Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamusAranX

Once those vehicles have logged over 1 billion flights is it still logical to worry about the kinks? At that point the 20 years of research aren’t even relevant because you have so much real life data to look at.
True, but to many, when they hear "this is an mRNA vaccine", they probably scratch their head like me and wonder, uh, what the heck is that. It's pointed out earlier in this thread, I believe by @Heppenheimer (I could be wrong) that mRNA vaccines have been researched since SARS, as well as Zika and other viruses. But until a couple months ago, I had no idea; and so I wouldn't expect the public to know how many "miles" are really under the belt on these vaccine types. Major news outlets never really go into detail on it.

lazyboy97o

True, but to many, when they hear "this is an mRNA vaccine", they probably scratch their head like me and wonder, uh, what the heck is that. It's pointed out earlier in this thread, I believe by @Heppenheimer (I could be wrong) that mRNA vaccines have been researched since SARS, as well as Zika and other viruses. But until a couple months ago, I had no idea; and so I wouldn't expect the public to know how many "miles" are really under the belt on these vaccine types. Major news outlets never really go into detail on it.
How many “miles” they have is the number of doses administered. Even if mRNA vaccines had been developed start-to-finish in only a few months, millions have now received them without issue.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It depends on which news outlet. There is a doctor who lives near me in PA who was a regular contributor on CNN and I have seen multiple interviews with her talking about her years of mRNA research. They covered it a lot leading into the approvals and again for a few months after it was approved. I thought it was pretty cool because the first time I saw her she was interviewed from her home which is the next town over from mine. Crazy the whole basis for the Pfizer vaccine came from a woman I could have seen at the grocery store or out at dinner. In any case there was quite a bit of coverage but it may have been deemed biased by some and ignored. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

Here is one of the stories:

Chi84

Premium Member
I would not say done, just simple rule breakers. Come on Disney, you’ve made the rules - make people adhere to them or give them the choice of leaving. People will be at Disney because they’re aware of the current rules and may have chosen to stay away if they knew they wouldn’t be maintained. Also people currently at Disney know what the rules are and if they’re not prepared to abide by them then they shouldn’t be there.
People are doing the best they can here with the heat, but I really doubt there are too many coming here because they want compliance with COVID restrictions. CMs aren’t confronting anyone unless they are obviously in noncompliance - like no mask at all or wearing one completely pulled down. I heard that at one point there were CMs stationed around the park to ensure mask compliance but I haven’t seen that. There are constant announcements though.

disneygeek90

Ok, using your example, if we invented commercially sold personal spacecraft vehicles tomorrow after a few years of research, would you be the first to ride and adopt that new technology? Maybe you’re brave enough but many would rightfully say “woah. That’s some new tech and if they didn’t work out all the kinks, I could die in space”. They might wait and see, and is that really such an irrational decision. But let’s say you take the plunge and ride it. You have tons of fun. And when you read the research, you find that it’s actually been 20 years since they started the development, and recently had a breakthrough. You could then tell friends and family; hey! It’s safe and fun! And it’s actually been in the works for this many years! Some may then decide to buy one too. Humans are slow to change sometimes especially when it involves their health, even if it’s an irrational concern. Now, if after educating someone about vaccine benefits, they still remain stubborn. Well at that point you’ve done what you could.
That was the test groups! They did the “risk” part for us. They tried it out and told us it was safe.

Bill in Atlanta

It depends on which news outlet. There is a doctor who lives near me in PA who was a regular contributor on CNN and I have seen multiple interviews with her talking about her years of mRNA research. They covered it a lot leading into the approvals and again for a few months after it was approved. I thought it was pretty cool because the first time I saw her she was interviewed from her home which is the next town over from mine. Crazy the whole basis for the Pfizer vaccine came from a woman I could have seen at the grocery store or out at dinner. In any case there was quite a bit of coverage but it may have been deemed biased by some and ignored. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

Here is one of the stories:
There was a time when CNN did quality reporting like that all the time. Sadly, times have changed and cable news as a whole is mostly a waste of time.

Flugell

People are doing the best they can here with the heat, but I really doubt there are too many coming here because they want compliance with COVID restrictions. CMs aren’t confronting anyone unless they are obviously in noncompliance - like no mask at all or wearing one completely pulled down. I heard that at one point there were CMs stationed around the park to ensure mask compliance but I haven’t seen that. There are constant announcements though.
I get that it is hot and most likely unpleasant! However that doesn’t change Disney’s rules that they have chosen to adopt. Announcements are not working as someone who is there says that people aren’t following the rules. If I was there I would be “asking” people, politely the first time to mask up and socially distance according to what Disney says. I would also be expecting CMs to back me up. Not liking a rule, or believing it is not necessary, it is not an excuse to ignore it! If I could get there 😞from the U.K. I would only go to Disney if the mitigations I expected to be in place were enforced. Sorry to be a pain but without knowing how many people have been vaccinated that is the only way I would consider visiting.
Does anybody know, just out of interest, that if when you booked they promised masks and distance but when it became closer to your visit date things had been removed are Disney prepared to cancel your booking without financial penalty?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There was a time when CNN did quality reporting like that all the time. Sadly, times have changed and cable news as a whole is mostly a waste of time.
Yeah, I can only stomach it for a few minutes at a time, especially at night. It is fun to turn on Fox and see them reporting on a story as if it’s the biggest news of the century with headlines blaring across the screen and then turn on CNN and they aren’t even covering the story and vice versa. Really shows how skewed and biased they have become. Mostly entertainment vs news, especially at night.

Chi84

Premium Member
I get that it is hot and most likely unpleasant! However that doesn’t change Disney’s rules that they have chosen to adopt. Announcements are not working as someone who is there says that people aren’t following the rules. If I was there I would be “asking” people, politely the first time to mask up and socially distance according to what Disney says. I would also be expecting CMs to back me up. Not liking a rule, or believing it is not necessary, it is not an excuse to ignore it! If I could get there 😞from the U.K. I would only go to Disney if the mitigations I expected to be in place were enforced. Sorry to be a pain but without knowing how many people have been vaccinated that is the only way I would consider visiting.
Does anybody know, just out of interest, that if when you booked they promised masks and distance but when it became closer to your visit date things had been removed are Disney prepared to cancel your booking without financial penalty?
I doubt they’re too focused on that. I’m also pretty sure they don’t want guests trying to enforce the rules and “expecting” CMs to back them up.

BrianLo

From what I understand, the reasoning is that even though the elderly are the most vulnerable, the young do the most spreading, especially with the new dominant variants. So, opening up to everyone is sort of a compromise to hit both ends of the spectrum at once.

Given Canada's slow role out, politics also might play a role. It might be too much of political poison pill to leave out any age group at this point.

There was a bit of confusion I think amongst that conversation. The 12-15yo qualification has been strictly for at risk medical conditions. This was already occurring and actually came before Canada's emergency approval. It was flung on us last week and temporarily required a Paediatrician to sign off and counsel about its off-label usage. That logistically and feasibly was not possible and instead the screening occurred with the appointment. I think now with emergency use it is no longer required. As you know, about half of what we do is off label in Peds.

General population wise - 30+ opened up today for the booking system and 12+ opens May 10... but I assume the 12+ group will have fairly far flung appointments. We can book appointments months out in Alberta right now, if you qualify. As an aside, Alberta is a mess, but it has the most unified healthcare system in North America.

It's not just political. We actually have enough doses arriving next week for 10% of the population. After a very, very, very sluggish start, the gap has surprisingly closed and April was amazing. I wouldn't be surprised for Canada to overtake the US in a few weeks, mostly because demand here seems much stronger for a variety of reasons. The least of which is the current wave and a lot more public urgency to want the vaccine.

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 19.28.47.png

Flugell

I doubt they’re too focused on that. I’m also pretty sure they don’t want guests trying to enforce the rules and “expecting” CMs to back them up.
Why not? If they don’t do it what do they expect the worried, conforming guests to do? Just ignore it? No magic there!

Flugell

Guests confronting other guests is not magical. In fact it’s pretty much Disney’s nightmare.
Absolutely agree, which is why the CM’s should continue to enforce/persuade people to follow their rules. It shouldn’t be people following the rules who feel they have to leave because they don’t feel safe. I appreciate that you have said that not a great many people seem bothered any more but even if it is only the small minority who feel uncomfortable with the lack of distance or masks, they are, according to Disney’s current guidelines, the ones in the right. If they cannot enjoy their vacation that is simply not fair. I realise that people who are against the rules will feel that by following the instructions it will restrict the enjoyment of their vacation but they knew what the situation was when they booked their holiday or chose to visit the park for a day.
Having said all that I wouldn’t want to be a CM having to confront people but they have been doing that, so I’ve read, until recently so should continue to do so and be well supported by security, if that becomes an issue. That would also be very unmagical though. Hopefully people would respond positively, though I appreciate that may be rather optimistic!
I’m genuinely not trying to be difficult but am alarmed at the idea that terms and conditions for entering the parks are not being followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom