Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

1) If you're new here, go back and read the dang thread. Some of us are done with having the same stupid arguments just because you don't feel like reading. Many of us have been discussing this since the beginning.

2) ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND AMERICANS DEAD IN ONE MONTH. That's a pretty big freaking deal.

ETA: And those deaths were WITH mandates and mitigations in place. I don't want to think what that number could have been if they weren't.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

What's clear (at least to me) is that there is a point where the government does step over the line. Are we going to be required to wear masks indoors when the number of COVID deaths drops below the historical average of influenza death (36,000 per year)? Are we going to be allowed to shake hands again? At what point does the government step over the line and violate our pre-existing rights?

It seems pretty simple and standard to me: your rights stop at my nose. Ergo, your "right" to not wear a mask upon entering the public square (indoors) is trumped by the rest of the folks' right to life (either directly, person to person, or societally, by spreading and lengthening the pandemic.)

Joesixtoe

It seems pretty simple and standard to me: your rights stop at my nose. Ergo, your "right" to not wear a mask upon entering the public square (indoors) is trumped by the rest of the folks' right to life (either directly, person to person, or societally, by spreading and lengthening the pandemic.)
Like many others I have to wear a mask all day at work, I can't imagine the pounding my lungs take. You think covid hits your lungs hard, I bet inhaling your co2 all day long isn't any better and don't be surprised if there isn't lawsuits popping up in the future cause of this. Are masks indoors good? Sure, but we weren't created for it and let's not prolong something just because the science is so divisive on the subject.

ImperfectPixie

Like many others I have to wear a mask all day at work, I can't imagine the pounding my lungs take. You think covid hits your lungs hard, I bet inhaling your co2 all day long isn't any better and don't be surprised if there isn't lawsuits popping up in the future cause of this. Are masks indoors good? Sure, but we weren't created for it and let's not prolong something just because the science is so divisive on the subject.
There is zero truth to the "CO2 buildup" theories. None whatsoever.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 3.37.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 3.37.41 PM.png

Touchdown

Please do some research on lung physiology. You inhale CO2 every day. A mask makes little difference, not when compared to all your airway dead space (150mL or 5oz in a healthy person.)

Heppenheimer

There is zero truth to the "CO2 buildup" theories. None whatsoever.

As an example, one of my patients with advanced COPD wears a mask religiously (he can't afford to get COVID, or it will be lights out for him). Wearing a mask, his O2 sats drop not a pinch, and his respiratory rate remains the same. When he was in the ER once this year, his CO2 level remained within normal limits on blood gas analysis, despite mask use.

Medical masks do not cause CO2 retention. That would defy physics.

Angel Ariel

As an example, one of my patients with advanced COPD wears a mask religiously (he can't afford to get COVID, or it will be lights out for him). Wearing a mask, his O2 sats drop not a pinch, and his respiratory rate remains the same. When he was in the ER once this year, his CO2 level remained within normal limits on blood gas analysis, despite mask use.

This goes back to the fact that people *choose* to be uneducated about this. It doesn’t matter how many times you say it. SMH.

ImperfectPixie

I mean, I get it. Masks and having to keep track of how close you are to other people suck.

But people are grasping at straws to get rid of safety measures RIGHT NOW, because that's what they want.

Tony the Tigger

Sorry, don’t buy this at all. See: medical professionals. See also: I have asthma.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

There are a lot of occupations that require regular wearing of masks, and not just in the medical field, also in places where there is risk of dust or other particulate inhalation. Mask wearing was also common in other countries, especially in Asia, prior to the pandemic. If there were serious risks to wearing a mask I think we would have known about it by now.

ImperfectPixie

There are a lot of occupations that require regular wearing of masks, and not just in the medical field, also in places where there is risk of dust or other particulate inhalation. Mask wearing was also common in other countries, especially in Asia, prior to the pandemic. If there were serious risks to wearing a mask I think we would have known about it by now.
NOT wearing a mask while grinding metals in jewelry was a major contributor to my aunt's relatively early death in her early 60s.

Chi84

Premium Member
I was at WDW last week when the heat indexes were around 100. Wearing a mask was extremely uncomfortable in that kind of heat and humidity. People were doing the best they could, but we did notice a lot of groups sitting wherever they could find some shade passing some drinks around. As long as you were sitting and sipping a bottle of water, I think you were okay as far as the rules were concerned. Disney Springs was very crowded, and if there were CMs enforcing any rules, we sure didn't see them.

We went to use expiring DVC points and we ended up skipping MK and one of our HS days. We did spend a lot of time at Blizzard Beach and the resort pool. My advice to anyone who is uncomfortable with masks and is considering going during the summer would be to wait until WDW relaxes the mask requirement, at least outdoors.

Tom P.

Isn’t that what is happening? Multiple states already have no statewide Covid restrictions, individual local areas like Orange County FL are relaxing their restrictions in a phased approach. Blue state governors in NY/NJ/CT/PA have all either set dates for the removal of Covid restrictions or talked about the timing and even the CA Governor suggested all Cpvid restrictions would be lifted there by mid-June if vaccination pace continued. It seems to me like we are well on our way to start lifting the Covid restrictions almost everywhere.
No, Gottlieb was actually arguing that they should pretty much be lifted immediately, at least for a large portion of the country. He said, "And so I think we're at a point in time where we can start lifting these ordinances in a wholesale fashion."

When Fauci was later asked about Gottlieb's opinion that we could start losing the indoor mask mandates, Fauci said he agreed, but also added that it would be coming soon and that the CDC would be updating its guidance as our cases get lower. So Fauci was more measured. But Gottlieb clearly thinks most of the indoor mask rules should be gone now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, Gottlieb was actually arguing that they should pretty much be lifted immediately, at least for a large portion of the country. He said, "And so I think we're at a point in time where we can start lifting these ordinances in a wholesale fashion."

When Fauci was later asked about Gottlieb's opinion that we could start losing the indoor mask mandates, Fauci said he agreed, but also added that it would be coming soon and that the CDC would be updating its guidance as our cases get lower. So Fauci was more measured. But Gottlieb clearly thinks most of the indoor mask rules should be gone now.
I agree with him. We can start lifting these ordinances in a wholesale fashion. That doesn’t mean everything has to be lifted today. Many states have either already lifted all restrictions or announced plans to lift most of them soon. It’s happening. We should all be happy and celebrate that the end is near. :)

I see some of this as the last gasp of people who spent over a year constantly fighting with each other. We are finally getting what most people wanted and restrictions are being lifted but some people (on both sides) aren’t ready to give up the fight. So people who wanted all restrictions dropped months ago are now going to gripe that it’s not happening fast enough because that’s all that’s left to gripe about. On the flip side people who claimed they wanted us to follow the science and keep reasonable restrictions for as long as they were needed now don’t want to see restrictions lifted, but that was the plan all along and they claimed they were on board.

For me, I’m happy to see the vaccine rollout working and happy to see the restrictions which were necessary at one point being relaxed. I’m perfectly happy to wait a little longer for everything to be rolled back. Where I live they opened the vaccine to the general public less than a month ago so many people who went in ASAP still haven’t gotten their second dose. In a month or less time we will be a lot further along. I also think we still need to fight to get the remaining people who are going to get the vaccine in and we can put this pandemic behind us for good. 👍👍👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom