Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Personal opinion only: I think masks go away by the end of summer. Why? Because I think people will simply stop wearing them. I'm not making a judgment on whether that's right or wrong. But when we have hundreds of millions of doses of vaccine out there, people are just going to say, "I'm going back to normal," whether governmental authorities want them to or not.
Hopefully it doesn’t come to that and cases drop enough that governments are happy to remove mask mandates.

The only issue is private businesses will still have the right to require masks if they choose. I’m not sure how a place like WDW would react, but right now they are going beyond what’s mandated by the government. I suppose if enough people avoid businesses that still require masks that capitalism could take over and force a change. Once Disney has had a chance to vaccinate their staff it seems much less likely they keep masks around.

dreday3

Personal opinion only: I think masks go away by the end of summer. Why? Because I think people will simply stop wearing them. I'm not making a judgment on whether that's right or wrong. But when we have hundreds of millions of doses of vaccine out there, people are just going to say, "I'm going back to normal," whether governmental authorities want them to or not.

At least outdoors. When people can be away from each other while at a park, heck just out walking, they aren't going to wear them.

JoeCamel

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that and cases drop enough that governments are happy to remove mask mandates.

The only issue is private businesses will still have the right to require masks if they choose. I’m not sure how a place like WDW would react, but right now they are going beyond what’s mandated by the government. I suppose if enough people avoid businesses that still require masks that capitalism could take over and force a change. Once Disney has had a chance to vaccinate their staff it seems much less likely they keep masks around.
Remember the government (Orange County) says yes to masks while the state says "do what you want".
Hopefully medicos and lawyers will have the final say.

GimpYancIent

At least outdoors. When people can be away from each other while at a park, heck just out walking, they aren't going to wear them.
Agree w the outdoors need for constant mask wearing being relaxed, Hey! got to enjoy the popcorn on the go and periodic hydration. That said, to enter into an indoor or limited space area definitely need to keep the mask requirement in place. Also Disney is making a killing on mask sales.

dreday3

Agree w the outdoors need for constant mask wearing being relaxed, Hey! got to enjoy the popcorn on the go and periodic hydration. That said, to enter into an indoor or limited space area definitely need to keep the mask requirement in place. Also Disney is making a killing on mask sales.

I mean just in general, not Disney, but it applies! Although at Disney you have to follow their rules or be kicked out!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney would probably rather sell hotel rooms and food and merchandise and park tickets to the people who won’t go while masks are required too. No way to know for sure, but I imagine the money from that group far exceeds the lost mask sales revenue. For Disney as a business the best thing would be a return to sometjing closer to normal.

Patcheslee

We've already been told by my employer masks will be required until the CDC no longer recommends them. It may partially be because we have government contracts as well. I just want to be able to eat a hot lunch again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We've already been told by my employer masks will be required until the CDC no longer recommends them. It may partially be because we have government contracts as well. I just want to be able to eat a hot lunch again.
I think that’s how Disney will likely play it too. With the CDC I think they will revise the guidelines as the situation permits. I don’t see politicians or public health officials wanting this to drag on any longer than needed. Everyone wants to move on and also take credit for bringing the pandemic to an end. I’m sure in the coming months some people will favor removing restrictions faster, but we can’t put the cart before the horse. Once the vaccine rollout is mostly complete we should have a much better idea when things will go back to normal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
2.1M doses on a Saturday. Probably some make up shots from the snowstorm earlier in the week, but good progress either way. 7 day daily average up over 1.4M. Percent used up to 68% now too. I’m hoping to see us get close to 3M a day by March 1 if the production keeps ramping up.

JAKECOTCenter

Good to see an actual ramping up of the vaccinations. I'll say this only once, but I'm relieved that Biden is putting competent people in charge of the response. If we keep doing 2-3 million a day, this pandemic will end before the 50th hopefully...

Darkprime

2.1M doses on a Saturday. Probably some make up shots from the snowstorm earlier in the week, but good progress either way. 7 day daily average up over 1.4M. Percent used up to 68% now too. I’m hoping to see us get close to 3M a day by March 1 if the production keeps ramping up.

A number of those would have been second doses as well no?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A number of those would have been second doses as well no?
Yes, that’s total shots done either first or second. Keep in mind a month ago there were only about 400K people a day going so in theory 1.7M first doses and 400K second doses. Not exact numbers obviously, but ballpark.

Darkprime

Yes, that’s total shots done either first or second. Keep in mind a month ago there were only about 400K people a day going so in theory 1.7M first doses and 400K second doses. Not exact numbers obviously, but ballpark.

Not gonna lie i'm slightly jealous of those people haha. Must be nice being fully vaccinated not having to worry about COVID anymore.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
More details on the AstraZeneca vaccine trial in South Africa. The study referenced is a small early phase trial with only 2,000 participants and it showed reduced efficacy vs the S African variant, not no protection at all. The trial was inconclusive as to the impact on severe infection since none of the participants were hospitalized or died in either the vaccine group or the placebo group.

Disney Experience

Not gonna lie i'm slightly jealous of those people haha. Must be nice being fully vaccinated not having to worry about COVID anymore.
Some of us have been fully vaccinated since September, and yes it is nice. I trried to convince people back then to join the trials. Most said they rather wait, some were interested.

it will be nicer when enough people are vaccinated that masks become optionsl.

Last edited:

correcaminos

To comment further, I am happy I am vaccinated. Yes, I worry way less about me. I have my two friends (a married couple) who I went to the wake via zoom on Thursday and another in my friend group who is sick with covid and I'm helping with. My MIL just got both, my FIL and dad one shot only. My spouse and teen who knows, not to mention siblings. There is still a lot I worry for until we can vaccinate most. Nothing to be sad over, but I never did the trial just for me anyway. We have a way to go.

Some of us have been fully vaccinated since September, and yes it is nice. I trued to convince people back then to join the trials. Most said they rather wait, some were interested.

it will be nicer when enough people are vaccinated that masks become optionsl.
Let's be real too, not all who signed up were chosen. Not all could have taken the time off either as some of those visits were many hours. I know a few who did sign up who were never picked. There is some luck to having been able to and chosen. Though in my case probably less than some lol

It will be nicer when more are vaccinated

MaryJaneP

What if you joined the trial and were given the placebo? Are you told at the end that you were not vaccinated with the real article? And what about those who were variably dosed (doses other than the current dosing schedule and amount)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom