Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Just a side note, Florida officially passed over 10% of the population testing positive at some point over the last year. Kind of a mind blowing number when you think about it for a state of this size.
FLORIDA: The United States’ UNDISPUTED Red-Hedded Step-Child! We suck!

CaptainAmerica

It's not being flippant to say that people think that way. I know people who literally say they aren't at risk. An in-law in his 30s used the phrase, "When we thought COVID was a big deal" - and that was in June. The increase in hospitalizations in those age groups suggests that those people are incorrect to assume they aren't at risk. You can be certain that most of them didn't think they'd end up in the hospital.
Dude it's just how people speak.

"COVID is not a big deal for young people" is not precisely correct with scientific accuracy, but it's not supposed to be. It's just a lot easer than saying "young people are most likely to experience mild to moderate symptoms of COVID, with a confirmed case hospitalization rate of 1 in 1,000" or whatever the precise statistic is.

Eventually, you get so close to zero statistically that it's easier to just say "no risk" when what you really mean is "sufficiently low risk that I'm not worried about it."

I'm sure there's a 30 year old in a hospital somewhere because a coconut fell on his head and he got a concussion. But if you asked me "are you at risk of coconut-caused head injury?" I'm going to say "no" even though TECHNICALLY there's a chance.

Uh woah. Woah woah woah. I don't know how to feel about this. Ya California is in a great position with covid AT THE MOMENT. But this might backfire
Lmao it's never enough.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 2.32.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 2.32.52 PM.png

JAKECOTCenter

"COVID is not a big deal for young people" is not precisely correct with scientific accuracy, but it's not supposed to be. It's just a lot easer than saying "young people are most likely to experience mild to moderate symptoms of COVID, with a confirmed case hospitalization rate of 1 in 1,000" or whatever the precise statistic is.

Eventually, you get so close to zero statistically that it's easier to just say "no risk" when what you really mean is "sufficiently low risk that I'm not worried about it."

I'm sure there's a 30 year old in a hospital somewhere because a coconut fell on his head and he got a concussion. But if you asked me "are you at risk of coconut-caused head injury?" I'm going to say "no" even though TECHNICALLY there's a chance.

Lmao it's never enough.
Well ya it's never enough. I've been so used to hearing that opening up will lead to disaster. But maybe it won't this time. Newsom has been good on vaccines and he'll keep the mask mandate so maybe it won't be bad.

willtravel

Did you happen to go to Walgreens? This happened to me too. 28 days with the Pfizer is still acceptable but Walgreens reservation system is a little funky in that it won't let you look to reschedule anything until you're already AT 21 days.

I just looked on CVS site and selected I only needed a second dose and was able to find a reservation at exactly 21 days.
No. Premiere health care web site first, then second was automatically scheduled then by nurse.

Patcheslee

I wonder how many people have actually been turned away due to temperature checks.
We haven't been down there, but 3 out of 5 Kings Island visits husband had to sit in cooling tent due to the first readings. Cedar Point he wasn't allowed a wrist band twice during our hotel stay. Also had to go back to the room for about 30 minutes, and try again (note to anyone doing hotel temp checks- don't go so quickly after a hot shower lol). I was getting stopped daily at work for reading too low lol. Apparently their scanner had a minimum temp setting as well.

Disney Experience

In U.K. the time between first and second dose is 12 weeks.
Which vaccine? Astrazeneca or Pfizer? If Pfizer then UK is doing something not studied. Perhaps they wanted to get more people the first shot and worried less if the delay decreased the effectiveness of the second shot. So the UK public wpuld become a “study”. If Astrazeneca I do not know the studied period between shots.

Last edited:

Turtlekrawl

You all can draw your own conclusions. There are lots of holes in this story, but the results are not that surprising. This was bound to happen.

This batch of vaccines alone aren’t the end of it. Boosters, antivirals, common sense, patience... we’ll get there.

Chip Chipperson

Lmao it's never enough.

If you don't think there are people living in denial about the risk of COVID then you're fooling yourself. The mindset of "that won't happen to me" is very prevalent in society and not just in terms of this pandemic, either. There are people who ARE high-risk and still think that way because it's easier on them to believe that they're immune to reality instead of facing it and dealing with it responsibly. Some of the very family members I've posted about over the past couple of days fall into this category. Other posters have posted about their own family members who have acted the same way. These people are out there and there are more than enough of them to contribute to the spread of the virus while they complain about restrictions and masks, completely oblivious to the fact that they are contributing to the prolonging of those restrictions/mandates/recommendations.

LittleBuford

Which

Which vaccine? Astrazeneca or Pfizer? If Pfizer then UK is doing something not studied. Perhaps they wanted to get more people the first shot and worried less if the drlay decreased the effectiveness of the second shot. So the UK public wpuld become a “study”. If Astrazeneca I do not know the studied period between shots.
Both. It’s a controversial approach.

lazyboy97o

There is literally no precedent for a business ever requiring disclosure of vaccine status or any other health information before. Public schools are not businesses and children are treated differently because they are minors (I'm not going to argue if this is right or not, it's just a fact).
Private schools are businesses. Universities, public and private, require adults to be vaccinated.

Chip Chipperson

You all can draw your own conclusions. There are lots of holes in this story, but the results are not that surprising. This was bound to happen.

This batch of vaccines alone aren’t the end of it. Boosters, antivirals, common sense, patience... we’ll get there.

No surprise that the NY Post went for the irresponsible-yet-attention-grabbing headline here despite bits like this in the article that completely undermine the headline:

“Some of these individuals may ultimately be excluded from this list due to continuing to test positive from a recent infection prior to being fully vaccinated,” Lynn Sutfin, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Health and Human Services, said in an email Monday.

Or this:

“In general, these persons have been more likely to be asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic compared with vaccinated persons,” she said, adding that hospitalization data were available for 117 of the cases, while 129 were incomplete.

“Of the 117 with hospitalization data entered, 11 were hospitalized, 103 were not hospitalized, and three are reported as unknown,” Sutfin said.

The three people who died were all 65 or older and two “were within three weeks of completion of vaccination,” she said.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Update on how Walgreens is scheduling the 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine -

"Walgreens has been administering the second dose of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine a week after federal guidelines say it is ideally delivered, but the chain will change its policy to come into line with the government's recommendations.

While the extra time is not feared to be a problem, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention asked the drugstore chain to follow its guidelines, the agency confirmed.

Until now, Walgreens had been administering the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine four weeks after the first, the company confirmed Monday to USA TODAY. Federal guidance is three weeks.

"We have been automatically scheduling patients’ second doses to occur a minimum of 28 days following their first dose to ensure that no dose is administered earlier than the authorized intervals and patients are able to complete the series vaccination," Walgreens spokesperson Rebekah Pajak said in an email.

The company is improving its scheduling system to allow people beginning this week to set their second dose appointment at the three-week timeframe, Pajak said."

"CDC spokesperson Kate Grusich confirmed Monday that the agency had "asked the pharmacy partner to address the issue" by moving to a three-week interval."

"For individuals who received the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, CDC continues to recommend getting the second shot 3 weeks (or 21 days) after the first shot, and to stick as close as possible to that recommended 3-week interval," Grusich said in an email. "If it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval and a delay in vaccination is unavoidable, the second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines may be administered up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose."

Last edited:

correcaminos

Why do you say that? Everything I have read has said that fever is one of the most common symptoms.
Not all who are sick have a fever. People can take medicine to suppress fevers. My aunt long term care facility had an outbreak when a worker came in with a good temp check but fell ill later. They are truly kind of not helpful.
I agree. It is not nearly as newsworthy as the headline reads.

But not entirely insignificant.
Not entirely but really bad reporting that i wish would stop

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I see it as the other demographic having more of an impact. WDW is a huge international tourist destination. A good amount of Europeans already see Americans as selfish and dumb, and the prospect of requiring the vaccine may be financially beneficial. Same goes for Asian countries. We dont know what other countries will require of their citizens when it comes to travel.
WDW also has a huge following of LGBTQ+, performers, people more open to travel, more liberal groups of people, etc. These are demographics that would tend to gravitate towards the attractiveness of mandatory vaccines.

Disney has a lot of liberal thinking CMs, if it came down to a union fight, I think they'd win.
Is the vaccine passport a means to an end for business or some sort of political statement? What you are describing is a political statement not an operational measure. Punish the people who won’t get a vaccine by not allowing them to do stuff they want to do. IMHO Disney has no appetite for a political battle like that. None. They require masks and distancing now as a way to be open safely, not to appeal to liberals or foreigners who think Americans are dumb and selfish. For cruises and International Flights it may turn out that the best or only way to be open safely is a vaccine passport. Most companies if given the choice would rather not have to do that. It’s a means to an end.

I am perhaps the biggest supporter of the vaccines here and I would have no issue with Disney requiring a vaccine passport for me personally since I’m 2 days away from shot #2 :) but I also don’t think it’s likely to happen and I don’t think it would be the preferred plan for Disney as a business. They would much rather have the parks open unrestricted without a vaccine requirement. That’s plan A. A vaccine passport only has appeal if plan A is delayed indefinitely. If we get to Oct 1 and there is no end in sight for masks and distancing and capacity limits then I think they will take a harder look. Right now plan A is still solid. Would widespread use of vaccine passports encourage some people to get off of the fence and get the vaccine? Yes, probably, but we can’t expect Disney to make that their primary focus. If the government doesn’t want to mandate it then it’s hard to ask private business to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom