Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

• Walking, running, hiking or biking outdoors alone or with members of their household
  • Attending small outdoor gatherings with fully vaccinated family and friends
  • Attending small outdoor gatherings with a mixture of fully vaccinated and unvaccinated people
  • Dining at outdoor restaurants with friends from multiple households.

So I'm curious if my daughters soccer game counts as a "small outdoor gathering" or a "sporting event". There are typically ~15 parents on our sideline. And I'm pretty sure at this point that all are vaccinated.

CaptainAmerica

So I'm curious if my daughters soccer game counts as a "small outdoor gathering" or a "sporting event". There are typically ~15 parents on our sideline. And I'm pretty sure at this point that all are vaccinated.
CDC guidelines do not carry the force of law. Your local county or municipality sets those rules. They're not obligated to listen to the CDC.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"Americans who are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus no longer need to wear masks outdoors if they’re walking, running, hiking or biking alone, with members of their household, or if they attend small outdoor gatherings, federal health officials announced on Tuesday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stopped short of telling those people that they could shed their masks altogether in outdoor settings — citing the worrying risk that remains for transmitting the coronavirus, unknown vaccination levels among people in crowds and the still high-caseloads in some regions of the country."

View attachment 552394
"But the C.D.C. is maintaining advice on other safety measures, saying vaccinated adults should continue wearing masks and staying six feet apart in large public spaces, like outdoor performance or sports events, indoor shopping malls and movie theaters, where the vaccination and health status of others would be unknown. And they still should avoid medium and large gatherings, crowds and poorly ventilated spaces, officials said."

So the biggest change for WDW is the last item. For fully vaccinated people it’s now considered safe or “green” to attend on outdoor parade or performance with a mask on. That’s a big change from not recommending that type of activity for anyone. Opens the door further for night shows, parades, fireworks and outdoor shows once the majority of people are vaccinated. That time is coming sooner than later.

As expected, this will likely not result in an immediate change to Disney’s outdoor mask policy, but a step in the right direction.

Chi84

Premium Member
Ya after today's announcement, I don't see Disney relaxing their rules until large gatherings can be maskless fully vaccinated
I don't see them formally relaxing their rules, but I'm willing to bet enforcement will be relaxed out of necessity. I'll be there next week (vaccinated and following the rules), but it will be interesting to observe how the CDC's change will affect most people's behavior and Disney's response to it.

CaptainAmerica

It's been a year and I'm still shocked the attitude of many towards CDC recommendations and masks.
Did you wear a mask prior to March 2020?

If not, why not?

Because they're uncomfortable and you didn't feel like it.

They're still uncomfortable and I still don't feel like it. I *do*, because I respect people who are fearful of COVID and I respect the authority of business owners to set the policies for their businesses,, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

CaptainAmerica

You are obligated to listen to Disney if you want to step foot on their property...
Yes.

...and they follow the CDC guidelines so they still carry a lot of weight.
No they don't. CDC says, even now, that people who aren't fully vaxxed shouldn't be eating indoors or gathering in large crowds. The very fact that Walt Disney World is open is contrary to CDC guidelines.

mmascari

I don't see them formally relaxing their rules, but I'm willing to bet enforcement will be relaxed out of necessity. I'll be there next week (vaccinated and following the rules), but it will be interesting to observe how the CDC's change will affect most people's behavior and Disney's response to it.

What makes you think they'll relax or change the rules at all?

Looking at this graphic, if we assume WDW is "crowded outdoor event", which seems most likely (and looking at ways to make it more crowded), there are masks in both columns.

It's only if we assume WDW is "small outdoor gathering with vaccinated and unvaccinated people" that the guidance is different between columns. Plus, one would assume that guests at WDW have roughly the same percentage vaccinated as the national statistics. Perhaps slightly more, but certainly not something we could assume is vastly more vaccinated among guests. Definitely not enough to push it to the "small outdoor gathering with fully vaccinated family and friends" even using the facebook definition of friends.

1619541965969.png

CaptainAmerica

Looking at this graphic, if we assume WDW is "crowded outdoor event", which seems most likely (and looking at ways to make it more crowded), there are masks in both columns.

It's only if we assume WDW is "small outdoor gathering with vaccinated and unvaccinated people" that the guidance is different between columns. Plus, one would assume that guests at WDW have roughly the same percentage vaccinated as the national statistics. Perhaps slightly more, but certainly not something we could assume is vastly more vaccinated among guests. Definitely not enough to push it to the "small outdoor gathering with fully vaccinated family and friends" even using the facebook definition of friends.

View attachment 552401

Tooooootally just a guess, but I would imagine WDW guests are probably less likely than the general population to be vaccinated because people willing to go to WDW tend to be the people who aren't afraid of COVID.

disneygeek90

View attachment 552401

This is kind of frustrating, honestly. So the "reward" for those getting the vaccine, aside from the safety risks, is I can eat outside with multiple people outside while distancing?? Everything else is the exact same as someone who chooses to not be protected.

I understand the need to be cautious, but this is moving painfully slow for a country that now has at least 50% vaccinated. Everyone needs to hop on board or there's no real benefit to society.

At this point, I'd rather just have passports and be allowed to do things normally again.

Jrb1979

Did you wear a mask prior to March 2020?

If not, why not?

Because they're uncomfortable and you didn't feel like it.

They're still uncomfortable and I still don't feel like it. I *do*, because I respect people who are fearful of COVID and I respect the authority of business owners to set the policies for their businesses,, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
That's not what I was getting at. My point was masks have been in place for over a year. It is what it is so it's no use whining and complaining about then.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Disney won’t change anything based on the latest CDC guidelines

I’m afraid the continual requirement use of masks by fully vaccinated people are going to hinder those on the fence or who didn’t really want to get a shot from maybe ever getting one because of that which is going to slow down the return to normal rather than speed it up

As I’ve said before...something is going to have to give at some point somewhere because the majority that are vaccinated aren’t going to continue this way for long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom