Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

Well, we're screwed. Is going to be another BIG wave or just another wave or not...USA is doomed now....is vaccines will gonna avoid this wave and future spikes/surges to get better?
1617896907362.png

Presuming the UK variant is included in the strains being vaccinated against in the UK. I think we will be OK.

HarperRose

Define "cheap" I spent a good $50 over the past year on masks because of fit issues, policy changes, etc. before I found some that complied and fit me and the kid. Now we have random unused neck gaiters that look like they might make an interesting quilt or pillow. A few tie in the back were deemed unacceptable for work safety.
Fifty dollars to, in some case, hundreds of thousands of dollars, is not comparable.

ABQ

So the vaccines are most likely protection for longer like years.
No way to know until time passes. They are looking at how much protection remains in a person since their doses were taken, apparently enough remains after 6 months that they believe it will still be present for at least a number of months beyond that. But again, until time passes, they won't know how long. Could be 1 year, could be 10 months, could be longer. Unknown at this point which is why some are saying booster shots, taken annually like an annual flu shot, may be necessary.

Nubs70

Define "cheap" I spent a good $50 over the past year on masks because of fit issues, policy changes, etc. before I found some that complied and fit me and the kid. Now we have random unused neck gaiters that look like they might make an interesting quilt or pillow. A few tie in the back were deemed unacceptable for work safety.
Use the gaiters with the mask as a fashion accessory. Mask with a gaiter looks a lot better than a simple mask.

Mark52479

State of Florida filing lawsuit against the CDC to start cruising again.

Going to be interesting how this plays out with the new Executive Order. Kind of going against the order.

Edit: Reporter just asked about cruise lines requiring the Vaccine Passport and the Executive Order. He dodged the question as expected.

Last edited:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
No way to know until time passes. They are looking at how much protection remains in a person since their doses were taken, apparently enough remains after 6 months that they believe it will still be present for at least a number of months beyond that. But again, until time passes, they won't know how long. Could be 1 year, could be 10 months, could be longer. Unknown at this point which is why some are saying booster shots, taken annually like an annual flu shot, may be necessary.
So USA will be still be okay and back to normal by Fall/Winter this year as vaccines as boosters? Most people are getting vaccines like flu, even they'll be more safe than last time. Now WDW will have much better as by Fall/Winter.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Cheaper then overhauling a HVAC system.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
They also said 90%+ of new cases in Israel were from the UK variant as well. Vaccines working great there too 👍👍👍
Yeah I'm worried about future new variants pop out no where in the future, which vaccines will never fight this ones. Is there's any not going to be new future variants in USA if vaccines are still powerful?

Incomudro

Yet, at the onset of the pandemic, we shutdown a vast amount of outdoor activity such as golf, boating, fishing etc.. and forced friends, neighbors and family members indoors into situation where they did not where masks.

As science evolves, it appears that ventilation is the primary protection against infection and masks are secondary.

I've said from the beginning that much of what was done as far as "stay home" etc. made no sense.
They actually closed down wide open outdoor spaces.
I wasn't even allowed to go to the little pond I fish at, that usually has no one else at.
"Stay home" was a message said by many in authority, and trumpeted by many citizens.
I actually heard people say that I shouldn't go out for a drive when everything was locked down.
Are you kidding me?
I've always maintained that a good portion of mask usage was useless.
The right masks, worn the right way, under the right circumstances have a purpose.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah I'm worried about future new variants pop out no where in the future, which vaccines will never fight this ones. Is there's any not going to be new future variants in USA if vaccines are still powerful?
Who knows, but we can’t worry about that now. If it happens, it happens and we adjust the vaccines to stop it. We probably actually have the capacity to start from scratch and create, test, manufacture and deliver enough doses for every American in about 6 months time so while it would be a major setback it’s not the end of the world literally or figuratively. We’d just potentially delay some of the recovery process.

GimpYancIent

I've said from the beginning that much of what was done as far as "stay home" etc. made no sense.
I wasn't even allowed to go to the little pond I fish at, that usually has no one else at.
"Stay home" was a message said by many in authority, and trumpeted by many citizens.
I actually heard people say that I shouldn't go out for a drive when everything was locked down.
Are you kidding me?
The right masks, worn the right way, under the right circumstances have a purpose.
Your last sentence is on the mark.

havoc315

Are you kidding me?

"Stay home" as an initial response was wise. It was an urgent public health crisis. Not exactly time for nuance right away.
But very quickly... within a couple of weeks, guidance should have been (and mostly was) updated to reflect the safety of outdoor socially distanced activities. Go for a hike, go fishing, go for a drive, etc.

And even the worst mask worn the worst way... is still useful. It's always been about combining modalities to reduce the rate and risk of infection.
So even if the mask only reduces the level of infection by 5%, that's still better than 0% reduction. (even "bad" masks tend to reduce infection risk by over 50%).

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Who knows, but we can’t worry about that now. If it happens, it happens and we adjust the vaccines to stop it. We probably actually have the capacity to start from scratch and create, test, manufacture and deliver enough doses for every American in about 6 months time so while it would be a major setback it’s not the end of the world literally or figuratively. We’d just potentially delay some of the recovery process.
So it might probably not any more future new variants if vaccines end pandemic by end of 2021 in USA?

JD80

Are you kidding me?

This is where public policy and actual science part. It's a lot easier to put out a blanket policy to "always wear masks" than it is to put out a list of rules for different scenarios and make it complicated. There is a reason why "Keep it simple stupid" is a saying. You need to create policy/instruction for the lowest common denominator.

Staying home and not driving is a simple statement that people can follow. Because the more people you see out and about the more likely you'll get more people doing the same. The more people out the more people will tend to cluster up in stores or wherever. So does it makes sense to say "stay home and don't even drive"? No. But it makes sense because it doesn't give the excuse for others to get out there and potentially risk public health.

Tom P.

So USA will be still be okay and back to normal by Fall/Winter this year as vaccines as boosters? Most people are getting vaccines like flu, even they'll be more safe than last time. Now WDW will have much better as by Fall/Winter.
As is the case with most things you ask, the real answer is: no one knows for sure yet. But I really am optimistic. Looking at the data from Israel, and seeing how we are paralleling their progress, I really do believe that this thing is going to basically be over by sometime this summer. I don't know that and I could be wrong. But I am hopeful, and reasonably confident based upon the data I have seen, that, yes things could be back to normal by fall and winter.

As to whether or not we will need vaccine boosters, as others have said, we just have no idea yet. The vaccines -- and Covid itself -- are still too new. We can't tell if a vaccine is effective for a year, two years, or more until people have been vaccinated that long. So far, the indications are good that immunity is going to last quite a while, but we just haven't had enough time yet. Again, I'm hopeful, though. I feel confident that even if immunity does start to fade, we'll get the boosters out there and keep things under control.

Bottom line: don't sit around and worry! I can tell from all your posts that you have significant anxiety on this. That's not healthy. You can't live your life worried about every possible negative outcome. Everything right now shows we are on the right track. It is getting better and it's going to get better. We will go back to our normal lives. It's going to happen. Hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom