Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The public can’t ride any attractions at Disneyland, which has stood closed for nearly a year. But starting this week, the California theme park will open up as a super COVID-19 distribution site where thousands of people will get the vaccine daily.

Could Disney World be named a giant vaccine site, too?

Like hospitals across the state, Disney World has the capacity to store the vaccine with an ultra-cold freezer, said state emergency director Jared Moskowitz during a virtual town hall with state Rep Anna Eskamani, D-Orlando, last week.

“We have no ultra-cold freezer storage problems here in the state. There are plenty of hospitals with them. County health departments have them. Some universities have them. Disney World has one,” Moskowitz said, adding his department bought some, too."

"Disney World and Moskowitz’s office have not responded to questions from the Orlando Sentinel to provide further details or to say if there are plans to make the theme park resort a vaccination site for the general public or its workforce.

Gov. Ron DeSantis alluded to the possibility of Disney World becoming a distribution site as the workforce becomes the next target to vaccinate after senior citizens."

“You literally could drop a bunch of vaccines at Disney, Orange County Schools, wherever,” DeSantis said last week during a news conference in Longwood. “And they can knock that out pretty quickly. And it’s one dose and done. So I think that makes more sense with essential workers.”

Update -

Patcheslee

Lucas Oil Stadium, whatever the current name is of the Pacers arena and some college arenas in the area from what I remember.
We're only an hour south, at least they didn't plan to use our high school I guess. Traffic is gonna be a mess up there, most hotels are already full
"Games will be played on two courts inside Lucas Oil Stadium, as well as Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indiana Farmers Coliseum, Mackey Arena in West Lafayette and Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington. Only one game at a time will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium. Teams will practice at the Indiana Convention Center with multiple courts set up inside the venue. All teams will be housed on dedicated hotel floors, with physically distanced meeting and dining rooms, as well as secure transportation to and from competition venues"

Disney Experience

Second dose is now in my arm, and by coincidence, a ray of sunshine just peaked through our normally gray Vermont winter sky.
Be interested in how you feel tomorrow (which is when most of us had the minor side? effects of a ( good) immune response ).

I forget did you have Moderna or Pfizer?

One week post second shot is when they feel max immunity occurs. ( Not sure how they determine that ( perhaps phase 1 or 2 had daily blood samples after second shot)

Kevin_W

Be interested in how you feel tomorrow (which is when most of us had the minor side? effects of a ( good) immune response ).

One week post second shot is when they feel max immunity occurs. ( Not sure how they determine that ( perhaps phase 1 or 2 had daily blood samples after second shot)

Her (his?) post about the first shot was on 12/22, so that sounds like Pfizer.

I thought I'd read 2 weeks after the 2nd shot was peak immunity, but earlier is better. :)

Heppenheimer

Pfizer.

Wednesday is normally my day off, hence the reason I scheduled the vaccine on a Tuesday. If I'm feeling OK, I plan to go skiing.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 156 new reported deaths, along with 5 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Total cases in Florida have now surpassed 1.5 million, hitting 1,503,482.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 2.20.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 2.20.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 2.20.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 2.20.07 PM.png

Disney Experience

Her (his?) post about the first shot was on 12/22, so that sounds like Pfizer.

I thought I'd read 2 weeks after the 2nd shot was peak immunity, but earlier is better. :)
Might have been 2 weeks. I was knowledgable on what they felt was peak when I got the Pfizer shots in September, but my recollections have faded.

Starting March the August phase 3 participants should have a blood draw and we can start to see if the immune system is still has the same levels. At the same time they will still have enough blinded participants to see statistically if efficacy fades in six months. Hopefully it all stay strong.

Last edited:

sbunit

Just got my first dose of the Moderna Vaccine over the weekend. Aside from a super sore injection site the next day, all else is fine. It was really no different than any other vaccine or flu shot, although this one felt a bit more momentous in nature. I think I see the light intensifying at the end of the tunnel

Disney Experience

Just got my first dose of the Moderna Vaccine over the weekend. Aside from a super sore injection site the next day, all else is fine. It was really no different than any other vaccine or flu shot, although this one felt a bit more momentous in nature. I think I see the light intensifying at the end of the tunnel
The second shot is the one that people the day after often feel the aches, fevers, and chills.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What exactly is taking so long with the vaccinations? Counties constantly were operating drive-through COVID testing sites, testing hundreds or thousands of people per day. But now they don’t have the logistics where they could do the same type of thing to give vaccinations? Or is it a distribution problem? Hopefully Biden makes this priority number one and allocates whatever resources necessary to speed this along so we can have as normal a summer as possible.

Money and logistics...they warned of it for almost a year on the “not fake news”

Testing doesn't require ultra cold storage or thawing. Also, the testing took quite some time to ramp up the current capability.

Biden is sure to do something to make sure to look like he's doing something different than Trump but I'd expect by inauguration day the shots will be given close to the rate of supply. The issue is going to be supply in the medium term.

Yeah...what you said

Disney, just shut the parks for the next 30 days, pay cast members, and reevaluate
Still going to this well, huh?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They could allocate some additional money to state and local governments. Trump was deeply opposed to giving more money to the state and local governments because of his feuds with blue state governors. In this last bill the compromise was the Dems wanted the liability protection stripped out and the Republicans wanted money for state and local governments reduced as well as individual check amounts reduced. It’s not the end all be all solution, but if you want to speed up a process throwing more resources at it will surely help and it will pay for itself since the quicker the economy gets ramped up the less need for future stimulus and relief bills. I’d rather see that then just $2,000 checks. Money is nice but what people want is a quicker return to normal.

That a crazy idea...you should let some governors know!

I don't see NJ as being significantly worse than Florida...

Number of cases per capita: Historically and currently, NJ and Florida are even. That's right, FL caught up to NJ's huge spike because of their consistent high plateau of cases. For about five months, NJ had significantly fewer cases.

View attachment 523462

Number of deaths per capita: NJ has a historically larger number of deaths that came mostly from the initial spike. But FL was hellbent on catching up. As far as the current number of deaths, Florida is doing better at a rate of about .5 persons per 100,000.

View attachment 523463

Much better since the initial skewed numbers. But still challenges. As acknowledged by the State of the State speech today...

It wasn’t on the beach making excuses.

This.

Back in 2019, how many states budgeted for 2020 COVID expenses?

How many states had lower tax revenue in 2020?
How well did states budget for 2021 COVID expenses, including vaccination?

How did the lower 2020 revenue impact the 2021 COVID budgeting and other budget items that need money?

I know my state is using money from the reserve/rainy day fund to pay for things. But that only goes so far.

As has been true since day one, guidance, organization, and funding is needed centrally for actions to be implemented locally. There's only one entity that can simply create money.

Frankly...only the stupids that watch the reality show news programs don’t grasp this...

Last edited:

Kevin_W

But kids will be saying why can’t I go and get a shot from Mickey. ( They could once it is approved for their age group).

If we want to scare people have the abominable snowman swing out with a vaccine syringe in Mount Everest (j/k)

I was thinking "It's Tough to Be a Bug" when the stingers come out of the chair and poke you... Disney just changes those to hypodermic needles! (You just have to come back and see the show again in 3 weeks.)

sbunit

The second shot is the one that people the day after often feel the aches, fevers, and chills.
Yes absolutely correct, but I was hoping my post is one of many many many more that others on the fence may read and hopefully alleviate some fear. I encourage anyone who has received the vaccine to post their experiences, whether positive or negative in an effort to educate and come together as one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom