

Which also brings up the question of why has there never been any strict protocol for discarding masks? These are the most germ infested things on the planet which are not only carrying germs from covid but Lord knows what else yet there is no strict protocol for how to discard them or any type of containment system.

They are however polluting our oceans and popping up in random places where they're being discarded and dumped by trash companies or they're just left to rot on the ground. Why is the CDC and Fauci not issuing guidelines for discarding these absolutely disgusting germ infested pieces of fabric that contain "the most deadly virus" we've seen in several generations?

Why? Because it's theater.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Numbers are dropping fast and hard in big states.

Florida continues to decline

The vaccines are definitely working!!!!
Or is that covid tests for non vaccinated people are at nearly double the cycle rate for the test of those who have been vaccinated.

Follow Israel as an example. I'm not saying 0 cases per week. But only trivial levels of disease that can easily be contact traced and contained.
Is there any reason to believe we can't do as well as Israel? Is American Covid different than Israeli Covid? They are down to under 0.5 cases per 100,000 -- and they are still dropping. Yesterday, they had 7 cases. The American equivalent would be about 200 cases per day.

We should aim for the same target as Israel.
If you are aiming at 200 cases per day, you will be waiting for a very long time, its not happening this year, next year.....

ImperfectPixie

The parameters led to guidelines. The guidelines have been nothing more than theater. People championed the guidelines of temperature screening and constant cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. They demanded it to keep everyone safe. Now, the same people all agree that temperature screening and cleaning surfaces is a waste of time and resources.

The CDC has flip flopped and quietly changed numbers more times than I can count. They recently dropped covid deaths by 5% and even changed the numbers on comorbidity, but nobodies talking about that.

And I'm not saying masks offer nothing. But it's been 14 months since "2 weeks to slow the spread" and by now, EVERYBODY has come into contact with covid in one form or another. And let's dispense with any pleasant thoughts that people are wearing masks to prevent spreading the virus. People wear the masks because they think it may prevent them from getting covid, which again, they've already come in contact with. Go to any shopping center or busy area and see how many masks are carelessly discarded on the ground, even within ten feet from a trash can. If people were wearing the mask to protect those around them they would not be so haphazard with discarding of their germ infested mask that they've been breathing in and leaving hanging on their rearview mirror baking in the Sun for days on end.

Which also brings up the question of why has there never been any strict protocol for discarding masks? These are the most germ infested things on the planet which are not only carrying germs from covid but Lord knows what else yet there is no strict protocol for how to discard them or any type of containment system.

They are however polluting our oceans and popping up in random places where they're being discarded and dumped by trash companies or they're just left to rot on the ground. Why is the CDC and Fauci not issuing guidelines for discarding these absolutely disgusting germ infested pieces of fabric that contain "the most deadly virus" we've seen in several generations?

Why? Because it's theater.
Everything you're saying here is untrue.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Everything you're saying here is untrue.
The CDC didn't change the numbers? People aren't saying that temperature screenings are a waste of resources? People don't throw masks on the ground? People don't think wearing a masks prevents them from getting covid?

I know this forum is literally your entire reason to exist and when the pandemic ends you'll no longer be able to virtue signal and be a brave hero warrior and tell people like myself that I'm a liar, but it doesn't change the fact that many people are starting to realize that a lot (not all) of what we've been told is completely wrong.

orky8

We can't accurately predict whether it will snow in winter where I live. Likewise, we can't pinpoint where the surges will pop because there are just too many variables. Most epidemiologists knew it was a race between the vaccines and the variants. UK lost the race, pivoted, and quickly caught up. Europe lost and is finally catching up at a good clip. Fortunately for the U.S., we largely won the race. Michigan, unfortunately, lost but we have enough vaccine in this country that even Michigan got caught up pretty quickly relatively speaking. There are trillions of variables as to where the spike will occur, so we couldn't say "watch out, Michigan!" What we could and did say was we need to get as many people vaccinated as possible to keep this under control and practice social distancing/masks until the race was won. We largely were able to accomplish that.

And yes, the race isn't over. There can still be spikes, but by and large, there is enough vaccinated population that the virus is going to struggle to get a foothold in the U.S. and we've seen that play out in the states that have opened. This is not herd immunity, where the virus dies off because it just can't find a host to jump to. Herd immunity in a global world may be impossible or decades away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom