Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeymiss

I always leaned more towards masks and distancing rather than lockdown. I was supportive of a short term lockdown but masks started to seem like the best compromise. Open businesses to whatever extent that reduces crowds and wear a mask. I think there are a few indoor places where the mask rule can be relaxed now that a vaccination is available to every person. I think a lot of people want to take it slow simply because this pandemic did a lot of psychological and social damage along with the obvious cost to health. People are entitled to feel strange trying to go back to normal.

DisneyCane

This is the current biggest obstacle.

If Republicans don’t want to be vilified, they should collectively make smarter decisions regarding the vaccine.
These polls may be correct for the 45-64 age group but they must be WAY under sampling the under 40 demographic. There is no way that 2/3 of any political party under 40 has already been vaccinated or is in the process of getting vaccinated in the very near future.

At the present time, if anybody should be vilified it should be young people. There are shots available everywhere with easy appointments and the uptake of the young adults is incredibly slow.

@GoofGoof has been posting these polls for months and the consensus was 70% of adults would get vaccinated. We aren't close to that or looking like that will happen anytime soon. Those polls had the same political split as these newer polls do.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
These polls may be correct for the 45-64 age group but they must be WAY under sampling the under 40 demographic. There is no way that 2/3 of any political party under 40 has already been vaccinated or is in the process of getting vaccinated in the very near future.

At the present time, if anybody should be vilified it should be young people. There are shots available everywhere with easy appointments and the uptake of the young adults is incredibly slow.

@GoofGoof has been posting these polls for months and the consensus was 70% of adults would get vaccinated. We aren't close to that or looking like that will happen anytime soon. Those polls had the same political split as these newer polls do.
We are at 56% of adults with one shot. The previous poll I posted showed roughly 60% of people saying they would get the shot as soon as possible and another 10% that said they would probably get it eventually to get to 70%. Then another 9-12% who said they might get the shot and 18-20% said no, never. Based on current pace we will likely hit 60% of adults with 1 shot in a few weeks. It will take a while longer to get the rest in to get from 60 to 70 or 75. The polls seem to be fairly accurate. I know there’s a political bias that causes people to assume any poll that says something they don’t like is wrong, but they seem to be giving us a fairly accurate picture. In my county currently we are just under 70% of adults with at least 1 shot. I assume we max out well above 75% and maybe get to 80%. There is still a fairly steady demand.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
We are at 56% of adults with one shot. The previous poll I posted showed roughly 60% of people saying they would get the shot as soon as possible and another 10% that said they would probably get it eventually to get to 70%. Then another 9-12% who said they might get the shot and 18-20% said no, never. Based on current pace we will likely hit 60% of adults with 1 shot in a few weeks. It will take a while longer to get the rest in to get from 60 to 70 or 75. The polls seem to be fairly accurate. I know there’s a political bias that causes people to assume any poll that says something they don’t like is wrong, but they seem to be giving us a fairly accurate picture. In my county currently we are just under 70% of adults with at least 1 shot. I assume we max out well above 75% and maybe get to 80%. There is still a fairly steady demand.
Is we will get to 75% people got vaccinated then there will be no more masks and social distancing by months?

ParentsOf4

One side need to stop denying science and seeding doubt in the safety of the vaccines that the medical community almost universally endorses, and since that side pretty much only listens to one specific populist blowhard, he needs to do more to instill confidence and faith in a vaccine, far more than what he’s done currently.

This will cease to become a partisan issue when one side makes it less partisan.
Let's also remember that two traditionally Democratic groups (young and minorities) also are lagging behind.

Current data from the CDC:

1620081442813.png

The problem exists on both sides.

How do we convince those remaining to get vaccinated?

Previous ideas I have had include:
  1. Have a social media push by celebrities. This needs to be by celebrities who are popular within the targeted demographics.
  2. Have private businesses offer "mask free" days to those with proof of vaccination. (I would love this to happen at WDW!)
Any other ideas?

Chomama

Let's also remember that two traditionally Democratic groups (young and minorities) also are lagging behind.

View attachment 554362

1. Have a social media push by celebrities. This needs to be by celebrities that are popular within the targeted demographics.
  2. Have private businesses offer "mask free" days to those with proof of vaccination. (I would love this to happen at WDW!)
Any other ideas?
Money. Give people a financial incentive and you will get a lot more takers

DCBaker

Premium Member
  1. Have a social media push by celebrities. This needs to be by celebrities that are popular within the targeted demographics.
Any other ideas?

On your first - this is May 8th.

"VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World is celebrating the hope that COVID-19 vaccines are offering families and communities around the world. We are calling on world leaders to step up to make sure vaccines are accessible for all so we can end the pandemic for everyone, everywhere."

hopemax

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but not anymore since you've posted it twice. I posted a link to the media releases about the study yesterday. At the time I had already seen that the next conspiracy theory was the vaccine was unsafe because the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein is damaging. For everyone else to be aware...

What is included in the vaccines is NOT a full SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. Apparently, an actual SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, shapeshifts from a small stubby, into a long pointy thing that forces itself into cells. Geneticists figured out how to stabilize the protein in its pre-change state, before using it in the vaccine, based on previous research done with other viruses. The thing that makes the spike protein so destructive, is the thing the vaccine is designed to prevent from occurring. Bruce Banner vs the Hulk. The vaccine is the Bruce version, the virus has the Hulk version. And now conspiracy theorists are going to use the thing that makes the vaccine work as the reason why the vaccine is dangerous.

This is a story about the Moderna tweak.

The study itself includes discussion about how the vaccines are effective at preventing endothelial damage.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They also had a very low seroprevalence before the vaccine so we can be encouraged that in regions with high levels of previous infection 45% should make a huge difference. I’m hopeful!

but that’s like “almost” winning a nuclear war, isn’t it?

How much progress can be linked directly to the vaccine performance versus natural herd immunity versus seasonal patterns? Can you direct me to sources? My state is staying in a much higher range than desired for cases. Mask mandates are firmly in place and high vaccine compliance. I don't understand why higher stakes businesses shouldn't use an abundance of caution until we see results. I think that's more important than reaching a percentage goal of vaccinated people. I want to see that it's working. The last thing anyone should want is for any measure we do to be for nothing. I still think July is a reasonable time to see restrictions removed in every state but I wouldn't blame companies like Disney for dragging a little behind that.

The “natural herd immunity” was dumped as fast as “doctor” atlas...
the vaccines provide real protection...leaving it to “nature” will allow pockets of recurrence, mutation and eventually re-infection.

not perfect...but you go as far as you can go.

You are probably right and they probably will lift them.

It is really exhausting and disheartening to see how little the disabled and medically fragile are considered in all of these decisions.

I don’t think they will anytime soon.

I don't think it's right for Disney to keep putting CMs in the position of enforcing it when they will bear the brunt from people who don't like it. There are other ways of encouraging compliance like verbal narration and visual cues.

they are paid employees...and they have been doing just this.

they are bound to HR, code of conduct, and corporate policies.

“not getting the pouty face” isn’t a consideration

and I’m Always Pro-labor. You can check that if you want in posts...but this is just part of a job.

I don’t like it...but I’m not gonna call it “wrong”

SorcererMC

the vaccines provide real protection...leaving it to “nature” will allow pockets of recurrence, mutation and eventually re-infection.

and I’m Always Pro-labor. You can check that if you want in posts...but this is just part of a job.

I thought there were reports of CMs getting spit on and physical confrontations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought there were reports of CMs getting spit on and physical confrontations.

there were...but those are the kind of outliers that are always gonna happen.

those Jackholes were properly ejected as well.

I spent 8 days there recently and saw full compliance and no incidents. And the mood seemed that if anything did happen...the crew and the other customers would have no problem backing someone up. I know I have no issue with that. Public embarrassment/pressure does still work.

Patcheslee

The 16-24 group has surpassed the 25-34 group for percentage at least started in Florida.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

so are you betting the younger demographics don’t “diverge” Just like the older ones have?

how much lira you putting on that?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

View attachment 554362

1. Have a social media push by celebrities. This needs to be by celebrities who are popular within the targeted demographics.
Any other ideas?

Hesitancy by minorities has been trending down. Their concern is 'the government,' and after seeing the White community racing for it, they're seeing it's not some sort of trap.

Amongst youth and young adults, schools and job vaccine requirements will catch them up in the Fall.

Chomama

Sure it is but I am trying to be realistic and hopeful that we can achieve some slowing of this thing. I have ZERO hope of getting anywhere near 70% vax rate so I am HOPING natural infection also helps. What else can we hope for at this point?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure it is but I am trying to be realistic and hopeful that we can achieve some slowing of this thing. I have ZERO hope of getting anywhere near 70% vax rate so I am HOPING natural infection also helps. What else can we hope for at this point?
That’s not an unreasonable expectation...

I’m not really willing to “Lower expectations” at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom