Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is crazy to try to keep up with this thread. Everytime I jump 50 pages, I need to jump 50 more.

I took my first shot (Moderna) yesterday. I purposefully scheduled both my shots on Fridays in case of side effects. It took a bit to find a Friday appointment.

Also, my employer expects all of us (with medical and religious exemptions) to receive our second shot by June 28th.

We are keeping our fingers crossed for a November Disney cruise. We assume 14 year old son will need vaccine to board.
I think you have a real good shot at both having your 14 year old vaccinated and having DCL back by November. I’ve been wrong about as much as I’ve been right on predicting stuff related to Covid so take it with a grain of salt ;). I feel pretty confident about that prediction though. The only caveat is you may have to fly to Houston or Baltimore or New Orleans to get on the ship if the Governor holds firm on his order. DCL is starting up limited cruises in the U.K. soon so hopefully back in business in the Caribbean by the Fall while following the CDC guidelines :)

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
That’s not really the point though. We don’t know the long term of anything ever until the long term happens. I only change my behavior if there is an anticipation that the long term has the potential to actually cause harm. I don’t change my behavior because there is always a chance of something going wrong.

In an extreme example I ate a bagel with cream cheese and had a cup of coffee this morning for breakfast. Since the long term hasn’t happened yet should I have avoided that breakfast because we don’t know it won’t cause an issue years from now? I’ve eaten bagels and had coffee before and nothing happened to me (just like I’ve taken plenty of vaccines before the Covid one with no issues) but I haven’t had a bagel from this particular place or their coffee. How do I know long term it won’t result in a medical issue. Seems pretty silly but that’s basically what we are saying about the vaccines. We have absolutely no evidence whatsoever that there is any potential for long term health issues but yet people argue its rational to not want to get it because there still could be long term health issues.
Depends on if that coffee and bagel place has been there for awhile and others have experienced it over time right? All I’m saying is we don’t know the long term affects of covid anymore than we do the vaccine or a new taco from Taco Bell lol

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
You may not be anti-vaccine but you are repeating a baseless anti-vaccine talking point in a manner that gives it credibility. This is how these movements grow, by using seemingly innocuous means of suckering us into giving them credence. If they are right/reasonable about this one big issue then they might be right/reasonable about other issues as well.
People should be able to think for themselves and make their own decisions tho. Therein lies the problem. That and we have a country full of stupid people (on both sides of the political isle and in the “media”)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Depends on if that coffee and bagel place has been there for awhile and others have experienced it over time right? All I’m saying is we don’t know the long term affects of covid anymore than we do the vaccine or a new taco from Taco Bell lol
I agree. I don’t avoid a new taco at Taco Bell until I have several years of data to see if anyone had a long term adverse reaction. I just eat it and usually end up with a rather short term adverse reaction....then I wonder why I went to Taco Bell in the first place ;)

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No. You just go back to personal responsibility. Get vaccinated, live normal. We don’t have to litigate this.
How does that work? So we say once you are vaccinated you don’t need to follow any rules? How do we know who is vaccinated? My kids aren’t vaccinated yet so I walk into CVS and the guy behind us in line has no mask and isn’t distancing so I’m supposed to trust him that he’s fully vaccinated? You have much more faith in humanity. The very people who fought masks and rules all year aren’t going to start wearing a mask now voluntarily because they aren’t vaccinated. That’s a fairy tale.

If I’m WDW how do I know which guest needs to wear a mask and which doesn’t? I’d be fine with a system that requires we show proof of vaccination to not wear a mask in public. I’d wear a lanyard around my neck or a wrist band but I know many people would be highly opposed to that. Unfortunately the most practical way is to set a public vaccination percentage.

lazyboy97o

No, it does not depend. If the bagel is somehow contaminated it’s going to make you sick within days, not months or years later.
People should be able to think for themselves and make their own decisions tho. Therein lies the problem. That and we have a country full of stupid people (on both sides of the political isle and in the “media”)
Just because you let someone make a decision for themselves does not mean the decision should be respected. A person can choose to rack up a bunch of credit card debt for a Walt Disney World vacation, but it’s not a prudent or respectable decision.

corsairk09

Point is you, as a citizen of the US, do not have the "freedom" to do whatever you want. You can't just pick arbitrary things and say "I'm losing my freedom!!!!" when a new law is passed or new public safety measures are put in to place.
Except.... Doing that is literally how we became a country.

disneygeek90

No, it does not depend. If the bagel is somehow contaminated it’s going to make you sick within days, not months or years later.

Just because you let someone make a decision for themselves does not mean the decision should be respected. A person can choose to rack up a bunch of credit card debt for a Walt Disney World vacation, but it’s not a prudent or respectable decision.
If the bagel vaccine is somehow contaminated causing side effects it’s going to make you sick within days, not months or years later.

hopemax

Not exactly correct.

As a bit of a science history buff, I assure you that there are numerous instances in history where the scientific consensus was wrong.

When it comes to vaccines, I believe the scientific consensus is right, but I also acknowledge that they (and I) could be wrong.

Again, I encourage everyone to get vaccinated. It is the safest thing you can do.
When the consensus is wrong, we learn because of evidence. Also, a methodology that can be verified and replicated. All the people trying to be smarter than everyone else by questioning the consensus, use a lot of word salad to lead people into the weeds. What they never provide is evidence. Especially, evidence specific to the situation at hand. Like the story mentioned above with the spike protein. People take random facts and then squash them together in ways that make no sense, but they act as if they've broken a secret code and wink at each other.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 2.37.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 2.37.58 PM.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You don’t know, you don’t worry about it. You are vaccinated.

edit to add, at some point you are going to have to make peace with this. Not everyone will be vaccinated.
Ok so different argument then. You just want all rules gone for everyone immediately and it has nothing to do with vaccination status. I am fully aware that we won’t get 100% of people vaccinated. I am unwilling to accept the 33% fully vaccinated today is the end. I am perfectly fine with relaxing all Covid rules when community spread drops lower. I acknowledge that’s a difficult to follow or track and challenging to evaluate target. I am perfectly fine with setting a vaccination percentage (a practical expedient) as a measurable and controllable target instead of basing it solely on infection rate which is harder to measure and track. If we hit the vaccination target and the vaccines work as advertised (they do) then we will see the impact in cases and that’s so easy to follow. Every day @DCBaker tells us where Orange County is on percent vaccinated. Really easy to follow.

If we dropped all Covid restrictions today for everyone do you think vaccinations go up or down? Wasn’t the original poll you posted saying some people would only get vaccinated if they got out of wearing a mask so if they dropped masks everywhere today what incentive do those people have to get vaccinated? I’m fine with holding on to some restrictions a little longer until vaccinations get higher. I shouldn’t have to since I’m fully vaccinated but I do it for the greater good. We aren’t far away. M already looks better than March and April and June will look much better than May. I’m hoping for a return to mostly normal by July. It could have been June if the resistors just got their shots.

FormerMember

If we dropped all Covid restrictions today for everyone do you think vaccinations go up or down?
No. I’m not saying that. I’m saying if you get vaccinated, live normally. Those are the rules. Yes I realize that impossible to “enforce” in any meaningful way. But just say it that way, put it out there, and I believe people will get vaccinated. The fence sitters.

hopemax

Except.... Doing that is literally how we became a country.
I don't know where people today got the idea that the founders were against laws and rules for society. They just didn't want kings and dictators declaring things and the people having zero power. The COVID restrictions were, by in large made at a local level which is what was intended. By resisting that stuff people aren't honoring out country at all. They are trying to opt out of all the annoying things about society while keeping all the good stuff. Doesn't work that way.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No. I’m not saying that. I’m saying if you get vaccinated, live normally. Those are the rules. Yes I realize that impossible to “enforce” in any meaningful way. But just say it that way, put it out there, and I believe people will get vaccinated. The fence sitters.
In theory I agree, but as you say there is no practical way to do it. In defense of the government they tried that approach in private settings. They said once vaccinated you can get together at home indoors without a mask and get together with low risk family members even if they aren’t vaccinated and you don’t have to wear a mask outdoors anymore if not in a crowd. Those changes were dismissed as not enough because the people dismissing them were already doing those things anyway. There’s no practical way to drop masks and distancing in public settings for only people who are vaccinated without a passport system.

My posts were in reference to a practical public health policy that can actually be implemented. Get vaccinated and help get the percent up to the target and we all get out of all Covid mitigations. It’s easy to track and easy to accomplish if enough people buy in. I’m not as convinced as you that people will go in and get vaccinated if we drop all restrictions. Why would they bother if their only motivation was to get out of wearing a mask. The fence sitters I know that have gotten the vaccine did so because their work was strongly recommending it and/or they thought they would need one to travel. Even the girl at the Rite Aid I went to told me to keep my vaccination card safe because we are all going to need them to travel soon. I know that’s likely not true, but like anything else if enough people say it enough times it becomes accepted as true and that’s cool with me if it gets people to take the vaccine.

Tom P.

For those who say that "get vaccinated and you can stop masking" messaging wouldn't make a difference in vaccine adoption rates, new polling data out shows that it would. In fact, the poll shows that people across all political groups as well as across all racial/ethnic groups would be more likely to take the vaccine if they could stop masking once they did. Overall, the number of people willing to get vaccinated increased by 13% if they could drop mitigation measures once vaccinated, which the science says they should be able to do.

Here is a brief Twitter thread from the former surgeon general commenting on this as well as other potential incentives, and it contains the actual poll results.

ImperfectPixie

I don't know where people today got the idea that the founders were against laws and rules for society. They just didn't want kings and dictators declaring things and the people having zero power. The COVID restrictions were, by in large made at a local level which is what was intended. By resisting that stuff people aren't honoring out country at all. They are trying to opt out of all the annoying things about society while keeping all the good stuff. Doesn't work that way.
Yup. What started out as a quest for religious freedom (by the Puritans) evolved into a fight against taxation without representation...thus, America was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom