Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn't trust the polls on this or anything really. I am surrounded by conservatives none of whom fall into this "anti covid vaccine crazy Trump supporter" many of your post on this topic allude to myself included. I also find it maddening that if you have any questions or concerns about this vaccine you are lumped into the "qonan " group. You are an absolute mindless idiot if you don't have questions and concerns when it comes to your health and you run out and get a shot because Cardi B told you to .
Polling is just a piece of data like anything else. There’s no guarantee that it is accurate or that people won’t change their minds. It’s concerning to see a trend of vaccine hesitancy in any demographic group. There have been efforts made to reach certain inner city populations that have vaccine hesitancy and tend to be less trusting of the government. I think there at least needs to be an effort to determine if there’s a real problem here. If any large group has a higher level of vaccine hesitancy that’s bad for everyone as the vaccines are the only way out of this pandemic.

I‘m not sure why you would think anyone who is getting the vaccine is a mindless idiot who doesn’t have questions and concerns about their health and are only doing it because of Cardi B. I think the vast majority of people who have gotten or want to get the vaccine have considered it pretty seriously and have decided it is a good idea to get it. From what I’ve seen a lot of the people who don’t want to get the vaccine either don’t believe Covid is a big deal or they believe one of the many conspiracy theories out there that the vaccines are not safe in some way.

Heppenheimer

Honest question. Can non-Californians visit wineries or Chinatown? IM Cali and other large races are approaching this summer and fall. Ideally it will be moot by then, but can only Californians race?

It’s a great first step, but I do wonder if the resident thing won’t be fought in court or through the legislature if it drags on. That little caveat does seem a bit discriminatory if other businesses of the same type (other hotels, especially) aren’t under the same restriction.

Another question for DVC owners here. If you’re not in CA, would you go to GC just for the resort and Downtown Disney?
I'm not DVC, but if I could get a conference rate there again, I would definately stay without the parks, although it would be a little bitter sweet.

That's actually the exact situation I was in last year, since we were staying there the day the parks closed. Conference ended up getting cancelled too.

Heppenheimer

I disagree ! All of this virtue signaling coming from people on social media when they get their vaccine is silly. Imagine if we did this with all of our medical procedures?? I would hope most Americans wouldn't be so easily influenced by pop culture in terms of their health. This isn't an anti vaccine post just think the girling around it is nonsense.

Also I am calling BS on that poll. I live in a very conservative state where President Trump won hands down , my particular town would be considered Trump country and people are getting vaccinated left and right here.
There's virtue signaling and there's also trying to be a positive influencer. Madison Avenue has exploited the power of celebrities to influence behavior for over a century, so if this convinces people sitting on the fence to get the vaccine, I'm all for it. I couldn't care less if it makes the celebrity in question feel personally validated, as long as it results in more injections going in formerly hesitant arms.

tpac24

Polling is just a piece of data like anything else. There’s no guarantee that it is accurate or that people won’t change their minds. It’s concerning to see a trend of vaccine hesitancy in any demographic group. There have been efforts made to reach certain inner city populations that have vaccine hesitancy and tend to be less trusting of the government. I think there at least needs to be an effort to determine if there’s a real problem here. If any large group has a higher level of vaccine hesitancy that’s bad for everyone as the vaccines are the only way out of this pandemic.

I‘m not sure why you would think anyone who is getting the vaccine is a mindless idiot who doesn’t have questions and concerns about their health and are only doing it because of Cardi B. I think the vast majority of people who have gotten or want to get the vaccine have considered it pretty seriously and have decided it is a good idea to get it. From what I’ve seen a lot of the people who don’t want to get the vaccine either don’t believe Covid is a big deal or they believe one of the many conspiracy theories out there that the vaccines are not safe in some way.
That is absolutely not what I meant but I am pretty sure you know that.

JAKECOTCenter

I have a hunch feeling that Florida will be one of the last states to expand vaccines to 18 and up. Simply too many seniors left to vaccinate (though progress is going quite well)

Mark52479

I have a hunch feeling that Florida will be one of the last states to expand vaccines to 18 and up. Simply too many seniors left to vaccinate (though progress is going quite well)
It seems Florida is doing it by age groups.

It was reported today soon it will be 50 and up able to get the shot.

My guess is they will then do 40 and up and so on.

BrianLo

I’m a hospital doctor, but if I was in Canada and one of the doctors not getting access I would be livid. There needs to be a balance, and people who have had to risk their lives for a year for the sake of their profession deserve priority. I was weary about letting 65 and over go before essential workers when announced but now, and considering mortality drops significantly in under 65 year olds I am ok with the US plan. I would be ****ed if a youngish (still in his 30s) doctor like me was denied a vaccine prior to a 45 year old advertising executive who’s been working from home all year.

To Clarify, community Physicians are meant to get the mRNA vaccine once the 65+ Cohort is through. Then it proceeds through more age categories.

Astra Zeneca has conveniently come along and kind of screw that up though as they don't want to give it to critical front line or >65.

I will anecdotally say at my appointment it was basically myself and many 20-something nurses, which yes I do appreciate what we do but at the same time I kind of do not think we really needed to be the very, very first. There are many physicians who ALSO have personal risk factors and I don't think I should have qualified just because of the settings I cover.

I think the deluge of vaccines is getting better though finally. It was just last week the government hadn't laid out the plan and community physicians thought they weren't eligible until the summer...

Last edited:

correcaminos

I disagree ! All of this virtue signaling coming from people on social media when they get their vaccine is silly. Imagine if we did this with all of our medical procedures?? I would hope most Americans wouldn't be so easily influenced by pop culture in terms of their health. This isn't an anti vaccine post just think the girling around it is nonsense.

Also I am calling BS on that poll. I live in a very conservative state where President Trump won hands down , my particular town would be considered Trump country and people are getting vaccinated left and right here.
You can feel as you wish about this, but like the polio vaccine, we needed the show to get people to trust it. I'm sorry I spent many hours of my life in a trial to help bring this to all and yes, I'm mad as all get out at the former president for his cowardly move. VP Pence helped show, but we needed Trump for the crazies out there.

Maybe you don't realize this, but Elvis Presley actually went publicly getting the polio vaccine to help bring people to trust it more. We 100% need this to happen to get our lives back.

Don't you doubt that poll, I see it everywhere living in a slightly red state and it is maddening how one group so thoughtlessly followed one man. As a 100% independent who will never side with one party, this disgusts me. I thank Pres Biden, and VP Harris as well as former VP Pence for making a show of it. Same with Dolly Parton. We need more of it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You can feel as you wish about this, but like the polio vaccine, we needed the show to get people to trust it. I'm sorry I spent many hours of my life in a trial to help bring this to all and yes, I'm mad as all get out at the former president for his cowardly move. VP Pence helped show, but we needed Trump for the crazies out there.

Maybe you don't realize this, but Elvis Presley actually went publicly getting the polio vaccine to help bring people to trust it more. We 100% need this to happen to get our lives back.

Don't you doubt that poll, I see it everywhere living in a slightly red state and it is maddening how one group so thoughtlessly followed one man. As a 100% independent who will never side with one party, this disgusts me. I thank Pres Biden, and VP Harris as well as former VP Pence for making a show of it. Same with Dolly Parton. We need more of it.

Yeah, and I think it would be great if people were more public about vaccines they get and procedures, especially preventives like colon cancer screening.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Andy Slavitt (former Obama health guy, and helping the Biden admin in the short term) posted on Twitter today that

56% of people age 65+ have received a first dose
66% of people age 75+ have received a first dose

Florida, or the whole country?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/05/health/herd-immunity-usa-vaccines-alone/index.html

CNN thinks we will reach herd immunity at some point in the summer...
I am hopeful the pace improves a bunch in the next few weeks. The 2M shots a day doesn‘t include JnJ yet and both Pfizer and Moderna are expecting to ramp up deliveries too. Even so its really promising that even at the current pace we should be able to reach a level vaccinated that‘s likely to be herd immunity by July. Any improvement in pace will only move that up. Really exciting news. I also saw that an epidemiologist who works for the CDC said his agency estimates herd immunity could be reached at 60% immune. That would push the month up from July to end of June.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Yeah, and I think it would be great if people were more public about vaccines they get and procedures, especially preventives like colon cancer screening.
I agree completely! I brought up on FB a while back about a procedure I had to help correct urinary incontinence after giving birth to my kiddos. It was enlightening how many women wanted more information and how many men wondered why I felt the need to say anything public. After that post I had quite a few female friends contact me to ask for more information.

(For anyone interested, it is called TVT and thanks to the surgery I can now jump on a trampoline again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom