Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I had Moderna, my sister had Pfizer and we both made similar comments after not having any adverse affects from the second doses. "Hmmm...maybe it's not working?"

My Sister and her husband had the same concern, both for the Pfizer and neither had any side effects. My Sister, who has a medical background, kept thinking of ways they could have made a mistake and not vaccinated them properly.

Bottom line, it's very random who has side effects and how doesn't. No real patterns to it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just wondering, has Fox News or Newsmax been pushing some line lately about how we now have the vaccines because of Trump? After a few weeks of fairly technical discussions, we've seen a large uptick in those sentiments here lately.

Let me say this... Operation Warp Speed was one necessary step to allow these vaccines (minus Pfizer-BIONTECH) to be deployed in such record time... but it wasn't the main reason. It was partially luck that these mRNA vaccine technologies already existed and that they could be adapted for COVID relatively easily. Operation Warp Speed mostly eliminated some intermediate administrative steps because it guaranteed financing, but these were not the major hurdles that needed to be passed to reach the final goal. The biggest reason by far was because the vaccine trials reached their clinical endpoints much quicker than anticipated, due to the pandemic generating such a huge daily case load. I've written this several times before, but here goes again... you can prove statistical significance much quicker when you have a disease with a daily incidence measured in the tens of thousands.

It was also fortunate that the whole process went pretty smoothly. Some people criticize those who doubted it could happen this fast, but it's hard to blame them for those doubts. Even if you did the calculations on how much you could speed up the process there would still have been to many potential hurdles that you could not account for.

MaryJaneP

I didn't realize name calling was OK here? I wear a mask for various reasons but I can't imagine being so disparaging towards others who don't.
You are right. The prior post expressed frustration that should not necessarily be shouldered by those who legitimately cannot wear a mask for medical reasons and merely should be directed a those who choose not to in the face of a deadly worldwide pandemic despite being completely physically capable of wearing one.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just wondering, has Fox News or Newsmax been pushing some line lately about how we now have the vaccines because of Trump? After a few weeks of fairly technical discussions, we've seen a large uptick in those sentiments here lately.

Let me say this... Operation Warp Speed was one necessary step to allow these vaccines (minus Pfizer-BIONTECH) to be deployed in such record time... but it wasn't the main reason. It was partially luck that these mRNA vaccine technologies already existed and that they could be adapted for COVID relatively easily. Operation Warp Speed mostly eliminated some intermediate administrative steps because it guaranteed financing, but these were not the major hurdles that needed to be passed to reach the final goal. The biggest reason by far was because the vaccine trials reached their clinical endpoints much quicker than anticipated, due to the pandemic generating such a huge daily case load. I've written this several times before, but here goes again... you can prove statistical significance much quicker when you have a disease with a daily incidence measured in the tens of thousands.

If giving Trump credit convinces more Trump supporters to get the vaccine, then I am all for it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I think when Biden announced this week that we will have enough doses for all adults by end of May and also took credit for brokering the JnJ and Merck deal that triggered some people who were hoping for a failed rollout under him. I agree with your sentiment on warp speed.

correcaminos

Digital would probably be easier to hack and fake. The government is one of the worst players when it comes to IT security.
Not sure I agree as an IT person but I don't work for the govt.

it’s not that it never affects a 40 year old. It’s that when it comes down to the odds, the 70 year old is much more likely to suffer more. Which is why they need to be given vaccine priority
And as I said many times the 70 year old was given priority at first. Now they are just adding in from a different pool of doses anyway. Risk is not just age but also job. If that weren't the case why did we vaccinate other essentials.

The problem is that you have vocal parents saying get our kids back in school. I’m not picking a side here at all but you can’t say that and then say teachers who want to be safe can’t get the vaccine. It can’t work that way. At least our parent,yours and mine..79 and 80 here, can stay inside until the can get the vaccine. Mine got their second shot last week but speaking generally. Teachers don’t have that option. So either get the teachers vaccinated and open schools so they feel safe or dont have them in 1a group and stay hybrid as much as you can if cases are out of control in whatever area you live in. You or I have no say in determining how a teacher feels about their safety in their job. Especially the older teachers which we have tens of thousands of.
My school district was sued by these people. We were pushed to go full time before fully vaccinated. We were to go back after the quarter. We were shoved to do it 2 weeks before the end. People suck.

And yes I know there are at risk kids who do need school but those most vocal aren't in that group either.

havoc315

Can't even get the covidiots to wear a mask, and your alternative is a "vaccine passport"? Yeah, that'll work better.

Of course it will work better -- they don't have a choice. In the end, nobody can force you to wear a mask, but they can prevent you from entering a business without a mask.
Same with a vaccine passport -- totally voluntary, but you're not entering the gym or movie theater without it. You're not getting hired by an employer without it.

correcaminos

I've been waiting to get my Global Entry approved for two years. This would be essentially the same program except they'd need to incorporate medical data and process 300 MILLION people. A vaccine passport would take decades at government speeds.
2 years? Wow what did you do to get that not approved?

Only do precheck. Got my renewal in less than 24 hours this week. Kid got approved this summer in 2 days.

JoeCamel

Did you have rough first doses? I've read if you have had covid before both doses, the first one is worse. Additionally - I know people who recieved the second dose and only felt a mild headache for an hour or two. Everyone is different

I had a pretty severe case months before getting the Pfizer and just some soreness, a little headache and maybe a lymph node swelled a bit but all gone in a day or so. I will see after I get my second tomorrow what happens. Hope it is the same.
My Sister and her husband had the same concern, both for the Pfizer and neither had any side effects. My Sister, who has a medical background, kept thinking of ways they could have made a mistake and not vaccinated them properly.

Bottom line, it's very random who has side effects and how doesn't. No real patterns to it.
I can't see any pattern to who has severe symptoms with the virus or severe reactions to the vaccine, tricky little bug we are dealing with.

havoc315

Actually, all it will create is an underground network of people creating fake passports for people that don't want to vaccinate.

You can't fake it unless you hack into a Federal computer system. They aren't going to be little cards you run through a photocopier. Government and tech is working on a digital passport through a universal app. (potentially international).

It would be easier to fake a real passport than the vaccine passport. And how easy is it to get a fake passport? Think someone is going to go through the illegal activity of getting a fake passport, in order to keep their job, knowing they will go to jail for faking it. When they could have just gotten a quick free injection instead.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not sure I agree as an IT person but I don't work for the govt.
I've been an IT person for 45 years, and the vast majority for the federal government in one capacity or another, and IT security for most organizations is way down the budget priority list. There are exceptions, such as the military, but a lot of agencies have a dismal track record when it comes to IT security.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
All side effects started ~12 hours after the shot for about 24 hours. A constant fever between 100-101, full body aches, pains, and chills. Also one of the worst headaches I've ever had! So fun all around 😂
Wow, well glad its over for you. It's so strange my sister (40 years old) and my best friend (36 years old) had 2 days of fever/chills/aches much like you but my parents (75 and 84) had no side affects at all.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You can't fake it unless you hack into a Federal computer system. They aren't going to be little cards you run through a photocopier. Government and tech is working on a digital passport through a universal app. (potentially international).

It would be easier to fake a real passport than the vaccine passport. And how easy is it to get a fake passport? Think someone is going to go through the illegal activity of getting a fake passport, in order to keep their job, knowing they will go to jail for faking it. When they could have just gotten a quick free injection instead.
So what do you do with the literally millions of people that don't have smartphones? Not everyone owns an Android or IOS phone.

sullyinMT

It was also fortunate that the whole process went pretty smoothly. Some people criticize those who doubted it could happen this fast, but it's hard to blame them for those doubts. Even if you did the calculations on how much you could speed up the process there would still have been to many potential hurdles that you could not account for.
Exactly. We had/have a lot of potential candidates, but the fact that many have "hit" globally is nothing short of a miracle. The could have all gone the way of Sanofi and Merck, or all been ~50% effective even before new strains came about.

Heppenheimer

2 years? Wow what did you do to get that not approved?

Only do precheck. Got my renewal in less than 24 hours this week. Kid got approved this summer in 2 days.
Odd, I had my NEXUS card less than a month after I sent in the application (probably helped that I lived near the interview station, though).

sullyinMT

So what do you do with the literally millions of people that don't have smartphones? Not everyone owns an Android or IOS phone.
I'm not an advocate for any system outside of international travel and cruises, but an RFID card or something like the passport ID cards offered for international land and sea crossing would be a viable option. Scannable at necessary points via readers already in place at those points.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I had a pretty severe case months before getting the Pfizer and just some soreness, a little headache and maybe a lymph node swelled a bit but all gone in a day or so. I will see after I get my second tomorrow what happens. Hope it is the same.

I can't see any pattern to who has severe symptoms with the virus or severe reactions to the vaccine, tricky little bug we are dealing with.

The one good pattern I do see, is that pretty much everyone I have heard getting side effects, also said they were completely gone in 24/36 hours. Never even had a flu that went away that quick.

havoc315

Actually, most people do. But those that dont, get a card which can be verified with biometrics against a Federal database.

Honestly, the whole "vaccine passports can't work" arguments are starting to remind me of the stupid arguments against masks at Disney World, that I was hearing a year ago. "Disney can't mandate masks, people will just take them off! Disney can't mandate masks, there aren't enough masks for everyone! Disney can't mandate masks, because people won't be able to afford the masks!"

Now, I don't think we will do vaccine passports -- because it's a political firestorm. The far right will have their brains explode.
But there is absolutely no question that vaccine passports could and would work, if we have the willpower to use them.

Israel is the model, they are working there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom