Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed 1000%.

Same with the vaccine. I’m not for or against it but people are on extreme sides telling others it is wrong to choose to get it or not and I have a problem with that.

There is no FDA approved vaccine. That’s an important piece of information many people seem to want me to ignore.
There will be most likely this month :). The FDA will have the full 6 months of safety data and the vaccines are exceedingly safe. If the FDA gives full approval it really doesn’t change anything now. If they found safety issue in those 6 months than obviously they wouldn’t get approval and we would already know about it. The EUA still took a rigorous look at safety before being authorized. It’s not like they said “we have no idea what will happen, just take it and let’s find out”. The phase 3 trials themselves were unprecedented in scale for modern vaccines and the results were quite possibly the most scrutinized in history.

sullyinMT

Absolutely it will make a difference for me.
I’m not totally against getting one. I’ve tried to go twice to the “walk-in” option near me and each time have been told “appointment only right now” - I currently can’t find an appointment except for J&J which I don’t want.
Fair enough. Hopefully there are a LOT more like you, and not in the camp of the continued excuse finders. License likely won’t change the need for an appointment, though

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m not totally against getting one. I’ve tried to go twice to the “walk-in” option near me and each time have been told “appointment only right now” - I currently can’t find an appointment except for J&J which I don’t want.
Pfizer should get full approval first and it may be by the end of May or even sooner :)

Vegas Disney Fan

To tie this back to Disney, I’m sure some folks here would pay even more than $20 if the shot came with a complimentary limited-edition piece of merchandise linked to a certain attraction on its way out.
My employer is offering an additional day of paid time off, a free nights stay at our resort, and a drawing for $500 gift cards.

All we have to do is show proof via vaccination card prior to May 14, I already had my vaccine but it’s open to every employee whether you got the shot before or after the offer was made.

I prefer incentives over mandates or threats.

Tom P.

Walmart just announced that all their pharmacies nationwide are moving to walk-in for vaccinations. Appointments will still be available, but not required. Perhaps there's one near you that would be convenient?

Heppenheimer

Agreed 1000%.

Same with the vaccine. I’m not for or against it but people are on extreme sides telling others it is wrong to choose to get it or not and I have a problem with that.

There is no FDA approved vaccine. That’s an important piece of information many people seem to want me to ignore.
But as explained multiple times throughout the past few days, the only thing keeping the vaccines from full approval at this point is that they need long-term efficacy data. They already met the full requirement for safety when the EAU was granted.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
My employer is offering an additional day of paid time off, a free nights stay at our resort, and a drawing for $500 gift cards.

All we have to do is show proof via vaccination card prior to May 14, I already had my vaccine but it’s open to every employee whether you got the shot before or after the offer was made.

I prefer incentives over mandates or threats.
Wow, I love that. Money talks - and it's a win-win for the company in terms of health and safety.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fair enough. Hopefully there are a LOT more like you, and not in the camp of the continued excuse finders.
I actually think it could be a nice boost. For people who are hesitant due to “the vaccines being rushed” having that full approval May matter a lot. The good news it should come sooner than later so we may get a bump in vaccinations as a result. There’s no massive swells of people going in anymore. We have to keep the trickle going. This will help.

Chip Chipperson

I know they have. It took my father, who has underlying health conditions, about a month or so to go and do it. Vaccinated people are going to start having social occasions and gatherings with each other, and there will be fear of missing out. Graduations, birthdays, holidays, etc. That creates social norms around getting vaccinated and it starts to radiate out through social networks.

A lot of the people refusing to get vaccinated are the same people who refused to change their behavior for the past 13-14 months. They had friends over without masks, both outdoors and indoors. They went to parties at friends' and family members' homes. If they refuse to accept that the virus is a real danger then nothing will convince them to get a vaccine because they're not altering their lives as it is - and when you add in anti-vax propaganda on social media then they start to believe that it's all a big conspiracy and that the virus is minor but the vaccine is dangerous and anything that contradicts their beliefs is either part of the conspiracy or coming from a sheep who isn't as enlightened as them.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
A lot of the people refusing to get vaccinated are the same people who refused to change their behavior for the past 13-14 months. They had friends over without masks, both outdoors and indoors. They went to parties at friends' and family members' homes. If they refuse to accept that the virus is a real danger then nothing will convince them to get a vaccine because they're not altering their lives as it is - and when you add in anti-vax propaganda on social media then they start to believe that it's all a big conspiracy and that the virus is minor but the vaccine is dangerous and anything that contradicts their beliefs is either part of the conspiracy or coming from a sheep who isn't as enlightened as them.
Absolutely. I didn't like oat milk before it got popular and I sure as heck don't like it now that it's omnipresent. Why would anyone think I'd suddenly change my mind about it?

Figgy1

Premium Member
I actually think it could be a nice boost. For people who are hesitant due to “the vaccines being rushed” having that full approval May matter a lot. The good news it should come sooner than later so we may get a bump in vaccinations as a result. There’s no massive swells of people going in anymore. We have to keep the trickle going. This will help.
Locally we're still fully booked. It's nowhere near as bad as getting a BOG ADR but the "good" times go almost as soon as they're released the less popular times before the day of. I feel sorry for anybody counting on a walk up without checking first

Tom P.

Fair enough. Hopefully there are a LOT more like you, and not in the camp of the continued excuse finders. License likely won’t change the need for an appointment, though
FWIW, I think there are more people in the "meh, maybe" category than in the ardent anti category.

For example, I teach IT classes at a junior college. I had a student whose parents are on very different sides of the fence and have given him very mixed messages about the vaccine. My student had kinda waffled back and forth on it, thinking that he might get it at some point, but not really taking any action.

Today, we partnered with a local pharmacy to have a vaccine clinic on-site during class hours. Guess what? He got vaccinated.

I think as the convenience factor increases -- like with Walmart announcing people can walk in to any of their pharmacies nationwide without an appointment -- we will see many of those kinds of people start to get vaccinated.

I don't think the situation is as dire as some think it is.

ImperfectPixie

FWIW, I think there are more people in the "meh, maybe" category than in the ardent anti category.

For example, I teach IT classes at a junior college. I had a student whose parents are on very different sides of the fence and have given him very mixed messages about the vaccine. My student had kinda waffled back and forth on it, thinking that he might get it at some point, but not really taking any action.

Today, we partnered with a local pharmacy to have a vaccine clinic on-site during class hours. Guess what? He got vaccinated.

I think as the convenience factor increases -- like with Walmart announcing people can walk in to any of their pharmacies nationwide without an appointment -- we will see many of those kinds of people start to get vaccinated.

I really, really hope you're right.

sullyinMT

It’s going to be interesting. I plan to sweat a lot so I am not looking forward to unintentionally water boarding myself with a mask 😬.
The blue paper disposable type are by far the most comfortable, if not wasteful. Disney’s own are great but a little pricey for me personally. Just DON’T wear those Tommy Copper ones from Home Depot. Those have been my favorite in the drier mountain air, but I legitimately thought I was going to suffocate even in the mild Florida November.

sullyinMT

I have a buddy who has been waffling, too. He’s mid 40’s and a little more than a little overweight, so ripe for a severe case. My coercion wasn’t working, and he kept repeating “it affects old fat people.” When his wife reminded him he’s old and fat, he begrudgingly went in for his JnJ so that it was one and done.
Not hesitant per se, just couldn’t be bothered. So, I hope you’re right that the walk-in convenience moves a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom