Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Yes absolutely correct, but I was hoping my post is one of many many many more that others on the fence may read and hopefully alleviate some fear. I encourage anyone who has received the vaccine to post their experiences, whether positive or negative in an effort to educate and come together as one.

Good idea. The more people can see that it isn't dangerous and the reactions aren't that bad, the more will be willing to take the vaccine.

I don't have personal experience but my wife got the first shot of Moderna two weeks ago. From the first shot she experienced soreness that she said was the same as she gets from a tetanus shot, slightly worse than she gets from the flu shot. It lasted about two days.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the vaccine front: Moderna CEO at an event where he was speaking last week said that the antibodies generated by the vaccine decay very slowly and that based on the data analyzed so far he believes the immunity could last up to 2 years or longer. He also went on to say that Moderna should soon establish that their vaccine is highly effective against variants of the coronavirus that have been found in the U.K. and South Africa. I know some people were concerned with how long immunity would last and whether the vaccines would be effective against the new variants. It seems those are less likely to be big problems. Good news.

TrainsOfDisney

Is there no standing? No more "here let me put my butt in your face while I park my stroller on your feet? Meet my three sons, they are triplets and three yo so first visit. Just look how excited they are!"?
And one of the sons grabs on to my leg, I look at the parent annoyed and they say “why are you at Disney if you don’t like kids!?” - not that that’s ever happened to me of course.

Disney Experience

The above article answers a lot of the questions that the general public may ask about Pfizer's vaccine.

The following article is about vaccine and the possibility of Bells Palsy from almost a month ago [Before many people were vaccinated under EUA]

In Phase 3 clinical trials from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, a handful of patients developed the condition. Four patients in the vaccine arm of the Pfizer-BioNTech trial developed Bell’s palsy and none in the placebo group. Three patients in the Moderna trial’s vaccine arm developed the condition, and one in the placebo arm.
But some degree of Bell’s palsy would be expected in a large clinical trial, according to UBS. The background rate of the condition in the general population is 25 to 35 per 100,000 people, which would imply eight to 12 cases across the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna trials, which involved approximately 44,000 and 30,000 participants, respectively. There were a total of eight Bell’s palsy cases across both trials.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

I am glad Disney is contributing in this way to the community that it's parks reside in. I think it will bring warm feelings toward the company and its parks. Which is good for Disney. Plus the more people are vaccinated, the better for Disney Parks outlook. [Maybe not as good for Disney+, but it will perform great in any case]

Last edited:

Disney Experience

Glad we have Pfizer and Moderna in the USA at this time vs Sinovac. I want all vaccines to do well... But the Phase 3 studies they did just do not have a good number of subjects except in Brazil, and the Brazil efficacy numbers are not impressive ( 50.38% )
In Brazil, where Sinovac’s biggest trial of more than 13,000 people is being conducted, dueling efficacy rates have been publicized. The company’s local trial partner, Butantan Institute, said last week that the vaccine was 78% effective in preventing mild cases of Covid-19 and 100% effective against severe and moderate infections.

Yet on Tuesday, Butantan said the overall rate, which also includes very mild cases that didn’t require medical help, is actually 50.38%.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...our-different-efficacy-rates?srnd=coronavirus

Last edited:

Kevin_W

Glad we have Pfizer and Moderna in the USA at this time vs Sinovac. I want all vaccines to do well... But the Phase 3 studies they did just do not have a good number of subjects except in Brazil, and the Brazil efficacy numbers are not impressive:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...our-different-efficacy-rates?srnd=coronavirus

6 months ago, we would have looked at a 50% reduction with a 100% reduction of severe cases as a Godsend! It doesn't look nearly as good as the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines though, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. If I had a choice, I'd certainly want the Pfizer/Moderna, but something is better than nothing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hope for CA?

ParentsOf4

Hope for CA?
On December 28, I posted a table from the CDC showing that California had the highest infection rate in the country.

Politics - Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion | Page 2476 | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

2 weeks later and California's infection rate is even higher.

CDC 20210112.jpg

If these numbers were being reported for Florida, there would be a bunch of people demanding DeSantis' resignation (or worse).

When I read the article, all I see is a news outlet trying to spin a tragedy.

Let's face it; it's bad in nearly every state. Just some states are really bad. 😢

BrianLo

On December 28, I posted a table from the CDC showing that California had the highest infection rate in the country.

Politics - Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion | Page 2476 | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

View attachment 523824

If these numbers were being reported for Florida, there would be a bunch of people demanding DeSantis' resignation (or worse).

Let's face it; it's bad in nearly every state. Just some states are really bad. 😢

It is all strangely relative, but I do agree there is a lack of consistency. I think though it's all just various shades of very bad.

Vermont is idolized (currently 27.6), but it actually sucks as well.

Ontario (23.9) just entered mandatory stay at home. Quebec (28.8) has curfews. Which puts into context that even the US's best is considered a disaster on the world stage.

BrianLo

One other small factoid to settle some fairly dead-horse debates from the summer.

Sweden's 7-day average death rate has now surpassed their previous Spring peak. Hospitilizations are at an all time high. 2020 GDP decline was worse than neighbours Norway and Denmark. Sweden has reversed its stance and enacted law to allow for government mandated restrictions and lockdowns if required.

Herd Immunity isn't a thing without vaccination (or a very protracted timescale), policy reduces case burden and controlling the pandemic is actually better overall for the economy. Hindsight and all.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

View attachment 523824

I don’t think the article is trying to say the problem is over in CA. They did say cases were down slightly from the previous daily high and hospitalizations were down as well. Taking that as a possible sign that things may have peaked and we could be on the downward side of the curve. There’s no guarantee that’s the case. It’s still early for the NYE bump to be over.

As far as CA vs FL goes, DLR is closed. If it was open you would hear a ton of grumbling over that with cases being that high. CA suffered a terrible second wave and the government did take action to try to mitigate it. We will have no idea what cases would have been had they took the FL approach of do nothing. That’s the point I think everyone misses. Picking 2 states and comparing the current moment tells us next to nothing. A month ago a poster was comparing FL to PA on a daily basis and taking a victory lap over FL looking better, not the case anymore. You have to look at the bigger picture of whether states are doing the best they can for themselves and where cases could be with or without restrictions.

As far as the criticism of FL goes, nobody in their right mind can say FL’s numbers look better than half the other states because of the actions of the governor. If FL had some more basic restrictions (masks, capacity and distancing in restaurants, bars more limited) their numbers would certainly be a lot better. So comparing FL to CA or NJ and playing gotcha isn’t exactly meaningful. We really need to compare FL to what FL could be. There’s no concrete numbers to do that. The flip side is the economy. So the argument is that FL can live with more cases, more hospitalizations and more death because the economy is doing better. That’s a fair discussion. I would caution that the overall economy in FL doesn’t appear to be any healthier than anywhere else though and it’s yet to be seen if there is any long term economic benefit or detriment to the let er rip plan. We won’t know that until years later when the full data on both public health and economy can be analyzed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One other small factoid to settle some fairly dead-horse debates from the summer.

Sweden's 7-day average death rate has now surpassed their previous Spring peak. Hospitilizations are at an all time high. 2020 GDP decline was worse than neighbours Norway and Denmark. Sweden has reversed its stance and enacted law to allow for government mandated restrictions and lockdowns if required.

Herd Immunity isn't a thing without vaccination (or a very protracted timescale), policy reduces case burden and controlling the pandemic is actually better overall for the economy. Hindsight and all.
Another example of why taking a snapshot in time is not always wise. Earlier this fall the crowd pushing the Sweden plan were bragging about how their cases and death numbers were looking so much better than the rest of Europe and that it was due to their great approach. Someone here even posted that the pandemic was probably over there. Lack of government action is never going to reduce cases or deaths. The only debate is whether the economic impact of those restrictions is worth the public health benefits. It’s a futile effort to try to find examples where not having restrictions actually leads to better results. The science of how a respiratory virus spreads tells us that less interaction will always reduce spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom