Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Still looking at 2022 before returning to the office.
Although, now I'm seeing Cuomo may bring back indoor dining on Valentine's Day (because, you know, that's a pretty quiet day...). I still hold true to my company's office return plan but I'm shocked that this is happening.

Of course, NJ is expanding capacity for the Super Bowl festivities. Love you NJ but I'd like you to start surprising me. (My mom's from Perth Amboy so I'm allowed to critique, ok?).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Since mask wearing etc. keeps being brought up (Both in "beating a dead horse", or the opposite that no one is looking at it). I am sure many over the thousands of pages here have pointed to various articles on the subject.
For those who have not had the time to read all the pages, here is a very recent, nice narrative review on face masks published by The National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.

You might say it is a Cliff's note on the subject.

Myself I do not care if it is as effective or less effective than the general scientific consensus. I been wearing one when not alone or when I am not with fully vaccinated people indoors. Outdoors I wear it when people are in proximity. I do not like wearing masks, but honestly the inconvenience of mask wearing is only temporary.

I will wait till the numbers of cases declines and mask wearing is optional before not wearing a mask in the appropriate circumstances. (Even if the mask are or are not effective)[The evidence in my opinion is that masks are effective for the unvaccinated, and we do not have the research done to know how much mitigation it is for the vaccinated [So I generally will err on the side of mitigation].

Now if you want a meta study that factors in mask wearing through last summer. A January 2021 lancet study can be found here (Has pretty graphs too).[But correlation is not necessarily causation]. The percent of the population that wear masks is lower than I thought (But that was the summer, not now)

But... but.... but, mosquitoes! chain link fence! ;)

DisneyDebRob

Saw this on the news tonight so I went to find it on Twitter. The owner was interviewed on the news with him telling the reporters that mask don’t work.. anyone is allowed in his store without a mask.. and.. no one can tell me that 400,000 thousand people died and nobody can convince him of those lies. And we still sit here and wonder why we can’t get things better quicker.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Saw this on the news tonight so I went to find it on Twitter. The owner was interviewed on the news with him telling the reporters that mask don’t work.. anyone is allowed in his store without a mask.. and.. no one can tell me that 400,000 thousand people died and nobody can convince him of those lies. And we still sit here and wonder why we can’t get things better quicker.

At least he didn't get bogged down in the "those deaths weren't really covid deaths" argument and just jumped right to, "those deaths didn't really happen". ;)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Vaccine status for the country via Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker -

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 7.51.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 7.52.34 PM.png

Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker

correcaminos

Tuesday was the first day since Jan 20 that we didn’t hit 1M injections and even with a major storm only just slightly below it.
All things considering that was still pretty good! We had teacher vaccinations this week. A snow day yesterday even and still a friend who is a pharmacist was out there first thing. Amazingly so many teacher friends showed up.

My husband showed this to me. So disgusting. Apparently the sign on the door explains the type of person the owner is.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"A UK trial has been launched to see if giving people different Covid vaccines for their first and second doses works as well as the current approach of using the same type of vaccine twice.

The idea is to provide more flexibility with vaccine rollout and help deal with any potential disruption to supplies.

Scientists say mixing jabs could also possibly give even better protection.

The vaccines minister said no changes would be made to the UK's current approach until at least the summer."

"The study will be recruiting people aged 50 or older, who have not yet received a Covid vaccine, in London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham, Bristol, Oxford and Southampton."

Kevin_W

Hopefully, we hit 2 million shots a day soon. With the supply increasing by another 5 percent it'll be close soon

I think they are only shipping 10.5-11.5 million per week, so at that rate we should plateau at 1.5-1.6 million per day. Much like our complaints a year ago about testing, it started slow but in the big picture, ramped up pretty quickly and is a pretty impressive effort.

seascape

Johnson and Johnson should increase the number significantly and their vaccine only requires 1 dose. They are however doing an investigation into a second dose. It will be interesting to see how much that improves the efficacy since Moderna and Pfizer are at about 50% after the first shot and Johnson and Johnson was at 62% plus.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The manufacturers will be ramping up production too. They aren’t stopping at 10 or 11M doses a week. If they do then it’s a major failure to deliver on promises and they will need to publicly disclose that sooner than later. Both companies said they expect to reach Q1 targets and Pfizer even increased their target to 110M doses. To date Pfizer and Moderna have delivered 56M doses of the 210M they are projecting by the end of March. That’s 154M still to come and 8 weeks left in Q1. That’s an average of 19.25M doses a week. Since they won’t ramp up immediately from 11M to 19M in a week I would expect March to be in the 20 to 25M doses a week range. Then if you add in JnJ in March some time that’s likely another 8 to 10M a week coming in and that’s single dose. The point is we should in theory be fully vaccinating about 4X as many people a week by the end of March if all manufacturers hit their targets.

Kevin_W

My teeth are itching that governors are talking directly to the manufacturers. Hopefully this was a group call to all governors to inform them and not one governor getting them on the phone to beg for more.

My impression from the press conference is that this came form Pfizer/Moderna telling the federal government that they were delivering more doses and then the feds relaying that to the states.

For Ohio, even the rate that they are shipping next week tat would be less than 90 days to vaccinate the entire adult population of the state. Not bad.

Disney Experience

Disney Experience

Some evidence that vaccines(AstraZeneca in this case) inhibit transmission [Not to be confused with vaccine protecting people from symptomatic covid. Papers and articles cover both subjects. ].

Lancet:
A further important question is whether vaccines can provide impact against transmission, and therefore combined with physical distancing measures contribute to reductions in human to human transmission of the virus. While transmission studies per se were not included in the analysis, swabs were obtained from volunteers every week in the UK study, regardless of symptoms, to allow assessment of the overall impact of the vaccine on risk of infection and thus a surrogate for potential onward transmission. If there was no impact of a vaccine on asymptomatic infection, it would be expected that an efficacious vaccine would simply convert severe cases to mild cases and mild cases to asymptomatic, with overall PCR positivity unchanged. A measure of overall PCR positivity is appropriate to assess whether there is a reduction in the burden of infection. Analyses presented here show that a single standard dose of the vaccine reduced PCR positivity by 67%, and that, after the second dose, the SD/SD schedule reduced PCR positivity by 49.5% overall. These data indicate that ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, used in the authorised schedules, may have a substantial impact on transmission by reducing the number of infected individuals in the population

AP:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom