Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

But 331,000,000 people each lost a year of their lives when they were banned from working, playing, and praying in response. That's 331 million life-years lost to COVID lockdowns.
And I would counter that many millions of people had a year out of their lives where they actually slowed down, spent more time with immediate family, learned to cook better, and wholly improved their lives as a result.
Expert 1 says the exact opposite thing as Expert 2. Expert 3 says the exact opposite thing today as he did two weeks ago.

I trust science, but I don't have any reason to trust our scientists after the past year. They've proven over and over again that they either don't know what they're talking about or they're flat-out lying to us. Absent compelling evidence that the scientists *are* competent and honest, yeah I think we should err on the side of people being allowed to go to church, get married, mourn their dead, and provide for their families.

I wear a mask when a business has a rule about them, and I'm going to get the vaccine when it's my time, but what's been done to us over the past year has been nothing short of evil.
Isn't there a meme out there that touts the fact that someone who read a few articles online on the internet suddenly knows more than world-renowned scientists?

havoc315

In this country if you re a health care worker and you still aren’t vaccinated it’s your own fault at this point, due to dropping demand my systems employee clinic will stop vaccinating first doses to employees at the end of this week. We are thankfully protected now, and the push moves out to convincing the general public to get the shot.

The discussion was about hospital visitor restrictions over the last 12 months.

Touchdown

The discussion was about hospital visitor restrictions over the last 12 months.
Well I think it’s time for those to be lifted too, it’s been much easier to get people exceptions as of late, and as long as their masked and not symptomatic I think we need to remove restrictions. It’s not right to keep family members from dying or sick relatives unless there is a really good public health reason. At least in my area I would be all for removing those now.

Flugell

Sorry, can’t work out how to quote!
In reply to Captain America and his statement that 331,000,000 people have lost a year of their lives, I have a lot of sympathy with that perspective but I have more sympathy with the 500,000+ who have lost every year of their lives.
There is no easy answer and each of us have a different perspective based on experience, age and vulnerability etc., each are valid viewpoints but my overwhelming thought is that once dead forever dead.

dreday3

And I would counter that many millions of people had a year out of their lives where they actually slowed down, spent more time with immediate family, learned to cook better, and wholly improved their lives as a result.

Isn't there a meme out there that touts the fact that someone who read a few articles online on the internet suddenly knows more than world-renowned scientists?

I read this a lot - that many people almost found this experience enjoyable and positive.

I'm not debating if we had to do it, we did, but I don't know anyone (singles, teens, couples, parents, grandparents, families) that would say their lives are better because of this. Everyone I know pretty much hated it.

correcaminos

In this country if you re a health care worker and you still aren’t vaccinated it’s your own fault at this point, due to dropping demand my systems employee clinic will stop vaccinating first doses to employees at the end of this week. We are thankfully protected now, and the push moves out to convincing the general public to get the shot.
Or waiting because they tested positive before vaccines were available to them. Or had monoclonal treatments so also waiting 90 days, but those are far and few between (though I do know personally of a few).

_caleb

"Letting grandma die alone" is not a small sacrifice.
I agree that it's not. Most of the sacrifices that most of us have been asked to make would seem to fall into the "minor inconveniences" category. But losing one's livelihood, suffering alone, etc. are indeed significant and should not be taken lightly.

My point still stands that had we really been concerned with these things all along, we'd all be pulling in the same direction with strict personal commitments to following guidelines and recommendations.

bdearl41

That comparison is meaningless. It’s about using the mix of the best tools available at any time. Nobody is saying masks are better than vaccines. Nobody is saying use masks instead of vaccines.
But guess what... if a person has 90% protection from a vaccine... AND they wear a 70% effective mask, then the combined effect is 97% protection. (Ahh, statistics 304 paying off).

and when we reach herd immunity, there is almost 100% protection...without a mask.
I was speaking to the duality of those who push the mask but say the vaccine is insufficient. But yes. Your statistics are correct. My biggest point is get the vaccine.

havoc315

Well I think it’s time for those to be lifted too, it’s been much easier to get people exceptions as of late, and as long as their masked and not symptomatic I think we need to remove restrictions. It’s not right to keep family members from dying or sick relatives unless there is a really good public health reason. At least in my area I would be all for removing those now.

The large NYC hospitals have already been gradually relaxing those rules for a while.
The zero-visitors were really only at the height of overwhelmed hospitals last Spring.

For example, at New York Presbyterian since January:

"At all other NYP locations, visitation hours for adult patients are from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm daily. During this timeframe, one adult visitor is permitted per day for a maximum stay of four hours. We ask that this visitor remain at the bedside throughout the visit unless directed by the care team, and the visitor not convene in any waiting space or communal area inside the Hospital."

That seems to me to be a pretty decent balance.

ABQ

Yes, but we learned that unless mitigation was continued we would go right back to the healthcare system being overwhelmed.
I agree entirely, what I'm speaking about is in the post vaccination era. At that time, if the numbers are staying down, I will be more than ready to see smiling faces again, go to a sold out hockey game and shout at the refs when they blow a call, see a concert, in person and scream, all elbow to elbow with others.

JAKECOTCenter

I mean I would say if supply stops being the primary problem by April the country will be back to normal this year. But that also comes with its own problems like getting more people to administer and get the vaccine hesitancy dealt with

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I was just talking to a co-worker of mine who went to visit a relative in the hospital in NJ and they now have an extensive set guidelines for visitation that has allowed them to open things up more.

bdearl41

Depends where in Asia, as well as the interaction. For example,I spent a month pre-pandemic in Hanoi. In crowds, on planes, etc, 20-50% would wear masks.
I too spent time in Hanoi and also right outside. It was for sure the location that I saw the most masks in. This was a while back 12 years ago but I was told that they were worn more prevalently there due to the pollution problems. All those motor scooters.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The large NYC hospitals have already been gradually relaxing those rules for a while.
The zero-visitors were really only at the height of overwhelmed hospitals last Spring.

For example, at New York Presbyterian since January:

"At all other NYP locations, visitation hours for adult patients are from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm daily. During this timeframe, one adult visitor is permitted per day for a maximum stay of four hours. We ask that this visitor remain at the bedside throughout the visit unless directed by the care team, and the visitor not convene in any waiting space or communal area inside the Hospital."

That seems to me to be a pretty decent balance.

Does this also include COVID patients? The local hospital I was just looking at allows most visitation, but still not for COVID patients.

havoc315

Does this also include COVID patients? The local hospital I was just looking at allows most visitation, but still not for COVID patients.

To my knowledge, it includes Covid patients. There is no visitation allowed in the ER for social distancing. There is more "visitation" allowed in L&D... So there are some ward-specific changes. There is also greater latitude for "end of life" visits.

havoc315

I too spent time in Hanoi and also right outside. It was for sure the location that I saw the most masks in. This was a while back 12 years ago but I was told that they were worn more prevalently there due to the pollution problems. All those motor scooters.

Yup..... nearly 90% of people on those motor scooters wear them. Definitely more of a pollution issue for them...

Wasn't it fun crossing the street in Hanoi??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom