Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Perkis

I can’t expect people to stop living their lives to protect me either. That’s honestly not fair for anyone to ask. I don’t see myself as “expendable” and I don’t want people to have pity for me because of my health. Ive learned to live with this over several years. It’s human nature to adapt. I’ll keep doing that.
You haven’t had to live with Covid-19 precautions for several years.

ColeTrain04

You haven’t had to live with Covid-19 precautions for several years.
You’re kind of right and you’re kind of wrong. I’ve definitely had to be careful way before Covid. I work from home during flu season. I’m big on hand washing. I’ve learned to kee my distance from others. The only thing I never did pre Covid was wear a mask. Covid to me isn’t any different than any other virus. My doctor actually told me that I need to be out and about and get exposed to things because the vaccine doesn’t protect me as well and because I have to have my T cells wiped. Look I could literally wake up tomorrow and not be able to walk. I can’t let that get me down. It is what it is. I choose to live and I don’t expect anyone to change their life simply because I might be at risk. I was at risk before Covid.

Flugell

You’re kind of right and you’re kind of wrong. I’ve definitely had to be careful way before Covid. I work from home during flu season. I’m big on hand washing. I’ve learned to kee my distance from others. The only thing I never did pre Covid was wear a mask. Covid to me isn’t any different than any other virus. My doctor actually told me that I need to be out and about and get exposed to things because the vaccine doesn’t protect me as well and because I have to have my T cells wiped. Look I could literally wake up tomorrow and not be able to walk. I can’t let that get me down. It is what it is. I choose to live and I don’t expect anyone to change their life simply because I might be at risk. I was at risk before Covid.
Prior to this post I honestly thought you were a pain in the neck-apologies- I now think I have a bit more understanding and a lot more compassion. I think we’re probably rather similar!
As an older person I am aware that I haven’t got that much time left to enjoy life and am as keen as you to return to normality. You are living with a horrible disease and don’t know the short or long term consequences of it. Hopefully very few! So yes, you want to be able to enjoy life to the fullest in the shortest possible time which I now understand.
I also want things to go back to normal as soon as possible but I want to wait until it is “safer.” My husband (72) is currently immunosuppressant because of drugs he is taking and I want him to be around to enjoy the normality with me! If it was me in his situation I would probably feel like you- just get on with it- but because it is the true love of my life, yes soppy but true, I don’t want to face even a small extra risk. His doctor told him to avoid the unvaccinated at all costs so that has terrified me, him less so.
I hope this ramble, it’s 4am in the U.K., helps to explain we can both want identical outcomes but prefer to achieve them by different routes.
Take care and stay safe.

Stitch826

Nobody is being punished. It’s simple, life goes back to normal when community spread drops low enough and stays down, we get to that level by getting enough people vaccinated, we don’t have enough people vaccinated yet. So we wait. It’s not a punishment it’s a pandemic.
Here’s the frustrating thing for me. Common sense alone dictates that a financial incentive would result in an increased number of people getting vaccinated. Whether it’s $100 or $500, numbers would go up. So why have senators not made any proposals for something like this? Yet they have no problem sending out trillions in stimulus payments and unemployment checks.

fgmnt

Every time I see the phrases of personal choice/responsibility, I feel as though my eyes are about to fall out of my head. It's a public health crisis; framing decisions you should make during the crisis on the basis of personal responsibility is dividing by zero. It's speaking in Latin. It's wearing your skin inside of your body. It's driving a car with no tires. It is so beyond the realm of elementary school levels of logical deduction that this line of thinking in and of itself could be considered a clinical condition. 600,000 Americans are not going to be any less dead at the end of this pandemic, but God help us in any future globe-spanning crises that affect the Unites States.

Angel Ariel

If the vaccine works, restrictions are based on even less then they were originally based on. If you believe the vaccine works, then there is no need for restrictions. Get the widely available Vax and you are safe.

btw....get the vaccine and you are safe.
Would love to get my daughter the vaccine. As soon as one is available to her. It’s not widely available to all ages yet, and there are children who have high risk who do not yet have access.

Tony Perkis

ImperfectPixie

Heppenheimer

This is just an anecdote, but maybe informative to share. I'm just one individual, but it might provide some perspective in what a fully vaccinated person might expect if they are exposed to COVID.

For background, I'm a family physician and completed my vaccine series in January. When the pandemic hit, the hospital I work for instituted a special "respiratory care clinic" where we can address patients with respiratory ailments in a separate location, under full PPE, in a negative pressure exam room, and isolated from other patients. I work in this clinic about twice a month.

I won't go into the level of irresponsibility showed by this particular patient, but briefly, this week I saw a young woman for a very minor skin issue who we knew had tested positive for COVID. Even with her wearing a mask, and myself and the nurse in full PPE, I could literally see the clouds of respiratory secretions as she coughed heavily throughout the exam (I denied her request to remove the mask, because it made her "uncomfortable").

About a day later, I started to experience some of those vague feelings you get before an illness. Nothing severe, I just felt off. Then, I became mildly congested. Fearing for what may have been on the way, I isolated myself at home away from my wife (waiting for her second dose), 2 year old son (obviously not vaccinated yet), and two dogs, one of whom was very upset with this situation.

Luckily, the symptoms never progressed beyond extremely mild, and they're now gone. Despite being fully vaccinated and wearing full PPE, I have no doubt that what I experienced was my immune system fighting off COVID. Unknowable at this time is if I was actively shedding viral particles until my immune system finished the job.

So, my take home was that the vaccine worked. But rather than making me completely invulnerable to COVID, a better description would be that the vaccine stacked the deck in my favor, and made it an unfair fight for the virus. But it didn't prevent the fight from occurring altogether.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

This is just an anecdote, but maybe informative to share. I'm just one individual, but it might provide some perspective in what a fully vaccinated person might expect if they are exposed to COVID.

For background, I'm a family physician and completed my vaccine series in January. When the pandemic hit, the hospital I work for instituted a special "respiratory care clinic" where we can address patients with respiratory ailments in a separate location, under full PPE, in a negative pressure exam room, and isolated from patients. I work in this clinic about twice a month.

I won't go into the level of irresponsibility showed by this particular patient, but briefly, this week I saw a young woman for a very minor skin issue who we knew had tested positive for COVID. Even with her wearing a mask, and myself and the nurse in full PPE, I could literally see the clouds of respiratory secretions as she coughed heavily throughout the exam (I denied her request to remove the mask, because it made her "uncomfortable").

About a day later, I started to experience some of those vague feelings you get before an illness. Nothing severe, I just felt off. Then, I became mildly congested. Fearing for what may have been on the way, I isolated myself at home away from my wife (waiting for her second dose), 2 year old son (obviously not vaccinated yet), and two dogs, one of whom was very upset with this situation.

Luckily, the symptoms never progressed beyond extremely mild, and they're now gone. Despite being fully vaccinated and wearing full PPE, I have no doubt that what I experienced was my immune system fighting off COVID. Unknowable at this time is if I was actively shedding viral particles until my immune system finished the job.

So, my take home was that the vaccine worked. But rather than making me completely invulnerable to COVID, a better description would be that the vaccine stacked the deck in my favor, and made it an unfair fight for the virus. But it didn't prevent the fight from occurring altogether.
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing.

You have truly been a blessing during this entire thing with the information you've shared.

CaptainAmerica

For background, I'm a family physician and completed my vaccine series in January. When the pandemic hit, the hospital I work for instituted a special "respiratory care clinic" where we can address patients with respiratory ailments in a separate location, under full PPE, in a negative pressure exam room, and isolated from patients. I work in this clinic about twice a month.

Thanks for sharing. The real win, I think, is not just that you felt some symptoms but fought them off, but that it is extremely unlikely that *you* passed the virus on to anyone else.

ColeTrain04

Prior to this post I honestly thought you were a pain in the neck-apologies- I now think I have a bit more understanding and a lot more compassion. I think we’re probably rather similar!
As an older person I am aware that I haven’t got that much time left to enjoy life and am as keen as you to return to normality. You are living with a horrible disease and don’t know the short or long term consequences of it. Hopefully very few! So yes, you want to be able to enjoy life to the fullest in the shortest possible time which I now understand.
I also want things to go back to normal as soon as possible but I want to wait until it is “safer.” My husband (72) is currently immunosuppressant because of drugs he is taking and I want him to be around to enjoy the normality with me! If it was me in his situation I would probably feel like you- just get on with it- but because it is the true love of my life, yes soppy but true, I don’t want to face even a small extra risk. His doctor told him to avoid the unvaccinated at all costs so that has terrified me, him less so.
I hope this ramble, it’s 4am in the U.K., helps to explain we can both want identical outcomes but prefer to achieve them by different routes.
Take care and stay safe.
I get that you don’t want to take risks and to be honest nobody is making you. You are making the choices you feel are best for your family. I obviously want everyone to get vaccinated so this thing will get under control. But I can’t play the “oh poor me” card. I don’t live my life that way and I don’t want anyone else to think they’re doing me a favor because you aren’t. Your outlook on life is something you control. You can choose to have a good day or a bad day. You can also choose to live in the moment because tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. Truth is nobody gave a damn about my health prior to last year and I don’t expect people to care now. I just really feel that if it isn’t incentivized better than it is now then people will stop getting it and we will never get it completely under control. I also feel that there will be tons of people who will let up on public health guidelines because they’re fatigued. Which is why they should be relaxed when we really don’t need them. I feel people would be more accepting of them in the future if they’re needed. We all want the same thing.

pixie225

I am hoping that if we did pick up "something" from our just-completed Disney visit we can fight it off with our Pfizer vaccines. With the amount of people not social-distancing, and with masks not worn correctly (or fixing them when requested by cm's, and then pulling them back down as soon as they walked away, which we saw numerous times) I fear at least one of us will come down with "something" no matter how careful we were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom