Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

I am hoping that if we did pick up "something" from our just-completed Disney visit we can fight it off with our Pfizer vaccines. With the amount of people not social-distancing, and with masks not worn correctly (or fixing them when requested by cm's, and then pulling them back down as soon as they walked away, which we saw numerous times) I fear at least one of us will come down with "something" no matter how careful we were.
The bolded is just so disrespectful of others, I can't even.

hopemax

Another influential voice is spreading dangerous anti-vax disinformation, this time insinuating that the vaccines are killing more than 30 Americans a day. Here’s a detailed and helpful rebuttal (source carefully chosen to avoid framing this is as left vs. right issue):

The people who will buy into this are likely the same people who were telling everyone that people were dying with COVID and not from COVID. But when it comes to the vaccine...

GaBoy

Where are you finding that info?
I saw Florida at 10.5 US average around 10. No one over 14. But maybe this isn't a good source. Edit... had a k behind the cases. Its early. Need more coffee.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-081438_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-081438_Chrome.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20210509-081453_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-081453_Chrome.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Nubs70

The CDC basically has said that vaccinated people don't need to wear masks. From the CDC web site:

If you’ve been fully vaccinated:

• You can gather indoors with fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart.
The problem is, there aren't a lot of situations where you can guaranteed you are only around other vaccinated people.
That's what the 6ft clause covers

CatesMom

So, my take home was that the vaccine worked. But rather than making me completely invulnerable to COVID, a better description would be that the vaccine stacked the deck in my favor, and made it an unfair fight for the virus. But it didn't prevent the fight from occurring altogether.
Thank you for this insight. It explains precisely why I, as a fully vaccinated person, choose to surround myself with other fully vaccinated people. And why I am counting the days until my 13 year old can get her first shot. The more we can all stack the deck(s) in our favor, the better chance we all have to move forward gracefully.

Heppenheimer

I’m genuinely shocked National Review published this.
I haven't read the National Review in years, but my perception is that it represented the branch of conservatism that would never embrace Trump-style populism. And Trump's crowd would probably sneer "elitism" at its social, political and economic outlook. If William F. Buckley was still alive, I'm sure his attitude towards Trumpism could be described as "saucily contemptuous".

Last edited:

correcaminos

This is just an anecdote, but maybe informative to share. I'm just one individual, but it might provide some perspective in what a fully vaccinated person might expect if they are exposed to COVID.

For background, I'm a family physician and completed my vaccine series in January. When the pandemic hit, the hospital I work for instituted a special "respiratory care clinic" where we can address patients with respiratory ailments in a separate location, under full PPE, in a negative pressure exam room, and isolated from other patients. I work in this clinic about twice a month.

I won't go into the level of irresponsibility showed by this particular patient, but briefly, this week I saw a young woman for a very minor skin issue who we knew had tested positive for COVID. Even with her wearing a mask, and myself and the nurse in full PPE, I could literally see the clouds of respiratory secretions as she coughed heavily throughout the exam (I denied her request to remove the mask, because it made her "uncomfortable").

About a day later, I started to experience some of those vague feelings you get before an illness. Nothing severe, I just felt off. Then, I became mildly congested. Fearing for what may have been on the way, I isolated myself at home away from my wife (waiting for her second dose), 2 year old son (obviously not vaccinated yet), and two dogs, one of whom was very upset with this situation.

Luckily, the symptoms never progressed beyond extremely mild, and they're now gone. Despite being fully vaccinated and wearing full PPE, I have no doubt that what I experienced was my immune system fighting off COVID. Unknowable at this time is if I was actively shedding viral particles until my immune system finished the job.

So, my take home was that the vaccine worked. But rather than making me completely invulnerable to COVID, a better description would be that the vaccine stacked the deck in my favor, and made it an unfair fight for the virus. But it didn't prevent the fight from occurring altogether.
Don't you think you should have tested yourself to be sure? Nothing personal but there are a lot of colds still circulating that may or may not have been that. To test would given data we need to understand this all. Especially if you were in full PPE and such knowing would help science figure this out.

ParentsOf4

Do Georgia, Texas, Florida et al have higher vaccination rates than other places? If not, then the argument that government restrictions are hampering vaccination doesn’t really follow.
Georgia's 1st dose vaccination rate by age:

1620565943612.png

As you can see, it's extremely high for those 65-and-over, but dreadful for those 34-and-younger.

My twentysomething year old children (who have all received their second doses) tell me that many of their (liberal college educated) friends view COVID as an "old person's disease." :(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I mean... They're not wrong. But old people's lives matter too... Even if a lot of them are a bunch of a-holes.
They actually are wrong. When talking about death only there‘s a much higher risk for older people, but I don’t know where so many people got the idea that Covid only effects old and sick people. That narrative has been repeated so many times I think a lot of people actually believe it. That’s why the vast majority of cases today are young people (who didn’t get the vaccine yet) and a large portion of hospitalizations today are also young people. Besides death there are a lot of reasons why Covid sucks. Here‘s a few: potentially feeling terrible for days or a week, missing work and leisure activities while sick and/or quarantining, potentially losing your sense of smell or taste, potentially ending up in the hospital (not common but not rare either) and even an overnight stay in the hospital without a trip to the ICU will land you with a bill in the thousands (even with most insurance), potentially suffering from long haul symptoms (blood clots, strokes, permanent lung damage, neurological issues, heart inflammation, extreme fatigue). So it’s not an old person’s disease when any of those things happen to you. The alternative to taking that risk is getting a free, easily accessible and perfectly safe vaccine. Seems like a no brainer.

...and a recent article supporting the increase in cases and hospitalizations among the young and healthy:

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
They actually are wrong. When talking about death only there‘s a much higher risk for older people, but I don’t know where so many people got the idea that Covid only effects old and sick people. That narrative has been repeated so many times I think a lot of people actually believe it. That’s why the vast majority of cases today are young people (who didn’t get the vaccine yet) and a large portion of hospitalizations today are also young people. Besides death there are a lot of reasons why Covid sucks. Here‘s a few: potentially feeling terrible for days or a week, missing work and leisure activities while sick and/or quarantining, potentially losing your sense of smell or taste, potentially ending up in the hospital (not common but not rare either) and even an overnight stay in the hospital without a trip to the ICU will land you with a bill in the thousands (even with most insurance), potentially suffering from long haul symptoms (blood clots, strokes, permanent lung damage, neurological issues, heart inflammation, extreme fatigue). So it’s not an old person’s disease when any of those things happen to you. The alternative to taking that risk is getting a free, easily accessible and perfectly safe vaccine. Seems like a no brainer.
I had covid last year in May. It was basically the flu for me and my fiancee. Terribly sad for those who were drastically affected by Covid. I've gotten my 2 shots to keep everyone safe, especially my 72 year old dad. Because obviously it is fatal. But... Like. It is the "old people disease" in my opinion. Just looking at death counts. A lot of what you mention is just the typical inconvenience of getting sick.

(I also apologize in advance for those who read my post you quoted before I edited it. That was idiotic of me to type.)

ImperfectPixie

I had covid last year in May. It was basically the flu for me and my fiancee. Terribly sad for those who were drastically affected by Covid. I've gotten my 2 shots to keep everyone safe, especially my 72 year old dad. Because obviously it is fatal. But... Like. It is the "old people disease" in my opinion. Just looking at death counts. A lot of what you mention is just the typical inconvenience of getting sick.

(I also apologize in advance for those who read my post you quoted before I edited it. That was idiotic of me to type.)
You should consider yourselves lucky. There are people who will have to deal with the long-term effects of COVID for the rest of their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom