Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom P.

If you would like some actual positive news, here it is. A team at The Mayo Clinic has conducted a large-scale study of more than 31,000 recipients of Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. The results show that the vaccines not only prevent symptoms, but actually prevent infections. Although the study has yet to be peer-reviewed, it is definitely encouraging.

dreday3

If you would like some actual positive news, here it is. A team at The Mayo Clinic has conducted a large-scale study of more than 31,000 recipients of Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. The results show that the vaccines not only prevent symptoms, but actually prevent infections. Although the study has yet to be peer-reviewed, it is definitely encouraging.

I just think when more studies come out that vaccinated people either don't get infected or they don't spread disease, it's going to be harder to enforce mask wearing for vaccinated people, especially when vaccines are available to all.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 121 new reported deaths, along with 4 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 2.51.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 2.51.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 2.51.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 2.51.24 PM.png

DisneyCane

Over 2 million people age 65 and over have received at least one dose. Between backfill data and shots given, it should be over half of the 65+ population within a week from now.

More people have received at least one dose of the vaccine in Florida than have had a positive test by a little over 800k. Second doses are being given at over six times the rate as new positive results.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Too bad this is an opinion piece in a conservative paper with an even more conservative editorial section by just one doctor whose field is not infectious diseases or epidemiology and this is presented as "hidden knowledge that the real experts won't tell you."

There's enough red flags here to have a May Day parade.

I'm not saying that herd immunity isn't going to play a factor come April, but it's clear this op-ed piece is just a "So we can get back to normal and stop wearing masks sooner than later" piece.

It's a re-hash of the earlier "let herd immunity take care of it" crowd, but under the pretense of "vaccinations will get us there" without consideration for sneaky variants, or the unvaccinated populations of small children and those medically compromised such that they can't medically get the vaccine.

Also: one guy with a degree is not consensus medicine.

Darkprime

Too bad this is an opinion piece in a conservative paper with an even more conservative editorial section by just one doctor whose field is not infectious diseases or epidemiology and this is presented as "hidden knowledge that the real experts won't tell you."

I'm not saying that herd immunity isn't going to play a factor come April, but it's clear this op-ed piece is just a "So we can get back to normal and stop wearing masks sooner than later" piece.

It's a re-hash of the earlier "let herd immunity take care of it" crowd, but under the pretense of "vaccinations will get us there" without consideration for sneaky variants, or the unvaccinated populations of small children and those medically compromised such that they can't medically get the vaccine.

Ah my bad didn't realize. I just saw it on the front of r/coronavirus. So assumed it had some merit.

carolina_yankee

Assuming an expert in Whipple procedures has the roadmap out of a pandemic makes about as much sense as assuming a neurosurgeon understands the nuances of housing policy and has the skillset to oversee a complex major government agency . . .

Martin Adel Makary, M.D., M.P.H.​

Photo of Dr. Martin Adel Makary, M.D., M.P.H.

• Chief, Islet Transplant Surgery
  • Professor of Surgery
Male

EXPERTISE​

Abdominal Surgery, Advanced Laparoscopy, Bile Duct Surgery, Distal Pancreatectomy, Frey Procedure, Gallbladder Surgery, Gastrointestinal Cancers, Gastrointestinal Tumors, General Surgery, Geriatric Surgery, Hepatobiliary Surgery, Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery, Laparoscopic Pancreas Surgery, Laparoscopic Whipple Procedure, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Neuroendocrine Tumors, Pancreatic Auto Islet Transplant, Pancreatic Cancer, Pancreatic Surgery, Pancreatic Tumors, Pancreatitis, Stomach Tumors, Surgical Oncology, Transplant Surgery, Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL), Whipple Procedure ...read less

RESEARCH INTERESTS​

Operative Risk Assessment in the Elderly; Cancer Therapy; Minimally-Invasive Surgery; Health Services Research; Occupational Safety; Diabetes; Obesity

Heppenheimer

I commented on this elsewhere... the Wall Street Journal is generally an excellent newspaper, but their opinion section has a pretty bad track record on matters of science or medicine, especially on topics where the expert opinion conflicts with their political agendas. One infamous example I remember was an opinion piece written on climate change written by... a licensed dietician. And he got much of the basic chemistry fundamentally wrong.

Kind of like I trust Dr. Oz on matters of cardiothoracic surgery and nothing else, I wouldn't go to Dr. Makary for a consensus opinion on epidemiology. Having read the article, he also makes quite a few debatable assumptions on numbers.

Heppenheimer

Was there proof of that or were they just deaths coincident with getting the vaccine? The report I posted above showed 113 deaths in the US coincident with getting the vaccine, but none of them have been proven to be the result of the vaccine.
Of those deaths were they had the full medical information available, they did not exceed the background expected mortality for age and medical conditions.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Of those deaths were they had the full medical information available, they did not exceed the background expected mortality for age and medical conditions.

Here's a question for you.... The report points out that a lot of these deaths were in long term care facilities. Obviously these could easily be coincidental deaths, but since the vaccine triggers an immune response could that actually lead to the death of someone who was already in fragile health?

Darkprime

I would be very disappointed if this happened tbh. Just because its overall effectiveness is lower than its competitors doesn't make it a useless vaccine. People don't realize how lucky we are to have just 2 vaccines that are over 90% effective and appear to be effective against new emerging strains. Its made us a bit picky I think. The more vaccines the better and the sooner we can end this pandemic. As long as the vaccine is safe of course. The problem appears to be the data AstraZeneca has given the FDA. Its not enough. Hopefully they can remedy that. At the same time I suppose the FDA not approving a vaccine could add to their credibility and show they aren't just approving any vaccine.

JoeCamel

Here's a question for you.... The report points out that a lot of these deaths were in long term care facilities. Obviously these could easily be coincidental deaths, but since the vaccine triggers an immune response could that actually lead to the death of someone who was already in fragile health?
While any stress will be damaging I think the ones on hospice care are not being vaccinated and from what I saw in the care facilities I was at as family for the last 20 years the end does not come suddenly for the most part. The degree of illness is pretty well known for months before the end comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom