Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Quick vaccine question for those with the knowledge. The morning that she got her first shot my mom took Tylenol. Since then, she was told not to take OTC pain relievers prior to the vaccine because it can reduce the effectiveness. I searched and found the CDC doesn't recommend taking them before the shot since it hasn't been studied.

Does anybody have an educated opinion about how much concern she should have that she did this before the first shot? Obviously, she will not do it before getting the second shot.
Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory, so it should be OK. The advice not to pre-load with OTC pain medications is specifically for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen and naproxen. This advice is based on some evidence (not the strongest evidence, admittedly) in other vaccines that pre-loading may lower the effectiveness of the vaccine.

This question has not specifically been studied yet in the existing COVID-19 vaccinations, as far as I know.

Disney Experience

Quick vaccine question for those with the knowledge. The morning that she got her first shot my mom took Tylenol. Since then, she was told not to take OTC pain relievers prior to the vaccine because it can reduce the effectiveness. I searched and found the CDC doesn't recommend taking them before the shot since it hasn't been studied.

Does anybody have an educated opinion about how much concern she should have that she did this before the first shot? Obviously, she will not do it before getting the second shot.

15. Should I plan to take Tylenol or Motrin before my vaccine dose? If you regularly take aspirin, acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) and ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin, Advil) for other medical conditions, please continue to do so as directed by your physician or as needed. Otherwise, do not pre-medicate. In general, pre-medicating with over-the-counter medications that reduce fever or inflammation such as acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) and ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin, Advil) before receiving a vaccine may reduce its ability to work and can blunt your immune response to the vaccine. The time to take these over-the-counter medications is if you have symptoms that make you uncomfortable after vaccination. If you are uncomfortable, don’t hesitate to take an over-the-counter medication to help you feel better. If you usually take these medications for other medical reasons, continue to take them per your normal routine.

Disney Experience

Whether the vaccinated can be asymptomatic carriers of the virus is not fully known but the initial data from Moderna when they applied for EUA does look good (But only covered the period between first and second shots). In regards to Pfizer, they will be able to determine whether subjects got asymptomatic infections by comparing the baseline serostatus with the serostatus they get over time from trial participants.

Moderna:

Our protocol-specified analysis on the efficacy against asymptomatic infection was not available at the time of the EUA submission. However, we did collect pre-dose 1 and pre-dose 2 nasopharyngeal swabs for SARS-CoV-2 virus and have performed a descriptive summary comparing the number of positive swabs at the pre-dose 2 timepoint in baseline seronegative participants to get an early idea on the possibility of prevention of asymptomatic infection. Amongst baseline negative participants, 14 in the vaccine group and 38 in the placebo group had evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection at the second dose without evidence of COVID-19 symptoms. There were approximately 2/3 fewer swabs that were positive in the vaccine group as compared to the placebo group at the pre-dose 2 timepoint, suggesting that some asymptomatic infections start to be prevented after the first dose.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
This is only an observational study of one, but a nurse I work with, who takes two different immunosuppressive medications for rheumatoid arthritis, received her 1st and 2nd doses of the Pfizer vaccine on the same days as me. While I definitely felt mildly ill they day after the second dose, she felt nothing beyond some arm soreness.

As far as I know, immunosuppression of any kind is not a contra-indication to these vaccines, particularly the kind of selective immunosuppression targeted by rheumatology medications.

Correct. It’s not a contraindication. Just a warning in the EUA. And the warning is due to lack of info on efficacy- not a safety concern. Immunocompromised people were excluded from the studies. If we were included they might have not gotten that sweet 95% efficacy rate.

I should be able to double your study size in a couple days. 🤞🏻for some side effects.

Disney Experience

People here have been talking about how fast we have gotten a vaccine. The following article describes some of the history and the future of vaccines for various medical conditions resulting from the maturation of techniques used in getting Covid vaccines.

Stitch826

Not sure if this question/topic has been addressed in this forum, but here it is...

We all know people that will refuse to get the vaccine. With that in mind, why doesn’t the U.S. government tie the next stimulus check (rumored to be $1400 per person) to getting the vaccination? Unless a person submits a legitimate medical excuse for not being able to take the vaccine (allergic, etc), they would not receive the check. Religious exemptions would not count.

This vaccine incentive to the stimulus check would make sense. It would hasten a return to normalcy and thus strengthen the economy.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Not sure if this question/topic has been addressed in this forum, but here it is...

We all know people that will refuse to get the vaccine. With that in mind, why doesn’t the U.S. government tie the next stimulus check (rumored to be $1400 per person) to getting the vaccination? Unless a person submits a legitimate medical excuse for not being able to take the vaccine (allergic, etc), they would not receive the check. Religious exemptions would not count.

This vaccine incentive to the stimulus check would make sense. It would hasten a return to normalcy and thus strengthen the economy.
Were there enough vaccines to go around and people to dispense them, I can see this working. As it stands right now, neither is the case in many areas of the country and people are still hurting economically. To tell people they could only get the stimulus if they got the complete vaccine (whatever that looks like for the type they take), but knowing there is no way that will even be an option for a large portion of the population would invite anger and resentment, especially from those who are anxious to get vaccinated, imo.

Touchdown

Speaking of vaccines, got my second Moderna shot yesterday at 11am. Within hours my arm was sore much worse then the first time but then faded by the time I went to bed.

At the same time, I began to feel chilled so I put on my thick pjs and went to bed. At 2:30 I woke up with horrible rigors, which if you don’t know, are severe whole body teeth chattering chills. I got up, turned up the thermostat and proceeded to take a long hot shower to resolve them.

As you can guess, I’m awake again and can’t get back to sleep. I’m pretty sure I have a slight fever, simply have no energy and a slight headache which is my typical sick response to more persistent respiratory viruses like the flu (but without any respiratory symptoms.)

I’m really glad I don’t work today because while not impossible it would be a slog. If you can, try to schedule your shot the day before an off day.

And for those who are wondering, no I do not regret getting the vaccine because feeling like this for a day or two is most definitely worth it to be protected from Covid and begin to live a little more normally in 13 days.

😷🥶🤒😐😎 (Imagine a mask on sunglasses guy)

Patcheslee

It would seem like a good idea in general but then the ones who need the $ the most could be in a position others are not. Ones that need a medical note to waive the vaccine requirement, may not have medical coverage so that will cost $ out of pocket they may not have.
It would be risky

Kevin_W

Speaking of vaccines, got my second Moderna shot yesterday at 11am. Within hours my arm was sore much worse then the first time but then faded by the time I went to bed.

At the same time, I began to feel chilled so I put on my thick pjs and went to bed. At 2:30 I woke up with horrible rigors, which if you don’t know, are severe whole body teeth chattering chills. I got up, turned up the thermostat and proceeded to take a long hot shower to resolve them.

As you can guess, I’m awake again and can’t get back to sleep. I’m pretty sure I have a slight fever, simply have no energy and a slight headache which is my typical sick response to more persistent respiratory viruses like the flu (but without any respiratory symptoms.)

I’m really glad I don’t work today because while not impossible it would be a slog. If you can, try to schedule your shot the day before an off day.

And for those who are wondering, no I do not regret getting the vaccine because feeling like this for a day or two is most definitely worth it to be protected from Covid and begin to live a little more normally in 13 days.

Thanks for the update - hope you start feeling better soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I would agree with this approach. I don’t think they can do it with the $1,400 since that’s already been announced as a plan to be passed in a few days. Maybe add an additional $500 for any who gets vaccinated going forward. I‘d call it the “take yourself out to eat at a nice restaurant once you are immune” plan.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Were there enough vaccines to go around and people to dispense them, I can see this working. As it stands right now, neither is the case in many areas of the country and people are still hurting economically. To tell people they could only get the stimulus if they got the complete vaccine (whatever that looks like for the type they take), but knowing there is no way that will even be an option for a large portion of the population would invite anger and resentment, especially from those who are anxious to get vaccinated, imo.
It will be an option eventually for the whole population. I’d rather have people angry that they can’t get the vaccine soon enough vs apathetic and uninterested in getting it at all. I definitely think the carrot approach would be more effective than the stick. Mandating vaccines or demanding proof to do things is going to meet way more resistance than offering cash for vaccinations.

sullyinMT

Reports like yours, and watching me snooze in the recliner for the better part of a day, caused my wife to reschedule her second dose to line up with a couple days off afterward. I know there were a couple sources mentioning this, but at least out here it hasn’t been widely touted as recommended scheduling.

Thanks for your update! Hope today goes a little better for you.

sullyinMT

It will be an option eventually for the whole population. I’d rather have people angry that they can’t get the vaccine soon enough vs apathetic and uninterested in getting it at all. I definitely think the carrot approach would be more effective than the stick. Mandating vaccines or demanding proof to do things is going to meet way more resistance than offering cash for vaccinations.
I like your idea of a stimulus “plus up.” I agree that it would be the best way to get some of the hesitant to schedule sooner rather than later, especially if we get two more options in the pipeline soon.

We’re fortunate enough to not need it, but I do wonder your thought on making any such program retroactive. Especially with the older or very sick folks in long term care that received it already. They may be on fixed income and could use a few extra dollars.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I like your idea of a stimulus “plus up.” I agree that it would be the best way to get some of the hesitant to schedule sooner rather than later, especially if we get two more options in the pipeline soon.

We’re fortunate enough to not need it, but I do wonder your thought on making any such program retroactive. Especially with the older or very sick folks in long term care that received it already. They may be on fixed income and could use a few extra dollars.
I think it would have to be retroactive. The only thing I don’t know is if they have everyone’s social security number and tax information from the vaccinations.

Animal_Kingdom_09

This is only an observational study of one, but a nurse I work with, who takes two different immunosuppressive medications for rheumatoid arthritis, received her 1st and 2nd doses of the Pfizer vaccine on the same days as me. While I definitely felt mildly ill they day after the second dose, she felt nothing beyond some arm soreness.

As far as I know, immunosuppression of any kind is not a contra-indication to these vaccines, particularly the kind of selective immunosuppression targeted by rheumatology medications.

To add to your study, my mother (age 79) takes meloxicam daily for rheumatoid arthritis. She had no side effects other than a little soreness at the injection site after her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Her second dose is on the 27th - it will be interesting to see how she handles that one.

Kevin_W

654,013 people 65 and over have received at least one dose (approximately 14.5% of that population).

That's pretty good. My state has only 9% of the 80+ population with the first shot and 5% of the >60 population (they don't break out by >65).

Though I think Florida started last week with phase 1B (non-first responder/healthcare/LTC) whereas we're just starting today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom