Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

Does it have perfect logic? But to an average human being it would seem that way. I’m a logical person yet I was astounded (in a good but “woah” way) with how fast at first it seemed these vaccines came about. I had no idea that the actual research was in the works since 2003. The media didn’t really go into those details. Thankfully I did the research. Help others who think it seemed too fast to understand. Even if you can convince one person on the fence, that’s an accomplishment!
An average human isn’t going to know how we shoot people into space and landed people on the moon. How we invented airplanes. How we invented internet and wifi and blutooth. How we eliminated diseases and conduct brain surgeries. Yet here we are, trusting all of those things on a daily basis. “Time” has no correlation to “quality.”

Jenny72

Those social distancing lines make sense in a bank, but they don't make any sense in a theme park when people have parties of 4 or more and include young kids. I don't understand how two parties of 5 are supposed to use those social distancing lines and actually keep 3 feet apart unless they somehow try to line up on the line, which there isn't room for. I think the only way to do it is to space yourself apart. But then they should just not have stickers and tell you do that at the start of the line.

SamusAranX

It's a bit odd that you saw this and thought 'let me go stick it to some people on a Disney forum!'

Well, and a year ago feels like 10 years ago, there wasn't a lot known about mRNA, whether or not it could be used in this situation, etc. Also, because of how the vaccine process typically is, they were correct in thinking it would be unrealistic because the process wouldn't allow it. Instead, they crashed the whole process (completing items not in sequential order, but parallel).
Exactly my point. To much of the general public this knowledge isn’t being disseminated, at not by major media outlets. They will quote experts and the CDC stating it’s safe and effective, but some people do have anxiety about it naturally, especially from groups who have been exploited by the government in the past (basically 20 percent plus of our population, persons of color). They don’t have to breakdown a science paper, but a simple, “these vaccines types have actually been in development since 2003, “research has progressed well due to increased funding”, I.e. simple statements like that can help some on the fence. Not all, but some. And that’s a victory

Disney Experience

I can give a summary of vaccine hesitancy that I hear at times even today. These objections never seem to die out. (I do not at all agree with what a coworker claimed, most of it has been heard here before, and I am just amazed it is still a common thing I hear from people who say some should not get vaccinated)

Today at work an elderly (70+) coworker who has been vaccinated said when asked by people whether they should get vaccinated he tells people the following:
1. If you have comorbidities or over 65 get vaccinated.
2. If you are over 45 maybe get vaccinated.
3. If under 45 do not get vaccinated, there is no need to.
4. If under 18 definitely do not get vaccinated. Very low rate of transmission, almost zero risk of serious problems if no comorbidities., and Israel has gotten Covid under control without vaccinating minors, and has no intention to.
Then he went on and said he heard on Orlando TV station channel 6 a news reporter saying an investigation of a young person who died from covid actually died from a motorcycle accident.
That a relative of his had a death in the family due to cancer who also had covid and the doctor said we will send CDC that the person primary reason of death is covid so it will be covered 100% instead of 80%. But the death record will have as cause being cancer.
Then he said most of the deaths reported as covid is people with covid , but they did not die because they had covid.
He said vaccines could have long term effects no one knows about yet. He relatively dismissed the risk of long-covid.
That most of the death count is just other death causes being reassigned to covid.

I disagree with his position(I will not go into all of my counter arguments in this post).
He has no enthusiasm for getting people vaccinated in order to reduce/eliminate covid. (He said we have many types of flu and just live with it, so we should just accept covid and not worry since most people will be asymptomatic).

He is intelligent in his field (Which is neither clinical nor research medicine to be clear), but it does show that the resistance to vaccinating everyone who can be vaccinated is common, as are the arguments used to rationalize the argument.

Now that all adults can get vaccinated I do hope people do get vaccinated and not follow his suggestions. Even now I am surprised so many still think the risk of being vaccinated outweighs the benefits unless one has a comorbidity or are elderly. I do hope we get to herd immunity in this country (and someday worldwide), but there is a lot of people thinking of not getting vaccinated, and that does make getting to herd immunity more "challenging".

Last edited:

Jenny72

I think there is a move to try to explain it to people. I mean, it is confusing how the vaccines came out and how they work. Once people really learn how the pace was sped up by doing the production first and doing various stages simultaneously rather than one after the other, and how the technology was in development much earlier, they do tend to feel better, especially when this information comes from someone close to them and not from "the government." Honestly, this seems very reasonable to me. It's human nature to prefer the devil you know to the devil you don't, and right now a natural illness, terrible though it is, feels like the more known devil to many people. (Not to me, but it's understandable.)

SamusAranX

An average human isn’t going to know how we shoot people into space and landed people on the moon. How we invented airplanes. How we invented internet and wifi and blutooth. How we eliminated diseases and conduct brain surgeries. Yet here we are, trusting all of those things on a daily basis. “Time” has no correlation to “quality.”
Ok, using your example, if we invented commercially sold personal spacecraft vehicles tomorrow after a few years of research, would you be the first to ride and adopt that new technology? Maybe you’re brave enough but many would rightfully say “woah. That’s some new tech and if they didn’t work out all the kinks, I could die in space”. They might wait and see, and is that really such an irrational decision. But let’s say you take the plunge and ride it. You have tons of fun. And when you read the research, you find that it’s actually been 20 years since they started the development, and recently had a breakthrough. You could then tell friends and family; hey! It’s safe and fun! And it’s actually been in the works for this many years! Some may then decide to buy one too. Humans are slow to change sometimes especially when it involves their health, even if it’s an irrational concern. Now, if after educating someone about vaccine benefits, they still remain stubborn. Well at that point you’ve done what you could.

sullyinMT

Did the Mayor mention when he thought the county would reach 50%? I know it’s at 46.17% now, which seems close. We arrive on May 30th and really would like masks outdoors to be optional at that point. Thanks in advance!
At the time of the announcement the estimate was a couple weeks. Doesn’t matter for WDW, as they haven’t announced any intent to follow the same timeline. In fact, the consensus around the forums is they’ll keep masks for a while longer. Remember WDW exists (mostly) in OC, but is on its own timeline. I wouldn’t expect much to change in that regard for your trip. But it will still be a lot of fun!

MaximumEd

Ok, using your example, if we invented commercially sold personal spacecraft vehicles tomorrow after a few years of research, would you be the first to ride and adopt that new technology? Maybe you’re brave enough but many would rightfully say “woah. That’s some new tech and if they didn’t work out all the kinks, I could die in space”. They might wait and see, and is that really such an irrational decision. But let’s say you take the plunge and ride it. You have tons of fun. And when you read the research, you find that it’s actually been 20 years since they started the development, and recently had a breakthrough. You could then tell friends and family; hey! It’s safe and fun! And it’s actually been in the works for this many years! Some may then decide to buy one too. Humans are slow to change sometimes especially when it involves their health, even if it’s an irrational concern. Now, if after educating someone about vaccine benefits, they still remain stubborn. Well at that point you’ve done what you could.
That’s actually a solid analogy.

SorcererMC

Ok, using your example, if we invented commercially sold personal spacecraft vehicles tomorrow after a few years of research, would you be the first to ride and adopt that new technology?
Interesting example. A family member was a computer systems analyst checking for glitches in fighter jets. Another was a pilot. And another wants to maybe work for NASA.

ETA: I guess my only point here is that the learning curve is steeper for some people than others.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Once those vehicles have logged over 1 billion flights is it still logical to worry about the kinks? At that point the 20 years of research aren’t even relevant because you have so much real life data to look at.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
At the time of the announcement the estimate was a couple weeks. Doesn’t matter for WDW, as they haven’t announced any intent to follow the same timeline. In fact, the consensus around the forums is they’ll keep masks for a while longer. Remember WDW exists (mostly) in OC, but is on its own timeline. I wouldn’t expect much to change in that regard for your trip. But it will still be a lot of fun!
My gut says Disney waits for mid-June when CA is projecting to relax most of their own Covid restrictions then they can make a uniform change at WDW and DLR. Right now 3 feet of distancing isn’t allowed in CA and masks will still be required long after OC Florida isn’t requiring them.

MaximumEd

Once those vehicles have logged over 1 billion flights is it still logical to worry about the kinks? At that point the 20 years of research aren’t even relevant because you have so much real life data to look at.
The anti-personal spacecraft rocket science deniers will just say wait until all the cancer from the anti-matter engines kicks in 10 years from now. And the other half of the folks on the personal spacecraft message boards will be telling them how they’re just a bunch of uneducated rubes. Pretty sure that’s how it would shake out.

sullyinMT

For most people, that would be the right way to look at it. If one or a few segments of society were the repeated unwitting guinea pigs of personal space flight, they might need a little more outreach to their community.

GaBoy

I would not say done, just simple rule breakers. Come on Disney, you’ve made the rules - make people adhere to them or give them the choice of leaving. People will be at Disney because they’re aware of the current rules and may have chosen to stay away if they knew they wouldn’t be maintained. Also people currently at Disney know what the rules are and if they’re not prepared to abide by them then they shouldn’t be there.
I dont know. I'm not sure they're so much "sneaking" as "just not as cognizant" anymore. I guess my point is that for a growing number of people (maybe I just see it more Ga/Fl) COVID isn't in the forefront. I notice people when I am out drifting closer. In parts of the country not locked down as hard, its pretty evident.

Incomudro

The one thing from over a year of this thread that astounds me more than anything is just how many people here think they are so, so much smarter than the average, ignorant American and look down their noses at their fellow citizens. The amount of arrogant elitism in this one thread on a Disney forum is just astonishing.
LOL, you noticed that too?
Some of the same forum members are experts on everything, from imaginearing to medicine...

HarperRose

The one thing from over a year of this thread that astounds me more than anything is just how many people here think they are so, so much smarter than the average, ignorant American and look down their noses at their fellow citizens. The amount of arrogant elitism in this one thread on a Disney forum is just astonishing.
I can say with 100% certainty I am smarter than the average ignorant American. I won't apologize for it.

DisneyCane

A quick little story to illustrate how delayed the daily reporting of "the numbers" can be. I was required to get a COVID test for a minor medical procedure that I had earlier today. The outpatient center where I had it done required that a test be done and that patients get swabbed one week prior to their appointment. I got swabbed last Thursday and got the result from my physician on Tuesday (he said his office received it on Monday). Yesterday, I got a text from the Florida Department of Health that they had received a COVID test result associated with my phone number and that I could download an app to view it.

My negative result was likely listed on the report that came out today shown as a result from yesterday. Therefore it seems that a lot of the trends that we analyze here actually occur several days before we see them.

I guess I can be added to the stats as one of the 150 million fully vaccinated who hasn't had a breakthrough case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom