Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatesMom

I wish I knew people. I just made it a goal to get loved ones signed up. No tricks for me in getting nor info above the masses. I found out when others did. We were all fighting for the same slots at the same time. I'm really just that persistent. I spent hours also doing my MIL in FL 3 weeks ago. She's getting her 2nd shot hopefully Friday. Not all have people like me who spend hours looking. That's rather unfair to them and I wish we could all help out.

Though maybe my 5G enhancement from being in the trial helped me load faster lol

I do think for this time of the year in the midwest, I prefer appointment stress. When we had to do the H1N1 in 2009 that was an even bigger mess. Toting a toddler under 2 as well.
I've been searching high and low for appointment-based vaccine opportunities for my 75 and 80 year old parents in South Texas. No luck. So far, their town has held a few first-come-first-served vaccination clinics at the fairgrounds, but those have been a mess of free-for-all participation, limited vaccine supply, getting in line for a shot at 3:30 am only to be sent home empty handed (or empty armed, as it were), and no promise of available second shots. So we keep waiting and watching.

Touchdown

My mom got her first shot yesterday, I saw on the local news last week how a heathcare provider in Green Bay (20 min away) had teamed up with UWGB to open the largest vaccination site in the state, where they planned to welcome any WI resident, and would schedule through their Epic MyChart portal.

I knew right then and there, this was my moms best chance as the “rate limiting step” was signing up for that MyChart app, I told her to do that immediately. She did and got all set up. 3 hours later our Governor announced >65 could get shots starting Monday. For the next 2 hours my mother kept obsessively resetting (like she had seen me do back in March for RotR) the app when it finally updated and she got her 8:50 am slot on Monday.

She’s already scheduled to return in 3 weeks to finish the Pfizer vaccine. She got in first not because of dirty tricks, but because I watched the local news and she was tech savvy enough to download an app and use it.

Heppenheimer

Meanwhile the official Disney parks Blog wants us to Celebrate "National Plan for a Vacation Day"

Isn't that cute. I noticed one elephant in the room not mentioned that begins with a "C" and ends with a "OVID-19"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Meanwhile the official Disney parks Blog wants us to Celebrate "National Plan for a Vacation Day"

Isn't that cute. I noticed one elephant in the room not mentioned that begins with a "C" and ends with a "OVID-19"

...I’d be happy to “plan”....would disney like to outline what they will be doing when I get there?

No?...might want to stay off their blog then

dreday3

Well, we are planning one for October, so I don't think this is doing any harm... 🤔

I mean, they are still a business that needs customers...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, we are planning one for October, so I don't think this is doing any harm... 🤔

I mean, they are still a business that needs customers...

...it’s been their tact for several
Months now...”planning is fun!”

That’s fine. But they did freeze all their management systems...and changed their ticketing.

So just a “few” questions that need an answer

Animal_Kingdom_09

...you didn’t actually read that did you??

Thank god ship dry dock times will be minimal 🙄

Yes, I did. Your comment, regarding Biden's use of the Defense Production Act, was "about... damn time". as if the previous administration had not used it. I grabbed a recent example of the DPA being used by the Trump administration in response to your comment.

Perhaps a better link would be this one, from the GAO:

Click the Highlights tab

While I am not a fan of Biden, I don't think that Trump walks on water either, and there is plenty of fault that can be dumped on him. But somebody in his administration did use the DPA to increase production of supplies.

Unfortunately, what we have now is a straight-up supply imbalance, and that is only going to be fixed with time. Reasonable people can disagree with the current vaccine distribution plan of pushing it to the states, since some states will perform better than others. But a federal distribution plan using the military would not be able to do any better than a well run state/county, since they would have no control over the supply.

Maybe Biden should use the DPA to appropriate all of the vaccines that are earmarked for Europe and Canada and practice an America first policy! ( that is sarcasm, by the way.)

JoeCamel

What means to ramp up production were available and not used? Are there vaccine factories sitting idle or brewing craft beer? Why didn't any other country do something to produce more if this capability is just sitting there?

The "situation" is that there aren't enough doses of vaccine being produced fast enough. The DPA can't really help that. We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this "complaint" is about a vaccine that was made available in record time.
The DPA could have helped produce vaccine, it had Ford shamed into making unneeded ventilators. We can set up labs.
We have the capability to set up production facilities if the incentive is there but the "plan" was to funnel boatloads of our money to private pharma and hope they can deliver what they say they will. No control except final approval.
As we have seen a promise to deliver can and does change overnight into "oh, sorry you only get half, our bad"

You are correct that the problem is production is far behind demand. It will get better but a blind man could see production needed to be all in and not "do the best you can".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

My vacation planning involves a blanket fort and oreos.

correcaminos

I've been searching high and low for appointment-based vaccine opportunities for my 75 and 80 year old parents in South Texas. No luck. So far, their town has held a few first-come-first-served vaccination clinics at the fairgrounds, but those have been a mess of free-for-all participation, limited vaccine supply, getting in line for a shot at 3:30 am only to be sent home empty handed (or empty armed, as it were), and no promise of available second shots. So we keep waiting and watching.
I feel for you. That's what we went through with the H1N1 shot for my kid at first. I hope things get better and you find a clinic soon!

Chip Chipperson

I just finished booking an August trip with DVC points. It’s still fun to anticipate even with the uncertainty. Just waiting on Southwest to open the flight schedule since I’m sitting on credits from them.

I've got a December DVC trip planned and will be looking at a Spring trip once my wife and I are vaccinated (our first Moderna dose is scheduled for a little under a month from now, so hopefully a trip is possible sometime in mid-to-late April if we're able to get the 2nd dose on schedule so we can go after Easter but before colleges and some schools get out for the summer). I know masks will be required and experiences will be limited, but we've still got our APs that don't expire until early-May and we really are just looking forward to getting away for a few days. We'll go to the parks, but they won't be the focal point of the trip the way they normally are for us.

correcaminos

My parents just got their first shots this morning. I guess they are officially "vaccine tourists" since they went one county over from where they live to get the shot a month earlier than their home county was scheduling.
Many in our county had to do the same. Then again I'm in the county with the largest population and regularly drive up or down a county anyway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A few quick vaccine updates. JnJ had their earnings call today and they said they will have data from their phase 3 trial early next week. That includes the required 2 months of safety data on at least 50% of vaccine recipients. If the data looks positive it would take roughly 2 to 3 weeks to get EUA. The CFO also confirmed that they are on track to meet the target of delivering the 100M doses the US government purchased by the end of June and likely sooner. One other interesting point is their trial covers multiple countries so they have sites in Brazil and S Africa so they will have real time data on how the vaccine combats some of the new variants. I don’t know if that means the efficacy will be lower because of that. I guess we’ll find out next week.

On the Moderna front they confirmed they are on track to deliver the 100 million doses ordered by the end of March and ultimately 200 million total doses by the end of June. Always good to hear they still feel confident they hit their targets.

edit: rather than make another post adding this here.
On the Pfizer front the company is now saying they will deliver 120M doses in Q1 and the full 200M doses 2 months earlier than initially projected so end of May instead of end of July.

Assuming there are not manufacturing setbacks and also assuming JnJ gets approved it’s looking good to have enough doses for 300M Americans (90% of the population) by the end of June.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

The DPA could have helped produce vaccine, it had Ford shamed into making unneeded ventilators. We can set up labs.
We have the capability to set up production facilities if the incentive is there but the "plan" was to funnel boatloads of our money to private pharma and hope they can deliver what they say they will. No control except final approval.
As we have seen a promise to deliver can and does change overnight into "oh, sorry you only get half, our bad"

You are correct that the problem is production is far behind demand. It will get better but a blind man could see production needed to be all in and not "do the best you can".
I'm going to read the DPA tonight or tomorrow morning when I have time so I can ensure accuracy but I'm pretty sure, based on a quick skim, that it does not have the power do do nearly as much as you believe.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A few quick vaccine updates. JnJ had their earnings call today and they said they will have data from their phase 3 trial early next week. That includes the required 2 months of safety data on at least 50% of vaccine recipients. If the data looks positive it would take roughly 2 to 3 weeks to get EUA. The CFO also confirmed that they are on track to meet the target of delivering the 100M doses the US government purchased by the end of June and likely sooner. One other interesting point is their trial covers multiple countries so they have sites in Brazil and S Africa so they will have real time data on how the vaccine combats some of the new variants. I don’t know if that means the efficacy will be lower because of that. I guess we’ll find out next week.

On the Moderna front they confirmed they are on track to deliver the 100 million doses ordered by the end of March and ultimately 200 million total doses by the end of June. Always good to hear they still feel confident they hit their targets.

Good news from J&J and Regeneron on the covid front...

Not so much from Merck...

But as meatloaf told me: “two outta three ain’t bad”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good news from J&J and Regeneron on the covid front...

Not so much from Merck...

But as meatloaf told me: “two outta three ain’t bad”
Yeah, Merck is one of the biggest players in vaccines. Would have been nice to have their manufacturing experience on board but you can’t win em all. Good news from Pfizer and Moderna so far too in that they aren’t seeing any major delays in manufacturing or deliveries. 🤞 🤞 🤞

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom