Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

I can assume that the storms in the south this week disrupted the vaccination effort, but I wonder, did any of the power outages result in any significant loss of doses?

Sympathy for Texas. Those temperatures would be a little extreme even where I live in northern Vermont, and then to lose power on top of that? I can't imagine too many Texans have parkas and wool socks in their closets.
Yes, I saw a story this morning that a storage facility lost power so before the vaccine spoiled they notified Rice University and the students could get the doses. They lined up outside in the cold and dark to save them. Tremendous effort.

Kevin_W

They don’t know for sure yet, so they are staying on the side of caution until proven otherwise

Unfortunately, once it goes through the headline translator: "We don't know, but we don't think it does" often becomes "They didn't say no, so therefor it absolutely does".

Chi84

Premium Member
Unfortunately, once it goes through the headline translator: "We don't know, but we don't think it does" often becomes "They didn't say no, so therefor it absolutely does".
The news on that front is actually very encouraging.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

That’s a bit of a clickbait tweet. He originally said by the end of April anyone who wants a shot would be eligible but he said that may now slip into mid-May depending on how fast JnJ ramps up production. So it’s a possible change of a few weeks. Not exactly news worthy to me. By the end of May we are still expecting delivery of enough doses for anyone who wants one. Even without a single dose of JnJ we would have enough doses for over 70% of the eligible people from Pfizer and Moderna alone.

hopemax

I can assume that the storms in the south this week disrupted the vaccination effort, but I wonder, did any of the power outages result in any significant loss of doses?

Sympathy for Texas. Those temperatures would be a little extreme even where I live in northern Vermont, and then to lose power on top of that? I can't imagine too many Texans have parkas and wool socks in their closets.
OT, but is anyone else reading about the situation in Texas and dropping the “leg” off the R in ERCOT? Or is it just me?

Kevin_W

Keep it coming. We are up to 70M doses delivered of the first 200M in Q1. With 7 weeks to go in Q1 they need to ramp up to 18.5M a week on average to hit their targets. So far neither company has alluded to a fear of missing the targets and both recently moved up the Q2 targets to end of May. I would expect that number to keep going up in the next few weeks.

Continued acceleration is good! I was a bit jealous on Sunday having lunch with 3 other adults all of whom had been vaccinated.

I assume the storm will throw a wrench into this week's numbers, and not just in Texas. My parents 2nd shot was scheuled for today and was cancelled. Rescheduled for Thursday.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Continued acceleration is good! I was a bit jealous on Sunday having lunch with 3 other adults all of whom had been vaccinated.

I assume the storm will throw a wrench into this week's numbers, and not just in Texas. My parents 2nd shot was scheuled for today and was cancelled. Rescheduled for Thursday.
Yes, this week will be down on distribution but manufacturing shouldn‘t be too impacted. A lot of places will need to run makeup appointments next week. Hopefully we catch up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Because we have an FDA here...and it’s been quite successful over time.

And they had a “grand re-opening” ceremony 3 weeks ago.
We also have successful Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and a JnJ one about to be approved. If all 3 of those failed and AZ was the only game in town I think the FDA would be facing a ton of pressure to take a faster look at it. There is nothing in the rules that precludes a company from presenting trial results from another country to the FDA but the AZ trials were a little messy so unlikely to happen. Novavax is in discussions with the FDA about potentially submitting for EUA in the US their results from the U.K. trial they ran.

DisneyCane

While increases are certainly good news, that's still only 6.25 million complete series per week so there's a ways to go before making a big dent in the population.

Nice of them to point out the increase since 1/20, even though all of the manufacturing plans leading to doses shipped currently were in place already and had little, if anything, to do with any administration.

Yes, this week will be down on distribution but manufacturing shouldn‘t be too impacted. A lot of places will need to run makeup appointments next week. Hopefully we catch up.

Governor Desantis announced that shipments to FL were delayed due to the weather so there will certainly be reshuffling of appointments. Hopefully there was excess shot giving capacity to make use of when the shipments arrive.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Governor Desantis announced that shipments to FL were delayed due to the weather so there will certainly be reshuffling of appointments. Hopefully there was excess shot giving capacity to make use of when the shipments arrive.
I think times like this are when it may be better to have some doses in reserve. It’s a tough balancing act. We want to use as many doses as possible as fast as possible but if you don’t keep any reserve then you end up cancelling appointments on people. Hopefully they catch up on the shipments next week and those appointments can be easily rescheduled.

Disney Experience

And in the news: How to make money from covid vaccines if your country does not make one: steal the technology (Or at least try):

North Korea hacked to steal Pfizer vaccine intellectual property:

Ha Tae-keung, an opposition member of the parliamentary intelligence panel, said the pharmaceutical giant was among those hacked in the bid to steal information on vaccines and treatments.

"There were attempts to steal COVID vaccine and treatment technology during cyber attacks and Pfizer was hacked," he said.

Speaking to reporters after a briefing by the agency, Ha did not elaborate on the timing or success of the attempt, a transcript of his remarks reviewed by Reuters showed.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 220 new reported deaths, along with 5 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.39.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.39.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.40.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.39.31 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom