Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It not just fat shaming its showing your privilege.

When people are working 2 fast food jobs to make ends meet, where do you think they are going to eat?

When you live in the innner city where there are no grocery stores and you have no transportation, where are you going to eat?

When you have a limited budget are you going to buy the salmon and quinoa or hamburger helper?

Yes there is the portion of the population that don't care about their health or weight, the Roger Alles of the world, but there are many that don't have the time or economic privelege to live a healthy livestyle.

As far as the covid death numbers, IMHO I just don't see how in the slums of Mumbai,where you have one toilet for every 1200 people, and the other hell holes around the third world that you could have accurate data.

Run to work

peter11435

So if the vaccine is so super awesome and it's going to keep you from getting the virus then why do I have to get it?

Your reference to speeding is kind of dumb to be honest. If your logic for getting a vaccine is so you don't get the virus what is the harm to you if I don't? If I'm speeding down the street at 100 mph and you're on the street and I hit you not even a seat belt or airbag will save you from harm, now using that same logic you're saying the vaccine won't save you either?

So from reading the so "informed " people on this post the vaccine keeps you from getting covid but yet those unvaccinated can give you covid? You realize how stupid this logic is. If we use the same reference to anything else I'm only affecting myself and not you.
Oh.. so you don’t understand how viruses and transmission works. Got it.

You know a year ago I understood why the majority of the population lacked knowledge about viruses and vaccines. However after the last year there’s no excuse for people not understanding the basic foundations.

jlhwdw

This goalpost? "The solution is to eliminate uncontrolled spread and get it down to a low level."

There's no movement. That's the goal. That's always been the long term end state goal. There have been several more immediate goals, things not not crashing hospital systems, or slowing rates of increase. But, getting spread under control has always been the final goal.

We can go back to talking about the definition of "low". It's not 0, and there's a bunch of values expressed on this board. They're all way below today though.
Right, but you basically say that even with mass vaccination/herd immunity everyone needs to stay masked up because of the potential for variants. There's never not going to be a risk again, we aren't going back to 2019. But we're not that far off from the risk being low enough where it just doesn't make sense to continue the current mitigation protocols. The way you say it, the variant thing will always technically be a risk, so we need to continue to mitigate despite eventual mass vaccination and herd immunity. Those two things don't stop the possibility of variants, which is what we need by your logic to end mitigation protocols.

mmascari

That's not how variants work.
Enlighten me then.

A variant is a mutation of the virus as it replicates. That's it.
Some mutations make it more infectious.
Some make it less infectious.
Some make it deadlier.
Some, less deadlier.
Some do nothing at all.

When a mutation gives the mutated version a better competitive advantage than the other versions trying to replicate and spread, it out competes those others and becomes the dominate one. Until the next mutation that provides a better advantage.

The vaccine, so far, stops them all. It's a huge road block. Yeah for us.

But, it doesn't stop them all all equally.

A mutation that get's "lucky" and the vaccine is less effective against. Say it changes the protein look just enough but is still contagious. That mutation will allow it to outcompete the other mutations specifically because when it runs into a vaccinated person it'll have a better chance of replicating and spreading. NONE can TODAY, none are getting that lucky. The more we expose mutations to vaccinated people, the more likely one of those is to be the "right" one.

Uncontrolled spread with no other mitigations beyond vaccination maximizes how often those interactions occur. A thing we should try to minimize, not encourage.

Unless you know, you're rooting for the virus long term.....

mmascari

Right, but you basically say that even with mass vaccination/herd immunity everyone needs to stay masked up because of the potential for variants. There's never not going to be a risk again, we aren't going back to 2019. But we're not that far off from the risk being low enough where it just doesn't make sense to continue the current mitigation protocols. The way you say it, the variant thing will always technically be a risk, so we need to continue to mitigate despite eventual mass vaccination and herd immunity. Those two things don't stop the possibility of variants, which is what we need by your logic to end mitigation protocols.
I specifically did NOT say that "everyone needs to stay masked up because of the potential for variants" as a stand alone statement. Please go back and reread. I've been very consistent on this.

Buy not far off, if you mean 700 daily deaths/250K yearly is the new normal, then sure.

I specifically said we need to continue mitigations while spread is high to avoid encouraging variant. When spread is low, no worries, go wild. I'm not worried about one just happening to show up. I'm worried about our actions helping to get one.

seabreezept813

pretty interesting...
Ya it’s odd especially for the older kids when the vax is in sight.. while staff will be vaccinated there’s bound to be lots of clusters with opening up full return, sports, activities, proms, etc all at once. But hey now we can do state testing.. I’m on maternity leave so I get to sit out the first 4 weeks of the oncoming madness.. even saying it’s for academic reasons doesn’t add up when they’ve changed all the kids schedules yet again, the kids are so stressed out..

Oh.. so you don’t understand how viruses and transmission works. Got it.

You know a year ago I understood why the majority of the population lacked knowledge about viruses and vaccines. However after the last year there’s no excuse for people not understanding the basic foundations.

I'm a physicians assistant, have been in medicine since high school in some form or another. I understand how vaccines and transmission works. But nobody here has given me any evidence to back their claims, instead you all have fear mongered people and basically called those who don't want a vaccine idiots. I understand the name calling or belitting people when you don't have a leg to stand on.

So prove it to me, these are your statements. Your arguments, shouldn't you be telling people why they should get it and back it up with legitimate information? No that would make sense. Instead let's just hate.

ImperfectPixie

I'm a physicians assistant, have been in medicine since high school in some form or another. I understand how vaccines and transmission works. But nobody here has given me any evidence to back their claims, instead you all have fear mongered people and basically called those who don't want a vaccine idiots. I understand the name calling or belitting people when you don't have a leg to stand on.

So prove it to me, these are your statements. Your arguments, shouldn't you be telling people why they should get it and back it up with legitimate information? No that would make sense. Instead let's just hate.
I don't buy that you're a PA for a hot second.

seabreezept813

Are they doing any mitigations at all? Any distance or masking, extra ventilation, air cleaners, anything to make it safer at all? How "just dumped" is it?

For us, they're barely back in school at all. Just 50% and only every other week. That's 25% of kids in school any week. They still close the school on Wednesday to "deep clean", and there is still to much surface worry and not enough ventilation focus. The high school is switching classes, but even so kids may end up in a room without the teacher who's remote. It's a simultaneous model, one teacher for both in the room and remote. In the middle school, its even worse. They mostly don't switch rooms at all. So, across 4 classes in a day, the teacher in the room may be for 1 of them. All the kids aren't even in the same class at the same time. They're all on zoom from the room to wherever. When it is the teacher in the room, they have to mute the zoom to prevent echo and then cannot hear any classmates from zoom. They switch for gym, and then do zoom class with the remote people. They switch for band half the time, but don't really play, for obvious exhalation reasons. Apparently, they cannot move the band outside to create enough distance for "reasons". Yesterday's school board meeting it became obvious that we're lucky for even this horrible disaster. Somehow being almost last to return we cannot learn from anyone else and it's not possible to do any better. That they didn't make any progress for the last 9 months on returning because all the focus was on remote support. One of my kids middle school friends has health instead of gym this quarter and isn't in band, they switched back to full remote because the in building was so much worse with quite literally no extra value for the effort.

There has to be some middle ground. Something in between "just go back and pretend it's all fine" and "returning is so bad, you'll want to stay remote".
Hmm I’d call it a dump at the school I’m in.. for instance right before school break they had all week carnival/relay day where the kids played sports, did lip syncs, etc. Wore masks but basically no distancing. With the new rotating schedule, kids will have different lunches daily so always eating around new groups of kids. All sports and activities are back in place. No more remote days at all so no extra cleaning. So basically just a day to press reset and act as if the pandemic didn’t happen. And the day everyone goes back is the first day back from spring break.

peter11435

If what you say is true I have serious concern for any patients you interact with.

I would think you should already understand the dangers a large percentage of unvaccinated individuals would pose to the community and even to vaccinated individuals.

seabreezept813

Staggered buses and bell schedule, no lunch (they're literally giving kids their lunch in take-out boxes as they walk out the door to come home), masks, sanitation stations and hand washing, and supposedly the kids are still spaced 6' apart (although I have NO IDEA how that's even physically possible at all given class sizes). Keep in mind...this is just one of our 2 high schools...I won't pretend to know what's happening at the other high school, but I would imagine it's very similar.

It's just so frustrating to have come this far (mostly successfully - there have been very few cases of transmission in school from Sept.-March) to now get all impatient and not wait for vaccines to be available to the kids. We had 2 new in-school transmissions the first week alone (the kids are off this week for April vacation), and if anything, people (especially teenagers) will get worse at following procedures over time, not better. Plus there's the fact that teenagers are the primary spreaders in our town right now.
We have two breakfast periods and a lunch period. Kids distanced by three feet. Rotating schedule daily. It’s almost as if they are trying to see how many contacts one student can rack up in a day....

disneygeek90

So if the vaccine is so super awesome and it's going to keep you from getting the virus then why do I have to get it?

Your reference to speeding is kind of dumb to be honest. If your logic for getting a vaccine is so you don't get the virus what is the harm to you if I don't? If I'm speeding down the street at 100 mph and you're on the street and I hit you not even a seat belt or airbag will save you from harm, now using that same logic you're saying the vaccine won't save you either?

So from reading the so "informed " people on this post the vaccine keeps you from getting covid but yet those unvaccinated can give you covid? You realize how stupid this logic is. If we use the same reference to anything else I'm only affecting myself and not you.
In this scenario, the person that is vaccinated is more alike to someone driving next to you, wearing a seat belt. Now, even if you are recklessly driving at 100mph, the person wearing a seatbelt in a car is in a much better position to survive than someone with no seat belt.

The person walking on the side of the road (immunocompromised, unable to receive vaccine) will have a much different fate if you hit them.

sullyinMT

Your education failed you. Or you’re willfully ignorant. There’s a reason mass vaccination programs work, and your protection is more a peripheral benefit to the overall reduction in community spread.

Exhibit A: the other 40% of Israel’s population (about 20%of adults) as they unwind mitigations.

Exhibit B: the roughly 1/2 of the UK as cases continue to fall.

I’m guessing we’ll see pockets of similar exhibit C’s in the US as the densely populated and now majority vaccinated NE expands their reopening in the coming months.

Your education failed you. Or you’re willfully ignorant. There’s a reason mass vaccination programs work, and your protection is more a peripheral benefit to the overall reduction in community spread.

Exhibit A: the other 40% of Israel’s population (about 20%of adults) as they unwind mitigations.

Exhibit B: the roughly 1/2 of the UK as cases continue to fall.

I’m guessing we’ll see pockets of similar exhibit C’s in the US as the densely populated and now majority vaccinated NE expands their reopening in the coming months.

I'm really not going to reply to insults. That's all you have then cool. You're also talking about the UK who is still on lockdown. Comparing apples to oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom