Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

Now do it by demographic cohort and tell me how scared a 30 year old woman should be?

Spoiler alert: Not at all.
This 30 year old? https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/15/long-hauler-covid/?arc404=true

If anyone gets paywalled, it's a profile of a 30 year old, former D1 athlete who is 1 year into long covid. She is unable to perform her finance sector job due to the persistent fatigue and brain fog (making trade orders and then forgetting what you are doing, is apparently a bad thing) and is currently on disability.

Death is not the only outcome worth avoiding. The UK study indicated that 10% of 18-49 year olds develop long covid, although most are not as serious as hers, which is way worse than the death rate, for this age group. Also, that among younger age groups, women are 50% more likely than men to develop long covid.

havoc315

The Supreme Court has, in the last few weeks, ruled in several cases against restrictions that have been placed on churches. One order was just handed down on Friday night forcing San Rafael County, California to permit indoor religious gatherings.

Yes, but the Supreme Court has also upheld restrictions. Typically, when they have stuck down restrictions -- it's when they perceive religious gatherings being restricted more than similar secular activities.

The lines get gray -- which is why the Supreme Court has issued divided rulings.

But there is no question that some time / place / manner restrictions are entirely consistent with the Constitution.
Certainly, if a State said, "theater and shows are open at 50% capacity, but all churches must stay closed" -- that would run afoul of the Constitution. But a general regulation that "for the next 3 months, all indoor auditoriums, assembly halls, churches, etc, are limited to 25% of their capacity" -- That is entirely consistent with the Constitution.

CaptainAmerica

I've often said my mom is more Catholic than the pope and even she was fine with not going to church during the pandemic.
So what? EVERYONE is entitled to their religion. The fact that one religion (or one individual) is "okay with restrictions" does not obligate very other religion to be okay with restrictions.

CaptainAmerica

This 30 year old? https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/15/long-hauler-covid/?arc404=true

If anyone gets paywalled, it's a profile of a 30 year old, former D1 athlete who is 1 year into long covid. She is unable to perform her finance sector job due to the persistent fatigue and brain fog (making trade orders and then forgetting what you are doing, is apparently a bad thing) and is currently on disability.

Death is not the only outcome worth avoiding. The UK study indicated that 10% of 18-49 year olds develop long covid, although most are not as serious as hers, which is way worse than the death rate, for this age group. Also, that among younger age groups, women are 50% more likely than men to develop long covid.
The fact that this is a one-off major story is kind of the point. It's exceedingly rare. So rare, in fact, that if it happens to you the Washington Post will do a story on it.

Anecdotes are great. My grandmother is 75 and got COVID three weeks ago. Her only symptom was loss of taste. That's not proof of anything.

James J

In the Parks
No
I'm saying *I don't care* how serious it is, because nothing justifies what they've done to people's liberty and autonomy for the past year. I don't care if it would have lead to 10 million deaths. So be it.

I can't believe you've actually written that statement. That you don't care if 10 million people died, just so you could carry on life as normal.

Here in England, we're in our third and hopefully final lockdown. We haven't been able to get back to the USA since the pandemic hit to see my wife's family. I've barely seen my parents who live 30 minutes away since last February, and like everybody else various plans have gone down the drain. But I'm quite happy to stay indoors and cancel plans to save lives and prevent our healthcare system from being completely overwhelmed. A former colleague lost both of her parents to Covid last week which was heartbreaking, and the more we can prevent that the better. We actually should have locked down sooner than we did on each occasion, but our government's incompetency can never be questioned.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 3.06.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 3.06.17 PM.png

Heppenheimer

You guys seem to be attributing to me things you've seen on Twitter, I guess?

I'm not saying COVID is fake. I'm not saying COVID isn't dangerous. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy. I'm not saying my preferred course of action would have led to fewer deaths.

I'm saying *I don't care* how serious it is, because nothing justifies what they've done to people's liberty and autonomy for the past year. I don't care if it would have lead to 10 million deaths. So be it.
I missed that statement. Wow, just... wow. You'd be fine with almost 10 times the total death count for all US war casualties in our history? All that for a narrow definition of "liberty and autonomy"? And you think that 3% of the US population dying wouldn't have far worse add-on consequences than restricting the number of people who can dine indoors or mandating mask wearing in certain circumstances?

DisneyCane

Was there a NASCAR race yesterday....or just a reporting delay;););)
I'd expect a bit of a test data dump today or tomorrow. Something must have happened yesterday because there were fewer test results reported yesterday than any day I can remember for months and a very abnormal drop from Saturday to Sunday. I don't think it had anything to do with a race in Homestead with 10k people or whatever limited capacity they allowed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Todays Florida numbers are the lowest in months and months. Since October after some research I just did.

All of the major counties also extremely low amount of cases.

and... the positivity rate stayed low throughout Florida even with the low amount of cases.
Testing is about 1/3 what the run rate is. Likely a reporting delay from somewhere. I doubt that few people got tested.

Tom P.

I can't believe you've actually written that statement. That you don't care if 10 million people died, just so you could carry on life as normal.

Here in England, we're in our third and hopefully final lockdown. We haven't been able to get back to the USA since the pandemic hit to see my wife's family. I've barely seen my parents who live 30 minutes away since last February, and like everybody else various plans have gone down the drain. But I'm quite happy to stay indoors and cancel plans to save lives and prevent our healthcare system from being completely overwhelmed. A former colleague lost both of her parents to Covid last week which was heartbreaking, and the more we can prevent that the better. We actually should have locked down sooner than we did on each occasion, but our government's incompetency can never be questioned.
Suppose a new variant emerges that successfully evades the vaccine. And then one after that. And then another. Or suppose another new virus appears in the wild just as this one is winding down. What if the timeline continues to be extended? Should we stay locked down for 5 years? 10? At what point do you have to say that, regardless of risk, life has to go on?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd expect a bit of a test data dump today or tomorrow. Something must have happened yesterday because there were fewer test results reported yesterday than any day I can remember for months and a very abnormal drop from Saturday to Sunday. I don't think it had anything to do with a race in Homestead with 10k people or whatever limited capacity they allowed.
Haha. I was just kidding on the NASCAR thing. Just trying to think of why everyone would stay home and skip getting tested. I agree likely a reporting delay. Maybe someone took a long weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom