Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAKECOTCenter

Interesting. First time I’ve seen anyone quantify a vaccine percentage as the gateway to remove the mask mandates. In theory if the vaccine rollout progresses as planned and enough people take the vaccine there is a good chance they hit that percentage by the end of April. Before anyone gets too excited, that doesn’t mean WDW will relax their mask mandates at the same time. Disney Springs opened with a full mask rule weeks before Orange County passed a county wide mask mandate. It’s possible (likely?) Disney will keep a mask mandate longer than the county, but it’s another step towards eventually relaxing the rule. It could also mean local competitors will relax mask rules and put pressure on Disney to follow.
Disney doesn't follow the local Orlando government as we all know with the Reedy Creek Improvement District but places like Univeral and Seaworld do. That could allow the local theme parks to drop the mask mandate before Disney

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney doesn't follow the local Orlando government as we all know with the Reedy Creek Improvement District but places like Univeral and Seaworld do. That could allow the local theme parks to drop the mask mandate before Disney
WDW is in Orange County so they do have to follow the county mask mandate. One section is in Osceola County. So removing the mandate at the county level will open them up to remove it if they choose. Since Disney is almost certain to be more conservative than the county it’s not really a big deal. It’s more of an Insight into how people are thinking about the mandates.

JAKECOTCenter

WDW is in Orange County so they do have to follow the county mask mandate. One section is in Osceola County. So removing the mandate at the county level will open them up to remove it if they choose. Since Disney is almost certain to be more conservative than the county it’s not really a big deal. It’s more of an Insight into how people are thinking about the mandates.
It will be up to Reedy Creek ID ultimately on the decision. But this is good progress on the issue

Kevin_W

Interesting. First time I’ve seen anyone quantify a vaccine percentage as the gateway to remove the mask mandates.
Our governor (pressured by other Republicans after the Texas announcement) released a target today for removing masks and other restrictions. He targeted a caseload of 50 daily cases per 100,000 population (about 30% of where we're at today). At the current rate of decline, that would be 10-12 weeks from now, but predicting the future has been a fool's errand. Hopefully vaccination speeds up that timeline and new variants don't make it worse.

His announcement seemed to irritate people on both sides of the political spectrum, so it's probably a reasonable target be my estimation. :) It's certainly interesting to live in a state with a non-Trump, republican governor.

correcaminos

Our governor (pressured by other Republicans after the Texas announcement) released a target today for removing masks and other restrictions. He targeted a caseload of 50 daily cases per 100,000 population (about 30% of where we're at today). At the current rate of decline, that would be 10-12 weeks from now, but predicting the future has been a fool's errand. Hopefully vaccination speeds up that timeline and new variants don't make it worse.

His announcement seemed to irritate people on both sides of the political spectrum, so it's probably a reasonable target be my estimation. :) It's certainly interesting to live in a state with a non-Trump, republican governor.
Crap, he did? Stupid work made me miss this. I'm in Franklin Co though and we had mandates before the state did. We also had variants similar to the UK for a while. Politically you are correct, both sides don't like him now.

DisneyCane

Looking at the pdf report today, the percentage of fatalities that were 65 and over is now up to 84%. Another 11% are 55-64. Doing some very advanced math, 95% of all COVID fatalities in FL were people 55 and over.

While the supply of vaccines is limited, I don't know how you can argue that people shouldn't be prioritized by age. Let's say for the elderly there is an acceptance rate of 85%. That means that by vaccinating all 65+ who want to be you will eliminate 70% of the fatalities and if you expanded that to 55+ you'd eliminate 80%.

In terms of population, you can eliminate 70% of fatalities by vaccinating 18% of the population (21% eligible) and you can eliminate 80% of the fatalities by vaccinating 30% of the population (35% eligible).

Those percentages vaccinated are less than half (far less in the 65+ case) than it takes to get to herd immunity. It makes far more sense to me to target all available doses at these populations which are statistically the most likely to end up as fatalities instead of using them on young teachers.

DisneyCane

It's certainly possible (probable) that, at some point, Governor Desantis will put out an executive order that stops allowing county mask mandates like when he ordered that they can't keep any businesses closed and had to allow at least 50% capacity in restaurants and bars.

I assume that order will come either after a certain percentage of Florida residents are vaccinated or the daily cases drop below some threshold.

Of course, WDW will be free to continue to require masks if they want to just like all the businesses in Texas are able to.

DisneyCane

What State are you in? The highest I see on the CDC site is 38.8 per 100k for any State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom