Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarperRose

I’m married to a BSN, CCRN who has led an incredible clinical career and left bedside for industry pursuits almost five years ago. I work with nurses every day, and naturally have a number of them in my circle of friends. It will never cease to amaze me the spectrum on which the profession exists.

I said it a few months back, but the level of education a nurse has attained, and more importantly their motivation for being a nurse matter. Do they want to improve the quality of life of those they serve, or do they want a guaranteed job to pay off their first - less lucrative - degree?
In my niece's case, she's a BSN, specializing in OB. She works on the L&D floor, delivering babies.

Touchdown

Ask RN's if all doctors are brilliant. They will tell you that some doctors are very good and some are dangerous while most are adequate. It is quite reasonable that RN's are skeptical.
To not trust a doctor on an individual level is understandable, to not trust the entire FDA, CDC and researchers around the world is another. This isn’t about not trusting a doctor, this is about not trusting the medical society as a whole. Not to mention, these shots have been given to millions by now. I won’t rehash this but instead just put this out there too:

Ask doctors if they think all RNs are brilliant. They well tell you some are amazing, most are very good but some are dangerous. They also aren’t trained or credentialed (unless an NP) to give an opinion on vaccines. You should not be relying on them to give said opinion more then any person off the street. Also, if any doctor is deviating severely from their societies standard of practice they should be reported for doing so.

CatesMom

So if Pfizer gets 12-15 approved and DD12 can get her shot by May 14th with no delay in 2nd dose, she'll be fully protected come vacation June 18th. After that we're running into that 2 week gap to build immunity. Think I'll be stalking the FDA for the next few days lol
I'm stalking on your heels. We are also headed on vacation in mid-June. I would love for DD13 to be fully vaccinated (v2+2) beforehand, but at the very least, I'm hopeful we can hit v1+2, which should provide about 80% immunity. That's significantly more protection than she has now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So if Pfizer gets 12-15 approved and DD12 can get her shot by May 14th with no delay in 2nd dose, she'll be fully protected come vacation June 18th. After that we're running into that 2 week gap to build immunity. Think I'll be stalking the FDA for the next few days lol
Me too. We leave for vacation June 20th so for my son to be fully immune by then he needs to get the first Pfizer shot by May 15. Shouldn’t be an issue if they approve by Monday May 10.

ImperfectPixie

In my niece's case, she's a BSN, specializing in OB. She works on the L&D floor, delivering babies.
I should have also added that her father - my step-dad - is a THREE time cancer survivor who doesn't freaking believe in germs. I swear the only reason he's still alive is because my mother is a maniac about germs even when he's not getting chemo, and she went off the charts when he was.

sullyinMT

My step-sister is an Oncology nurse. Who doesn't believe in vaccines. And her patients are extraordinarily vulnerable to sickness when they're in chemotherapy treatment.
No offence to your step-sister, but she really should be relocated if she's refusing flu and COVID vaccines (on the assumption your parents vaccinated you as children). But that's just as much a system failure.

ImperfectPixie

No offence to your step-sister, but she really should be relocated if she's refusing flu and COVID vaccines (on the assumption your parents vaccinated you as children). But that's just as much a system failure.
I don't know about my step-siblings because they were raised by their mother, and their father only married my mother after we were already adults. I do know that he doesn't believe in germs though. (He's an idiot.)

But I agree...she should be relocated.

sullyinMT

Me too. We leave for vacation June 20th so for my son to be fully immune by then he needs to get the first Pfizer shot by May 15. Shouldn’t be an issue if they approve by Monday May 10.
I'm stalking on your heels. We are also headed on vacation in mid-June. I would love for DD13 to be fully vaccinated (v2+2) beforehand, but at the very least, I'm hopeful we can hit v1+2, which should provide about 80% immunity. That's significantly more protection than she has now.
We're headed to Charlotte and Asheville in July. We're comfortable being 50% protected, but adding the 13 year old to the mix is going to be a huge breath of fresh air. Even for those who have travelled, the psychological hump of vaccine protection is huge.

ImperfectPixie

We're headed to Charlotte and Ashland in July. We're comfortable being 50% protected, but adding the 13 year old to the mix is going to be a huge breath of fresh air. Even for those who have travelled, the psychological hump of vaccine protection is huge.
I feel so bad for my 10-year-old since he'll be the last of us to be able to get vaccinated...he just wants to be able to share toys at recess again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We're headed to Charlotte and Ashland in July. We're comfortable being 50% protected, but adding the 13 year old to the mix is going to be a huge breath of fresh air. Even for those who have travelled, the psychological hump of vaccine protection is huge.
Definitely true. We still have an 11 year old who won’t be eligible but if he can’t get it from his parents and his brother that takes the most likely way to be infected off the table. Psychologically it is a big deal for me as a parent I am way more concerned about my kids getting sick than myself even though they are lower risk.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
How the pandemic will be ended in US soon by months? Will they will may reach herd immunity by months? Is NJ and NYC will be much safe by August/September or October without masks and social distancing (outdoor & indoors)

JD80

Supposedly, once that age group is approved, it's attached to the current EUA and you should be able to go into a CVS walk in the same day.

lazyboy97o

To not trust a doctor on an individual level is understandable, to not trust the entire FDA, CDC and researchers around the world is another. This isn’t about not trusting a doctor, this is about not trusting the medical society as a whole. Not to mention, these shots have been given to millions by now. I won’t rehash this but instead just put this out there too:

Ask doctors if they think all RNs are brilliant. They well tell you some are amazing, most are very good but some are dangerous. They also aren’t trained or credentialed (unless an NP) to give an opinion on vaccines. You should not be relying on them to give said opinion more then any person off the street. Also, if any doctor is deviating severely from their societies standard of practice they should be reported for doing so.
Nursing is one of those jobs that hard and often thankless, so nobody wants to speak poorly about them. And while I have people in my life who were saved by nurses not listening to bad doctors, on a whole there is a reason they are generally not the ones making the decisions for care.
"Somewhere in the world, there is the world's worst doctor, and someone has an appointment with them tomorrow."
Discuss Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

ImperfectPixie

How the pandemic will be ended in US soon by months? Will they will may reach herd immunity by months? Is NJ and NYC will be much safe by August/September or October without masks and social distancing (outdoor & indoors)
We don't know exactly when we'll hit the herd immunity threshold, but everyone is working very hard to get us there. We *think* we will be done with masks and distancing in late summer/early fall based on the information available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom