Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt9112

What's crazy is here in Ontario tomorrow they are planning on implementing curfew and only essential businesses will be open. All takeout and curbside will most likely be closed. Then I look at what's happening with the neighbors to the south and it's down right sad.

A curfew like that would be economic suicide for workers like myself. I am tightly intertwined with the restuarant business and as you can imagine....the restaurant owners and employees gwt alot of of focus but theres entire industrys built around supporting that too.

matt9112

The loss of good, experienced, and proven CMs/Imagineers has resulted in a Disney that has forgotten how to Disney. If money is so tight (and we're considering people to be nothing more than assets), it would be better for Disney to sell off IP and property than lay off the people who have all helped make Disney what we love(d) about the parks in the first place.
They didn't care about the loss of talent WAYYYY before covid though....otherwise i might agree with you.

_caleb

They didn't care about the loss of talent WAYYYY before covid though....otherwise i might agree with you.
I agree- in some ways, the "retain institutional philosophy and knowledge" ship sailed a long time ago. But to get back to a place where Disney creates magic (instead of buying it or reproducing cheap knockoffs), they've got to start somewhere. In my opinion, step one is investing in/taking care of their people.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know vaccine roll out has been slow and disappointing to some extent, but we just passed 10M vaccinated and are a hair under 30M doses distributed. Based on the talked about ramp up and expansion of the pool of eligible recipients it’s conceivable we get all 30M doses in someone‘s arm before the end of Jan and maybe more with millions of those people also having received both doses. 10% of the population vaccinated by the end of Jan would be a decent recovery.

We can get to a pace that uses up most of the 200M doses we expect to receive by the end of March and could have 100M people vaccinated which is 30% of the population or 40% of all adults. That doesn‘t include the potential ramp up of JnJ if that gets approved. Without the logistical challenges of cold storage and 2 shots they could quickly burn through the 100M doses we have on order from them and get to 200M fully vaccinated which is 60% of the population or 80% of adults by some time in April. It’s expected that Pfizer and Moderna will get full approval in April and may also be approved for kids as young as 12. Assuming 75% of Americans end up getting the vaccine we would only have 50M addition jabs to go at that point and most would be kids and adults who wanted to wait. It’s still conceivable we are mostly done by June.

willtravel

Good data to have. the follow-up would be: do they have a plan for those that are not scheduled?

Ohio's governor said yesterday that 85% of LTC facilities in the state had received their first visit. That's a pretty good number, but also didn't go into detail about the plan for the other 15%.
Was anything mentioned on how many refused the vaccine including employees?

Heppenheimer

Tip... take off the day after you receive the second dose, if possible.

I woke up this morning with a rather sore shoulder, but otherwise felt OK. I tried to go skiing, but then the reaction started to hit me after about two hours on the slopes. Felt weak, a little dizzy, chills, and overall, that sensation like you're about to get sick. It isn't too bad, but I would be in trouble if I was working today.

This is easily the worst I've felt after a vaccination.

Chi84

Premium Member
A couple weeks ago, he said that 60% of staff were refusing vaccines. They have been working on education to that regard and hopefully the number goes down. I do not know the % or residents.
In Illinois, there's talk of making the vaccines mandatory for workers in long term care facilities. From what I understand, it's not the skilled personnel who are refusing. Probably easier said than done, though.

JoeCamel

In Illinois, there's talk of making the vaccines mandatory for workers in long term care facilities. From what I understand, it's not the skilled personnel who are refusing. Probably easier said than done, though.
Rock and a hard place, it is hard to get staff for homes around here, the industry pay is low and the need is huge and growing. They need these people and cannot afford to lose them

correcaminos

Except they specifically say that this isn't the UK or South African mutation. This one is US-specific, but has similarities to those.

We know the virus has been mutating since the beginning; hopefully it's just making more news now after the UK variant caused huge spikes.
To me this what you said... it has been mutating and just making news. At least to me. This is normal for coronavirus and the hope with mutations is it makes itself weaker in the end. I get why some worry I just know this all to be the norm. I was speaking generically for any strands found. We've been lousy at checking for them I think.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Rock and a hard place, it is hard to get staff for homes around here, the industry pay is low and the need is huge and growing. They need these people and cannot afford to lose them
That's a problem, but the issue is that the people living in those facilities are pretty much helpless - for the most part their families are not able to provide the full-time level of skilled care they require. Allowing unvaccinated workers to care for them seems irresponsible, if not heartless. Hopefully, education and persuasion will convince the workers who are holding out. I agree that the problem exists and may not be easily solved.

Kevin_W

Tip... take off the day after you receive the second dose, if possible.

I woke up this morning with a rather sore shoulder, but otherwise felt OK. I tried to go skiing, but then the reaction started to hit me after about two hours on the slopes. Felt weak, a little dizzy, chills, and overall, that sensation like you're about to get sick. It isn't too bad, but I would be in trouble if I was working today.

This is easily the worst I've felt after a vaccination.
Hope you feel better tomorrow!

My friend that got the 2nd Pfizer shot last week started feeling cruddy within 6-8 hrs of the 2nd shot. Pretty much back to normal by 30 hours.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looks like the JnJ vaccine which hasn’t even been approved yet is facing manufacturing delays that have set it back 2 months and doses aren’t expected now until end of April. They still expect to have full results for the phase 3 trial in a few weeks, but even if they get EUA in Feb it won’t help us speed the vaccine process until Q2 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom