Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think “vaccinate and burn the mask” could be a powerful tool once the volunteers ebb...which is starting to happen.

that might be how they pivot.

1. get it for your intelligence
2: get it for “ma freedom”
3. Get it for your kids (lacrosse season at full capacity)
4. Go travel hog wild

Not a bad plan sequence, eh?
I think getting it for your kids will be a huge motivator, especially when vaccines are approved for kids and recommended or required for sports and other activities.

ImperfectPixie

I think getting it for your kids will be a huge motivator, especially when vaccines are approved for kids and recommended or required for sports and other activities.
They literally just dumped all our kids together in school full-time in person starting 2 weeks ago...right before vaccines are about to be approved for 12-15yo kids. Hybrid is completely off the table at this point. With teenagers and after school hang-outs being a big driver of new cases in our town, I really wish they'd been allowed to wait for the vaccines to be approved. (My oldest is 15)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They literally just dumped all our kids together in school full-time in person starting 2 weeks ago...right before vaccines are about to be approved for 12-15yo kids. Hybrid is completely off the table at this point. With teenagers and after school hang-outs being a big driver of new cases in our town, I really wish they'd been allowed to wait for the vaccines to be approved. (My oldest is 15)

what awful town do you live in? 🤪
Edit: crap! Massachusetts...I was thinking Pennsylvania ?

who’s your superintendent? John Dennis or Gerry Callahan?

Tom P.

It's hilarious that anti-maskers are still pushing this "you can stop wearing masks if you get the vaccine" thing as the solution to vaccine hesitancy...

I'm sure everyone has seen the spring break pics of kids partying in huge groups without masks. And people all over the country, even places where there are mandates, have been simply going out and not wearing masks for months. Do you really think telling them they can do what they're already doing if they get vaccinated will make a shred of difference? That's bizarrely naive.

There is nothing stopping people from going back to "normal life" right now. They don't NEED to get the vaccine if they don't want it. Why would they? It's not like any kind of verification is being done. If anyone does challenge them for not wearing a mask, they can simply say, "Hey, I'm fully vaccinated!" Who can tell?

But you already know that, don't you?

ATTENTION: Any announcement saying "Once you are vaccinated, you can stop wearing a mask and social distancing" would be IDENTICAL to just dropping mask and distancing mandates. Anti-maskers know this, and that's why they've been pushing it.

If you believe it is still too early to drop masking and distancing mitigations, refute these people every time they make this claim.
Wow. Maybe you should consider decaf from now on. Have a good night.

BlindChow

What about people who aren’t anti-maskers? There are a lot of people still following the rules and wearing masks who might be persuaded if given that sort of goal. I just saw an article that Budweiser is going to offer free beers as part of a campaign to get vaccinated so “we can do things together again.” Maybe we should be trying to find ways to persuade those who are on the fence instead of wallowing in so much anger.
The people who are still closely following the masking rules aren't the majority of ones hesitant to get the vaccine.

I have no complaint with vaccine incentives. I only objected to a specific bit of nonsense the anti-maskers have been pushing lately. "Get a vaccine and stop wearing a mask" is simply a way of dropping mask mandates altogether.

I think any ACTUAL incentives to get the vaccine (that aren't a shadow way of dropping Covid mitigations earlier than necessary) are a good thing, and I encourage them. Knock yourself out, Budweiser and Krispy Kreme! 🍺🍩

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

DisneyCane

Please be patient. New Jersey will follow CDC guidelines so it will probably be social distancing in public places goes first masks in public places will go last last. Nobody knows when but New Jersey will be one of the last states to reduce or end mandates
Which, of course, is the opposite order of effectiveness according to the WHO.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You don't have to worry about COVID if you're asymptomatic.

Children don't have to worry about COVID.

Oh yeah?...

2,000 cases and 24 deaths are statistically zero. You'd be better off never leaving your house to drive anywhere because car crashes are far more common.

Nobody has ever argued that COVID presents *precisely zero* risk to children. We have argued that the life-altering mitigation efforts are not commensurate with the miniscule magnitude of the risk.

David Leonhardt at The New York Times put it very well a few days ago. "Victory over Covid will not involve its elimination. Victory will instead mean turning it into the sort of danger that plane crashes or shark attacks present — too small to be worth reordering our lives."

DisneyCane

Another way to look at the demand issue, at least for FL:
For a minute now, that “first dose” number has been right around 2.8-2.9 million. That means, to me anyway, that for every person completing their second dose, someone else is behind them in line to take a spot. Give or take on any given day, but the trend is consistent. If that first dose number falls off well before they (FL) have enough people vaccinated, it will be a sign of alarm.
I don’t like the unused appointments sitting around, but with more sites added and more supply pumped in, it may be that ~3M shots/day is our threshold without a new approach.
Good perspective. Maybe someone has time (I won't until next week) and can take the daily "Total People Vaccinated" from the vaccine report that @DCBaker posts and put them in a spreadsheet for the past 6-8 weeks and then subtract the prior day's total to see how many people are added to that category daily. If you plot that and do a seven day rolling average it should show if the demand is staying relatively consistent.

There are concerning things like when people post articles about Palm Beach County having unclaimed appointments and County sites but the Publix, Walmart and CVS appointments in the County seem to fill up so maybe it's less of a demand issue and more of a convenience issue or preference issue.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Good perspective. Maybe someone has time (I won't until next week) and can take the daily "Total People Vaccinated" from the vaccine report that @DCBaker posts and put them in a spreadsheet for the past 6-8 weeks and then subtract the prior day's total to see how many people are added to that category daily. If you plot that and do a seven day rolling average it should show if the demand is staying relatively consistent.

There are concerning things like when people post articles about Palm Beach County having unclaimed appointments and County sites but the Publix, Walmart and CVS appointments in the County seem to fill up so maybe it's less of a demand issue and more of a convenience issue or preference issue.
The CDC publishes that chart for us.

The seven day moving average peaked at 3.2 million doses on April 11. It has been falling over the past ten days and sat at 2.8 million as of April 16. Data newer than April 16 is incomplete so that's the latest we have.

Patcheslee

I've had one going for a bit, need to catch up on this past week though. Was using it for Indiana comparison. *didn't realize how bored I get when we aren’t planning a Disney vacation lol*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom