Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 79 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.36.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.36.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.36.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.36.01 PM.png

SamusAranX

Is it just me or do I see a whole lot of bad coming down the pike?

For Florida? As far as overall case numbers I don’t see it getting much worse, because no one gives a crap here in Florida. Once everything reopened, it was inevitable that cases would go up. So we’re already approaching levels of summer, and it will probably plateau. Basically, we’re almost at rock bottom.

but more deaths and hospitalizations are coming, with the lag on those. Brace yourself

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is commonly stated, but the American side of Niagara has a very nice state park while much of the Canadian side is touristy crap.
Beyond the state park, though, most of the rest of Niagara Falls NY is almost third world. The parks that line the falls and the gorge on the Canadian side are also generally much better maintained.
The view of the falls and the visitor center are better and they had a pretty solid parking and transport plan. I liked the parks themselves, especially off the beaten path. Could I live without the tacky restaurants, arcades and adult book stores? Probably, but I just ignored that stuff mostly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
According to the ACA, everyone has to have health insurance. There is no longer a penalty for not having it but we are all legally required to have it according to Former President Obama and President-Elect Biden. The Federal Government can also set the required benefits and vaccinations are part of it. So why can't the government require you get vaccinated or lose lots of your benefits. Afterall, health insurance has always been priced on the healthy subsidizing the less healthy, i.e. younger people subsidizing older people. I say let those who refuse the vaccine be denied any and all coverage for Covid19 if they refuse the vaccine, let them survive with no care, absolutely no care. If they go to the hospital, doctors office or elsewhere, lock them out, the rest of us who were willing to pay for them to have free vaccinations should now be stuck with tens of thousands of dollars paying for their stupidity and lack of concern for the rest of us.
Let me rephrase it then, you can require a vaccine, but you can’t physically make someone get it. You can reward them for doing it or punish with fines or I guess jail time for not getting it if they passed that law, but some people just won’t do it anyway. We are better off focusing on the 85-90% of people not in that bucket and make sure they all get it, then we hit herd immunity anyway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For Florida? As far as overall case numbers I don’t see it getting much worse, because no one gives a crap here in Florida. Once everything reopened, it was inevitable that cases would go up. So we’re already approaching levels of summer, and it will probably plateau. Basically, we’re almost at rock bottom.

but more deaths and hospitalizations are coming, with the lag on those. Brace yourself
I hope things don’t get too much worse, but remember that this summer when cases spiked they eventually plateaued and then dropped but that was only after restrictions were added, bars were closed, indoor dining was further restricted. If there is no pull back this time around will the cases plateau? I don’t think we will get to that point to find out. If the cases go to the levels of July I don’t think there’s any choice but a pull back in activity. If the governor won’t do it maybe it falls on local government. When hospitals start reaching capacity people have to act.

SamusAranX

Slightly off topic; I am hearing some masks are better then others.
I know some on here work in the medical field; could you point me to links for the best kind of masks out there, that maybe you’ve purchased? Besides N95. I want the most effective I can for my flights in January. You don’t need to post here, you can private message me.

oceanbreeze77

I know some on here work in the medical field; could you point me to links for the best kind of masks out there, that maybe you’ve purchased? Besides N95. I want the most effective I can for my flights in January. You don’t need to post here, you can private message me.
no please post here. I have been trying to figure this out as well.

BrianLo

The simple disposable white and blue medical masks are technically adequate (as in that’s all we would use in a patient room). Reusable cloth masks can be purchased with insets to put in essentially the same filter.

N95 are the “most effective” medical grade, but again not currently indicated for everyday usage and technically require mask fitting to know which brand actually fits your face, otherwise improperly fitted would confer no benefit. They are only indicated in case of aerosolized medical generating procedures. Which again no one in the general public would encounter.

I’d actually say moments of donning and doffing are the areas of problem for people. Having several disposable masks and using a new one after eating and hand hygiene is the best strategy as opposed to seeking out N95’s.

Everything beyond those two products are full of marketing gimmickry if they claim superiority. Whatever product you aren’t lead to frequently touch and adjust is the best option in reality.

Kt4447

no please post here. I have been trying to figure this out as well.

KN95 and standard multiple layer surgical/medical masks are generally good and easier to find online. Cloth masks are best when they are multiple layers (over 2, or pocket with a filter) and snug. I find adjustable ear loops and a metal nose piece helps keep them snug. Quilted cotton and high thread count masks performed best in studies of cloth masks, and are readily available homemade on Etsy and similar places. I have some from Everbrand I really like (only ones that don’t fog my glasses ever) but they were expensive. General rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t be able to see light coming through a cloth mask when holding it up to a light.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida is in the midst of a “viral resurgence” and the number of counties in the red zone — indicating a high rate of increase in COVID-19 cases and test positivity — has doubled in the last week, according to the most recent weekly White House Coronavirus Task Force report.

Ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday, when medical experts fear that family gatherings could lead to outbreaks across the country, more than 80% of Florida counties have moderate or high levels of community transmission, says the Nov. 15 report."

"According to the Nov. 15 report, which is the latest issued by the task force, the number of new cases per 100,000 people in Florida increased by 17% from the previous week. The positivity rate increased by less than 1% during that period, while the rate of PCR tests dropped by 13%.

Death rate per capita increased by 42% during that week, according to the report.

“Florida has seen an increase in new cases and an increase in test positivity. The hospitalization rates are difficult to interpret due to a decrease in reporting,” the document says."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"Florida is in the midst of a “viral resurgence” and the number of counties in the red zone — indicating a high rate of increase in COVID-19 cases and test positivity — has doubled in the last week, according to the most recent weekly White House Coronavirus Task Force report.

Ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday, when medical experts fear that family gatherings could lead to outbreaks across the country, more than 80% of Florida counties have moderate or high levels of community transmission, says the Nov. 15 report."

"According to the Nov. 15 report, which is the latest issued by the task force, the number of new cases per 100,000 people in Florida increased by 17% from the previous week. The positivity rate increased by less than 1% during that period, while the rate of PCR tests dropped by 13%.

Death rate per capita increased by 42% during that week, according to the report.

“Florida has seen an increase in new cases and an increase in test positivity. The hospitalization rates are difficult to interpret due to a decrease in reporting,” the document says."

Didn’t someone just recently post here that the surge in cases was all Miami? 80% of counties moderate or high levels of community spread, seems pretty much a statewide problem :(

mellyf

I think Halloween parties are fundamentally different in character from Thanksgiving; local law enforcement is not going to want stories about an 85-year-old granny being fined because her kids told her it was okay to have family over the way she does every year.

If you don't mind my asking, where do you live? I'm in Chicago and enforcement of such an order here would be next to impossible. I can see it going over better in some of the smaller towns or suburbs, though.

Yikes, the opposite probably. I live in a rural area in Illinois, but not too far from the suburbs. The few times I've had to go in to the suburbs, compliance *seems* much higher than where I am. Obviously, that's completely anecdotal. Of course our numbers are ridiculous because most people around where I am hate our governor. Many many posts on FB about the alert on our phones today about Tier 3 mitigations and vows to ignore them.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yikes, the opposite probably. I live in a rural area in Illinois, but not too far from the suburbs. The few times I've had to go in to the suburbs, compliance *seems* much higher than where I am. Obviously, that's completely anecdotal. Of course our numbers are ridiculous because most people around where I am hate our governor. Many many posts on FB about the alert on our phones today about Tier 3 mitigations and vows to ignore them.
Well that'll help. They're going to make each other sick to spite the governor?

Last edited:

Kevin_W

N95 are the “most effective” medical grade, but again not currently indicated for everyday usage and technically require mask fitting to know which brand actually fits your face, otherwise improperly fitted would confer no benefit.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I see this posted a lot and it's not true. An improperly fitted N95 still would provide at least the same benefit as a cloth or even surgical mask. It's still blocking your exhalation and doing at least some filtering of inhalation.

Also, face mask fitting isn't rocket science (I say this as a guy whos had a full-face respirator and done fit testing for 20+ years).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom