Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

A year ago all you guys were as negative as all get out. Now you're screaming to be positive. Why the change? Is it the guy that kind string two sentences together? LOL. The change in attitude is remarkable and pretty amusing. I'm not just referring to you, but the whole group.
Most posters here, including @GoofGoof, have been pretty consistent in tone regardless of who's president. You're politicising things needlessly.

Chomama

A year ago all you guys were as negative as all get out. Now you're screaming to be positive. Why the change? Is it the guy that kind string two sentences together? LOL. The change in attitude is remarkable and pretty amusing. I'm not just referring to you, but the whole group.
I have mostly observed for a year. I really do think the tone has been consistent. I do see cautious optimism now that we seem to have a glimpse of relief from this thing. It seems like those that were more concerned are thrilled to see something finally improve. The previous administration succeeded in funding this vaccine development and kudos to them. I will give credit when due. Roll out, not so much, but I am grateful we have the vaccine. Things are looking up and we should all be grateful

hopemax

Never fear... I think these guys are overly optimistic about the backside of the pandemic, same as so many were on the frontside, and this spring and next winter will have a bigger "bite" than people are imagining. Even if it is a massive improvement over the last year. 80% decline from this winter's numbers would still be worse than any recent flu, and 2009 H1N1 was not without warnings and "management" by health departments. And then people will be whining that they weren't told the truth, totally forgetting about how they steamrolled over any words of caution with accusations of manipulation and sandbagging. :p

hopemax

And just a quick note about CO. Vaccinations for K-12 teachers and childcare workers were opened on Feb 8th. As of today, 78% of the 120,000 eligible have received a first dose. Phase 1B3 (age 60+, grocery and agriculture workers, and those with 2 conditions ~958,000 people) starts on Friday. Hope to start age 50+ by March 21st.

seascape

This was sped up considerably. Often drugs require years before they get approval.

It's also worth noting that one of the biggest reasons for vaccine hesitancy right now is "it was rushed"
The vaccine was not rushed as fast as you think. It normally takes years to find a vaccine that works in the lab but because of new technology it only took 5 days. Yes, the time between the 3 phases of safety testing was reduced it did not change the fact that all 3 phases were done before any FDA approval was issued. Further it should be noted that was not the case during prior administrations emergency use authorization has been given prior to completion of phase 3 testing and the media didn't raise objections.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Has there been any speculation on what benchmarks Disney has set in order to return to normal operation (no masks, higher capacity, fireworks, fast passes, etc)?

Now, mind you, I’m not looking to ignite a political fight about what their benchmarks should be. I am more curious if anyone knows what their thought pattern would be.

Meaning what percentage of the population would need to be vaccinated, what the new daily cases would have to drop to, positivity rate, etc. in order to satisfy management in to returning to normal.

Still a hell of a lot lower than they are now...best guess.

I think resumption of international travel is an unwritten precursor to that.

Also...as we have kicked around...they may not ever go fully back to a sardine factory mentality.

I mean...do we WANT people in our faces? Bumping into each other in the emporium or the ordering windows at pecos bills?

There’s a different between “necessary social interaction”...and that.

DisneyDebRob

I don’t understand why you can’t be positive and also point out the negative without being labeled one side or the other. I think the extreme in any position maybe wrong. Look, vaccines are rolling out. We are getting more shots in arms today then a few weeks ago. Another vaccine rolled out, all great news! Also there are still 2000 dying a day and in the last week deaths and cases have ticked up about 2% so we still need to take it slow. See, both sides represented right there and both are the truth. We need to be realistic about what’s happening.. nothing wrong with being positive about what’s happening with the vaccine but also keeping a eye on what the virus is doing. Can’t we all get along?

DisneyCane

I don’t understand why you can’t be positive and also point out the negative without being labeled one side or the other. I think the extreme in any position maybe wrong. Look, vaccines are rolling out. We are getting more shots in arms today then a few weeks ago. Another vaccine rolled out, all great news! Also there are still 2000 dying a day and in the last week deaths and cases have ticked up about 2% so we still need to take it slow. See, both sides represented right there and both are the truth. We need to be realistic about what’s happening.. nothing wrong with being positive about what’s happening with the vaccine but also keeping a eye on what the virus is doing. Can’t we all get along?
I wouldn't make too much about the slight increase in cases. The winter storm artificially suppressed the prior week. Let's see what happens next over the next week before drawing any conclusions.

correcaminos

I think for some, the same people over and over are super negative all the time pushing for a more extreme reactioj. Then there are the opposite here pushing for the opposite. Then you have a full range of people in between. I think outside of ignoring what people are saying it becomes emotionally draining to have someone always rain on your glimmer of hope. Just like it is draining to have someone be flippant about the situation. I think people are just exhausted as a whole and need something good to look forward to. I'm personally not pressed about small increases and such when places open up more before all are vaccinated. I expect little bumps but overall, decreasing as a whole. Some take the little blips with caution, some with fear, and others with indifference to the whole thing anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I have little (if any) tolerance for those that can’t objectively look at data or common sense and accept it because they don’t like how it makes them “feel”

But this board is part of my group therapy...I do a good job of interacting with adults that talk about “magic”...it’s a work in progress.

As far as Disney/parks/covid mitigation goes - this is almost a binary choice at this point.

I don’t question Disney’s ability to crunch data, weigh legal risks, and generate profits. Their record is rock solid.
So if they have masks, it’s in their best interests. I see more posts asking - or demanding - when the masks will be gone?
It’s really simple: you can go in with precautions...or wait till they’re gone. Quite simple. You either want it...or you don’t. I hope we don’t see complaints and hand ringing trying to “thread the needle”?

DisneyDebRob

I wouldn't make too much about the slight increase in cases. The winter storm artificially suppressed the prior week. Let's see what happens next over the next week before drawing any conclusions.
Would agree with you if just looking at the data myself. But the CDC was making comments about it and I think they see and know a lot more then I do so it’s something to keep a eye on.

Touchdown

Just wanted to link this here, 6 months ago I had a rather heated debate about this one. It’s time for hydroxychloroquine to go back to things it’s good at, like treating malaria and autoimmune diseases.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Would agree with you if just looking at the data myself. But the CDC was making comments about it and I think they see and know a lot more then I do so it’s something to keep a eye on.

The cdc/nih see EXACTLY where this is going...people are gonna go overboard, bowing to pressure from the low thought segment, and screw this up.

I think we’re really close to getting things back into the box...but need to just hold it until the summer gets here. Use Mother Nature as a tool this time. We wasted it last year and they don’t want that again. It’s a huge risk economically and politically.

I mean...they’re gonna have 2,800 yinzers at a hockey game in Pittsburgh tonight after allowing it yesterday. What the hell is the point of that? It’s not enough for “money” to be made and it just gets people more squirrely/Whiney moving forward...

Doesn’t make sense.

DisneyDebRob

Just wanted to link this here, 6 months ago I had a rather heated debate about this one. It’s time for hydroxychloroquine to go back to things it’s good at, like treating malaria and autoimmune diseases.
I thought we all put that to rest half a year ago. Are people still believing that?

Heppenheimer

Not to rain in on anyone's happy train, but this has me a little concerned:

We're in a lull right now, and maybe nursing home residents are better protected now than ever before. But not nearly enough people are vaccinated yet for us to be able to rely on them to save us from another surge. We still need to mask and social distance. And judging by our collective performance on those matters thus far... I'm not too confident.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

“Stupid is as stupid watches on tv” 🙄

DisneyDebRob

The cdc/nih see EXACTLY where this is going...people are gonna go overboard, bowing to pressure from the low thought segment, and screw this up.

I think we’re really close to getting things back into the box...but need to just hold it until the summer gets here. Use Mother Nature as a tool this time. We wasted it last year and they don’t want that again. It’s a huge risk economically and politically.

I mean...they’re gonna have 2,800 yinzers at a hockey game in Pittsburgh tonight after allowing it yesterday. What the hell is the point of that? It’s not enough for “money” to be made and it just gets people more squirrely/Whiney moving forward...

Doesn’t make sense.
Agreed. Does letting 2000 people into a sports arena make us feel more normal? It doesn’t to me at all. Heck, the players won’t even notice. Let’s just give it a few more months.. we went this long let’s try and knock it out the best we can.
There’s no money to be made, I don’t get it. What do I know I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom