Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Pfizer’s 12-15 has been fully-enrolled for weeks. Moderna’s 12-17 is fully-enrolled as of today.

And yet, still no start date for younger kids other than “soon”. I understand it takes awhile. Why haven’t they started, then? If case numbers continue to fall, it will be even harder to get volunteers (once the virus “isn’t dangerous”) and will take longer to collect data due to a lower infection rate once it is summer (the virus shows seasonality) and school is out.
From my understanding after considering the Pfizer/BioNTech trial for my teen, was that the teens are getting the same dosage as adults. The children will be different doses as well. So they need to see reactions of slightly smaller people - though to be fair at 12, mine was already bigger than me lol - and go from there. As it is, it was harder for them to get teens for the trial. I'll post more below the next comment as to why.
The closest juvenile trial is almost a 2hr drive from me. Missing work for a trial combined with a kid missing school due to the appointments, there's no way I would travel that far even if mine qualified.
Ours is about 30-45 minutes away as long as traffic isn't awful and even that adds up for us. The trials are time consuming. My first appointment was 3 hours in when a computer glitch sent me home. My second visit I had to start all over again and it took 4 hours not including time to get there and back. Third visit was 2.5 hours or so. Forth visit was maybe 45 minutes (only a blood draw). Add in travel time and for us, crazy school changes from hybrid to distance learning to hybrid etc and I couldn't figure out how to do it with my son. If in hybrid he'd miss his only in person time with the teachers for a week. They were not, at the time, doing weekend or night hours either. Add in a hint of fear of needles and we opted not to enroll my about to turn 13yo.

I think in the grand scheme of modern medical costs...none are that pricey. Drop in the bucket all things considered.
Total truth as sad as it is!

DKampy

Wow all this talk about dead malls... we have 3 malls... although not as popular as they use to be... they are not dead... all the stores are still open through out the mall...one in paticular is still quite crowded... to the point I usually have to drive around in search of a parking spot in non holiday times

TrainsOfDisney

Wow all this talk about dead malls... we have 3 malls... although not as popular as they use to be... they are not dead... all the stores are still open through out the mall...one in paticular is still quite crowded... to the point I usually have to drive around in search of a parking spot in non holiday times
I’m sure some are still around but the one closest to me is very dead. I think the Belk is still open? 1 Mexican restaurant and the movie theatre.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Probably to early to be concerned, but over the past 5 days the average cases in the US has stopped declining...

1614269907591.png

Florida is showing a similar leveling off..

1614269947732.png

ToTBellHop

I thought the vaccines were too rushed?

Good science takes time it is a remarkable achievement to have successfully made and mass produced half 5* (Moderna, Pfizer, J&J, Novavax, Sputnik V appears to be identical to J&J, I’m sure that’s totally a coincidence 🙄) highly effective vaccines and 2 effective ones (AZ, Sinovac,) trust me the kids vaccines are going forward as quickly as possible.
They are not doing this as quickly as possible. They haven’t even started enrolling kids. If they are doing this as quickly as possible, why was Fauci suggesting all school-age children could receive vaccines as early as fall, but is now saying it will be 6 months later? The man is very intelligent. He thought fall 2021 was reasonable and is now saying early 2022. This suggests to me that the pharmaceuticals are not hitting the pace he thought was possible based upon his decades of experience.

I know how trials are run and how hard it will be to find enough kids to test multiple dosages and get data as case counts fall. That’s why they should be already enrolling. Any interest from parents in enrolling their kids is presently at its highest. If cases fall by as much as expected by summer, parental interest will be nonexistent as people will be too busy taking beach vacations.

And I’m not one to downplay the significance of developing vaccines this quickly. I have pointed out again and again that it is remarkable to go from discovering a virus to marketing its vaccine in 11 months.

If you can make a vaccine, test it on animals, then a small group of adults, report, and then test it on 30k or more adults and get EUA and shots into general population arms in 11 months, it should not take 12 months to do a Phase III with 3k kids.

As time goes by and grandmas and grandpas stop dying of COVID-19, people will become even less interested in vaccinating their kids. If they don’t vaccinate kids, we keep COVID-19 indefinitely, it’s just less dangerous than now and some years there will be more dangerous strains (like flu).

If that is the reality we are committing to (and the people making decisions are not stupid—they are well-aware of how vaccine acceptance should progress over time) then we might as well lift restrictions a couple months after the vaccines are widely available. The end result will be the same--about half of us will have artificially-induced active immunity from vaccine while the rest slowly develop naturally-acquired active immunity from getting sick (and some die). The first group gets a yearly booster while the other gets sick with each year’s dominant variants (and some more die). That’s about as good as herd immunity gets in free society with no vaccine mandates.

ToTBellHop

False, my sister just got a request to enroll her 7 year old son in a joint Pfizer/Moderna study in Chicago.
Joint Pfizer/Moderna? That’s a thing pharmaceuticals do? Moderna literally announced today that their KidsCOVE trial will start “in the near term”.

sullyinMT

False, my sister just got a request to enroll her 7 year old son in a joint Pfizer/Moderna study in Chicago.
Is the one study site a participant for both manufacturers? Or have the manufacturers really joined together in a trial? Just curious.

Edit - people were already answering my question 😊

DisneyCane

Probably to early to be concerned, but over the past 5 days the average cases in the US has stopped declining...

View attachment 535254

View attachment 535255
Nationwide I would suspect that there were a lot of tests not done due to the winter storm which were then done when they were able. Taking a quick look at Texas you can see the unrealistic dip when the storm hit. For FL specifically, obviously that had nothing to do with it. There was a similar level off from the summer spike before the decline resumed. Although the rate of decline isn't much, there is still a decline the last few days.

Hopefully accelerating vaccinations will start helping to reduce spread in a few weeks time.

ToTBellHop

Here’s a link to the local news story.

Either Northwestern is doing two studies at the same time, or it’s a joint study.

Okay, so they are signing people up in anticipation of a trial for Pfizer and one for Moderna starting in “3 to 6 weeks.” Progress, at least...

correcaminos

They are not doing this as quickly as possible. They haven’t even started enrolling kids. If they are doing this as quickly as possible, why was Fauci suggesting all school-age children could receive vaccines as early as fall, but is now saying it will be 6 months later? The man is very intelligent. He thought fall 2021 was reasonable and is now saying early 2022. This suggests to me that the pharmaceuticals are not hitting the pace he thought was possible based upon his decades of experience.

I know how trials are run and how hard it will be to find enough kids to test multiple dosages and get data as case counts fall. That’s why they should be already enrolling. Any interest from parents in enrolling their kids is presently at its highest. If cases fall by as much as expected by summer, parental interest will be nonexistent as people will be too busy taking beach vacations.

And I’m not one to downplay the significance of developing vaccines this quickly. I have pointed out again and again that it is remarkable to go from discovering a virus to marketing its vaccine in 11 months.

If you can make a vaccine, test it on animals, then a small group of adults, report, and then test it on 30k or more adults and get EUA and shots into general population arms in 11 months, it should not take 12 months to do a Phase III with 3k kids.

As time goes by and grandmas and grandpas stop dying of COVID-19, people will become even less interested in vaccinating their kids. If they don’t vaccinate kids, we keep COVID-19 indefinitely, it’s just less dangerous than now and some years there will be more dangerous strains (like flu).

If that is the reality we are committing to (and the people making decisions are not stupid—they are well-aware of how vaccine acceptance should progress over time) then we might as well lift restrictions a couple months after the vaccines are widely available. The end result will be the same--about half of us will have artificially-induced active immunity from vaccine while the rest slowly develop naturally-acquired active immunity from getting sick (and some die). The first group gets a yearly booster while the other gets sick with each year’s dominant variants (and some more die). That’s about as good as herd immunity gets in free society with no vaccine mandates.
Without being insulting here, how old are you? I really am curious because mindsets do change often with age. Again I'm not being mean about it but just curious and also are you a parent?

My feelings as a parent is that they are doing what is safe which is why I am asking.

View attachment 535254

View attachment 535255
Two words: winter break
Also snow storms could have been a bigger issue as a whole

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are we just giving up on herd immunity? It seems so. Fauci literally said high schoolers MIGHT have vaccine a bit into fall (like October) while 11-and-under would wait until at least early 2022. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/antho...dents-vaccinated-early-2022/story?id=76002276
Fauci has become a real blow hard lately. He’s completely towing the political line and slow playing things. High school students will all be eligible for the Pfizer vaccine likely by April or May at the latest depending on when the trial ends and how soon we have enough doses for them. No reason to assume a bit into fall. That’s not even being conservative, just being lame.

Ps...as proof that this is really me and @DisneyCane did not hack my account I will add that I still think Trump was arguably the worst President of modern times...and Fauci has become a blow hard lately too ;););)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom