Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc315

WDW should have the right to require vaccine passports/proof
I believe vaccine passports would be good policy
But WDW won’t do it. Too controversial.

Disney may do it for cruises. Legal experts agree that DeSantis has no authority over cruise ships. Merely departing from a Florida port, a ship flying a foreign flag and primarily sailing in international waters... a state governor doesn’t have that type of authority.

Anyway... vaccine passports could speed up the return to normalcy. If they hadn’t become so politically charged, I could see them required by summer and being a passport to normalcy.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
WDW should have the right to require vaccine passports/proof
I believe vaccine passports would be good policy
But WDW won’t do it. Too controversial.

Disney may do it for cruises. Legal experts agree that DeSantis has no authority over cruise ships. Merely departing from a Florida port, a ship flying a foreign flag and primarily sailing in international waters... a state governor doesn’t have that type of authority.

Anyway... vaccine passports could speed up the return to normalcy. If they hadn’t become so politically charged, I could see them required by summer and being a passport to normalcy.
The other thought is where would the data for a "Vaccine Passport" come from? There is no Federal database and the current administration has stated there won't be one. Several states have passed EOs or are getting ready to pass laws regarding the state agencies giving vaccination info out.

havoc315

The other thought is where would the data for a "Vaccine Passport" come from? There is no Federal database and the current administration has stated there won't be one. Several states have passed EOs or are getting ready to pass laws regarding the state agencies giving vaccination info out.

NY issued me a digital passport. Yes, requires state cooperation. The politics are making it impossible.

LittleBuford

LittleBuford

Could you post those studies so I can make my own judgement, please?
The two specified in the article I shared are very easy to track down, but here you go:

seascape

As expected today's numbers are good. Florida dropped to 27 cases per 100,000 and the US to 20.8. On the negative side for Florida but actually positive for the country, Florida made it into the top 10 in cases per 100,000. Yes, for the first time this month we no longer have 10 or more states with over 30 cases per 100,00.

New England is doing much better as Maine, Vermont and Rhode Island all have dropped out of the top 10 and are now in the mid to low 20's. This is a good sign of the vaccine finally cutting down the number of cases. Hopefully, we will see continued progress in the remaining 17 days of April.

1 state in the 70's
2 states in the 40's
6 states in the 30's
11 states in the 20's
22 states in the 10's
9 states in single digits

JoeCamel

Got my second Pfizer shot yesterday. Had a rough night. Freezing cold then sweating (fever) major sore arm much more than the first one couldn’t sleep and full body aches. Laying here debating if I’m going to be able to work today or not. Here’s to hoping these shots end this madness and Disney gets back to normal
Go back to bed for today

DisneyDebRob

Got my second Pfizer shot yesterday. Had a rough night. Freezing cold then sweating (fever) major sore arm much more than the first one couldn’t sleep and full body aches. Laying here debating if I’m going to be able to work today or not. Here’s to hoping these shots end this madness and Disney gets back to normal
I get my second Pfizer shot in about 4 hrs. Last 3 people I’ve heard that got it had the same reaction as you. One worse. Hoping I’m the lucky one. As Buford said, stay in bed.

durangojim

As expected today's numbers are good. Florida dropped to 27 cases per 100,000 and the US to 20.8. On the negative side for Florida but actually positive for the country, Florida made it into the top 10 in cases per 100,000. Yes, for the first time this month we no longer have 10 or more states with over 30 cases per 100,00.

New England is doing much better as Maine, Vermont and Rhode Island all have dropped out of the top 10 and are now in the mid to low 20's. This is a good sign of the vaccine finally cutting down the number of cases. Hopefully, we will see continued progress in the remaining 17 days of April.

1 state in the 70's
2 states in the 40's
6 states in the 30's
11 states in the 20's
22 states in the 10's
9 states in single digits
Pretty interesting that my state, Michigan, is leading the nation (unfortunately) in terms of covid cases. In my practice I feel like I did a year ago. One of my partners had 15 patients with covid yesterday out of the 25 she saw. I think the severe restrictions that we saw in Michigan has now lead to a lot of pent up demand to be “free”. It doesn’t help that the governor now has only suggestions on what to do which gives more fuel to the thoughts she was playing politics all along.

pixie225

NY issued me a digital passport. Yes, requires state cooperation. The politics are making it impossible.
We did not get a digital passport - just a paper one - no bar code, etc. I did apply for and get an Excelsior Pass though. Cuomo has now dropped the testing/quarantine requirements for domestic/international travelers coming into NY. Just hope people will be careful and monitor themselves and do the right thing if they feel sick.

seascape

It looks like the US may stop using Johnson and Johnson vaccine because 6 people out of millions of shots experienced blood cloting issues. All 6, according to Andrew Ross Sorkin on CNBC, were middle aged women. Based on these facts, the US should only consider suspending all Johnson and Johnson shots for women under 60 but why follow science.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Federal health agencies on Tuesday called for an immediate pause in use of Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose coronavirus vaccine after six recipients in the United States developed a rare disorder involving blood clots within about two weeks of vaccination, officials briefed on the decision said.

All six recipients were women between the ages of 18 and 48. One woman died and a second woman in Nebraska has been hospitalized in critical condition, the officials said.

Nearly seven million people in the United States have received Johnson & Johnson shots so far, and roughly nine million more doses have been shipped out to the states, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Today FDA and @CDCgov issued a statement regarding the Johnson & Johnson #COVID19 vaccine. We are recommending a pause in the use of this vaccine out of an abundance of caution,” the F.D.A. announced on Twitter at 7 a.m. A news conference is scheduled for 10 a.m."

While the move was framed as a recommendation to health practitioners in the states, the federal government will pause administration of the vaccine at all federally run vaccination sites. Federal officials expect that state health officials will take that as a strong signal to do the same.

Scientists with the Food and Drug Administration and C.D.C. will jointly examine possible links between the vaccine and the disorder and determine whether the F.D.A. should continue to authorize use of the vaccine for all adults or limit the authorization. An emergency meeting of the C.D.C.’s outside advisory committee has been scheduled for Wednesday, officials said.

The move could substantially complicate the nation’s vaccination efforts at a time when many states are confronting a surge in new cases and seeking to address vaccine hesitancy. Regulators in Europe and elsewhere are concerned about a similar issue with another coronavirus vaccine, developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University researchers. That concern has driven up some resistance to all vaccines, even though the AstraZeneca version has not been approved for use in the United States."

havoc315

We did not get a digital passport - just a paper one - no bar code, etc. I did apply for and get an Excelsior Pass though. Cuomo has now dropped the testing/quarantine requirements for domestic/international travelers coming into NY. Just hope people will be careful and monitor themselves and do the right thing if they feel sick.

The Excelsior Pass is the digital passport. Have it right in my phone.

Gringrinngghost

Centers for Disease Control and Food and Drug Administration joint statement:

Joint CDC and FDA Statement on Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine
The following statement is attributed to Dr. Anne Schuchat, Principal Deputy Director of the CDC and Dr. Peter Marks, director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research

As of April 12, more than 6.8 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) ) vaccine have been administered in the U.S. CDC and FDA are reviewing data involving six reported U.S. cases of a rare and severe type of blood clot in individuals after receiving the J&J vaccine. In these cases, a type of blood clot called cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) was seen in combination with low levels of blood platelets (thrombocytopenia). All six cases occurred among women between the ages of 18 and 48, and symptoms occurred 6 to 13 days after vaccination. Treatment of this specific type of blood clot is different from the treatment that might typically be administered. Usually, an anticoagulant drug called heparin is used to treat blood clots. In this setting, administration of heparin may be dangerous, and alternative treatments need to be given.

CDC will convene a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) on Wednesday to further review these cases and assess their potential significance. FDA will review that analysis as it also investigates these cases. Until that process is complete, we are recommending a pause in the use of this vaccine out of an abundance of caution. This is important, in part, to ensure that the health care provider community is aware of the potential for these adverse events and can plan for proper recognition and management due to the unique treatment required with this type of blood clot.

Right now, these adverse events appear to be extremely rare. COVID-19 vaccine safety is a top priority for the federal government, and we take all reports of health problems following COVID-19 vaccination very seriously. People who have received the J&J vaccine who develop severe headache, abdominal pain, leg pain, or shortness of breath within three weeks after vaccination should contact their health care provider. Health care providers are asked to report adverse events to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System at https://vaers.hhs.gov/reportevent.html.

CDC and FDA will provide additional information and answer questions later today at a media briefing. A recording of that media call will be available on the FDA's YouTube channel.

DisneyCane

Unfortunately what is going on with the J&J vaccine is not a good look. It now gives people something to point to in order to say, "see, I told you they rushed the vaccines and didn't test them." Never mind the fact that if these blood clots are related to the vaccine, a one in a million reaction is highly unlikely to be encountered in the normal course of a vaccine approval.

Since these reactions only occurred in women, I wonder if they were taking birth control and there was some kind of interaction.

As to the comment by @seascape above, I would agree that if there have been no similar cases among men, they could probably continue to administer to men and pause women. I wouldn't want to make it age based among women. First of all, a huge majority of women over 60 have been vaccinated already anyway. For the remaining who want to be, there are plenty of Moderna and Pfizer doses available. Second, the reaction has been so rare that it is possible it could occur in older women but hasn't been encountered yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom