Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

I totally agree. I called this happening a few weeks ago. It makes me a little angry because I know people aren’t doing what they should and I know it’s not my kid’s schools or the kids themselves at fault, but they still take the hit. I don’t give a rat’s behind who gets triggered by me calling people selfish...the behavior is selfish.

I'm with you, Goof. I'm willing to forgo a lot of things, but I really want my kid to be able to go to school and do her sports.

Jrb1979

My bad, I thought at one point you had said you were going out on a regular basis to places like bars and restaurants without restrictions. It may have been someone else saying that.

I don’t think it’s just the removal of restrictions driving increased cases, it’s the attitude of people as well. The more people are told from the government and other people they listen to that it’s no big deal the less likely they are to be cautious. I also think it’s the crossing of activities. So someone goes to a crowded public place like a bar and gets exposed then they go to a small gathering with a dozen or so friends at someone’s house and people feel safe not knowing that their friend did something unsafe the night before. Sub in a Tinder hookup for the trip to the bar, same story. I don’t think it’s straight up people going to bars with no restrictions that’s the problem.
We had something similar happen here. There is a group of people in their 20's who have been getting together not wearing masks or social distancing. They have since have been traced to multiple cases as well as an outbreak at a seniors home.

Unfortunately according to some nothing should happen to them cause people are going to people and the virus is going to virus 🙄

DCBaker

Premium Member
Oregon has announced a 2 week freeze -

"The two-week freeze measures are set to begin next Wednesday, November 18, and last through December 2. They are far more wide-reaching than the pause measures already in place, actually closing or limiting many types of businesses.

"These risk reduction measures are critical in limiting the spread of COVID-19, reducing risk in communities more vulnerable to serious illness and death, and helping conserve hospital capacity so that all Oregonians can continue to have access to quality care," the Governor's office said in a preliminary statement.

According to the Governor's office, the freeze measures include all of the following:
  • Limiting social get-togethers (indoors and outdoors) to no more than six people, total, from no more than two households.
  • Limiting faith based organizations to a maximum of 25 people indoors or 50 people outdoors.
  • Limiting restaurants and bars to take-out only.
  • Closing gyms and fitness organizations.
  • Closing indoor recreational facilities, museums, indoor entertainment activities, and indoor pools and sports courts.
  • Closing outdoor recreational facilities, zoos, gardens, aquariums, outdoor entertainment activities, and outdoor pools.
  • Limiting grocery stores and pharmacies to a maximum of 75% capacity and encouraging curbside pick-up.
  • Limiting retail stores and retail malls (indoor and outdoor) to a maximum of 75% capacity and encouraging curbside pick-up.
  • Closing venues (that host or facilitate indoor or outdoor events).
  • Requiring all businesses to mandate work-from-home to the greatest extent possible and closing offices to the public.
  • Prohibiting indoor visiting in long-term care facilities.
The freeze carves out a space for some businesses and services to continue as they have been under Oregon Health Authority guidance: providing exceptions for personal services such as barber shops, hair salons, and non-medical massage therapy; congregate homeless shelters; outdoor recreation and sports; youth programs, childcare, and K-12 schools.

The duration of the freeze includes the Thanksgiving holiday, as state officials urge people to avoid gatherings or keep them small. Social gatherings have consistently been the primary vector for spread of COVID-19 in Oregon for the past several months, according to public health officials."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oregon has announced a 2 week freeze -

"The two-week freeze measures are set to begin next Wednesday, November 18, and last through December 2. They are far more wide-reaching than the pause measures already in place, actually closing or limiting many types of businesses.

"These risk reduction measures are critical in limiting the spread of COVID-19, reducing risk in communities more vulnerable to serious illness and death, and helping conserve hospital capacity so that all Oregonians can continue to have access to quality care," the Governor's office said in a preliminary statement.

According to the Governor's office, the freeze measures include all of the following:
  • Limiting social get-togethers (indoors and outdoors) to no more than six people, total, from no more than two households.
  • Limiting faith based organizations to a maximum of 25 people indoors or 50 people outdoors.
  • Limiting restaurants and bars to take-out only.
  • Closing gyms and fitness organizations.
  • Closing indoor recreational facilities, museums, indoor entertainment activities, and indoor pools and sports courts.
  • Closing outdoor recreational facilities, zoos, gardens, aquariums, outdoor entertainment activities, and outdoor pools.
  • Limiting grocery stores and pharmacies to a maximum of 75% capacity and encouraging curbside pick-up.
  • Limiting retail stores and retail malls (indoor and outdoor) to a maximum of 75% capacity and encouraging curbside pick-up.
  • Closing venues (that host or facilitate indoor or outdoor events).
  • Requiring all businesses to mandate work-from-home to the greatest extent possible and closing offices to the public.
  • Prohibiting indoor visiting in long-term care facilities.
The freeze carves out a space for some businesses and services to continue as they have been under Oregon Health Authority guidance: providing exceptions for personal services such as barber shops, hair salons, and non-medical massage therapy; congregate homeless shelters; outdoor recreation and sports; youth programs, childcare, and K-12 schools.

The duration of the freeze includes the Thanksgiving holiday, as state officials urge people to avoid gatherings or keep them small. Social gatherings have consistently been the primary vector for spread of COVID-19 in Oregon for the past several months, according to public health officials."

I think we are all heading towards something similar :(

If anyone else is angry at this...be angry at the people having parties and not following the rules.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought we were discussing individuals when we were discussing, "Things always work out for us” because of our name and history"

As for countries, I was lucky enough to have been born in the United States 🇺🇸. We have our problems, but the USA is the greatest country on the face of the earth and yes the USA spends billions and billions helping other countries.

One of the many things great about the USA is if you don’t like it here, you are free to leave.🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

What a tired...typical...low thought retort

My point...and this appears to be over the head...is that your “individual choice” is only possible because of collective success and shared history.

But I’m gonna teach my cat poker instead...this is “back tire in the mud” territory.

I get it...you want Disneyland. Damn the torpedos otherwise.

mmascari

No worries, I appreciate your perspective. My brother isn't going, I mentioned him as an example of one of the few people I still see.

As far as the POD, goes, one already had it (and so did most of his household; the other two, I don't know how they didn't get it since they were under the same roof and eating at home together, etc. normal activities at home before they came down with symptoms, so they assume the other two were asymptomatic) , one is my roommate and lives here anyway, and one lives on his own. The other one lives with his healthy parents, but they made testing before coming home to there (after Utah, but before actual going home) a condition of going with us.

After the trip, at least on my part, I am going back to normal of 2020; working from home, only seeing the same few people, avoiding indoors, etc. and I still unfortunately won't be seeing 98 percent of my family.

So I definitely acknowledge it [what you're saying]. We can't completely eliminate risk, but we can minimize it and do our best. I just think, again depending on your situation and the area around you, there's a happy medium or level to be found here.
That was my point, your brother isn't going. But, assuming you'll see him in the two weeks after you return, he's still exposed to those that did go. Which, if one of them has a routine exposure with a reckless person means your brother through no choice of his own has an exposure to a reckless person indirectly. In this imaginary example of a reckless person and if you do nothing to avoid exposing yourself to your brother because he's in your isolation POD already. This is just an easy way to picture a real example of why it's so hard to just isolate some people. Where you're already doing extra stuff to minimize it, but it's easy for people to create inadvertent exposures. Just distancing from him, since you don't live with him, for two weeks would break the chain. Totally possible and probably barely any effort.

One of the five already being in your existing POD reduces the size increase right off the top, so that's good mathematically. That's a win.

The rapid testing doesn't work they way the friend's parents think it does. It's a false sense of security. If that test comes back positive, they'll do isolation of him at home the best they can. But, if it comes back negative, that doesn't mean they can skip isolation. It just means he's not infected enough for the rapid test to show it yet. This is part of why the Whitehouse does tons of rapid testing and still has infection spread. It's sneaking in during the time after infection and before the rapid test shows it. He would need to isolate long enough to develop enough virus that it triggers the rapid test instead of a false negative. Or, get a more sensitive test and isolate while it takes longer for results. All things that they could do, or even do a little of to minimize the expanded exposure.

A week in Utah sounds great too. If you avoid gondola's, or only ride them with your group. Open chairlifts, facemasks in the cold, and distance on slopes sounds like a wonderful trip.

Edit: Definitely not picking on you, you just happened to provide a good example for people to visualize instead of something abstract. I'm not completely isolating either. Both my kids play soccer and I coach the younger one's team. We're careful at all the teams to distance on the sideline, mask before and after. One of the leagues doesn't mask while playing and the other does. Coaches and refs all mask all the time. It's more risky than skipping soccer, but we've chosen the risk based on the interaction environment and our current community spread. We're talking winter outdoor league now, indoor soccer was a definite "nope". Assuming our community spread doesn't spike much more, otherwise it'll all be off.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

What a tired...typical...low thought retort

My point...and this appears to be over the head...is that your “individual choice” is only possible because of collective success and shared history.

But I’m gonna teach my cat poker instead...this is “back tire in the mud” territory.

I get it...you want Disneyland. Damn the torpedos otherwise.
I will say it again, I personally don’t care if Disneyland ever opens. I say it shouldn’t be closed, causing all the job losses in and around DLR, but I personally don’t care if it ever opens...

SamusAranX

That was my point, your brother isn't going. But, assuming you'll see him in the two weeks after you return, he's still exposed to those that did go. Which, if one of them has a routine exposure with a reckless person means your brother through no choice of his own has an exposure to a reckless person indirectly. In this imaginary example of a reckless person and if you do nothing to avoid exposing yourself to your brother because he's in your isolation POD already. This is just an easy way to picture a real example of why it's so hard to just isolate some people. Where you're already doing extra stuff to minimize it, but it's easy for people to create inadvertent exposures. Just distancing from him, since you don't live with him, for two weeks would break the chain. Totally possible and probably barely any effort.

One of the five already being in your existing POD reduces the size increase right off the top, so that's good mathematically. That's a win.

The rapid testing doesn't work they way the friend's parents think it does. It's a false sense of security. If that test comes back positive, they'll do isolation of him at home the best they can. But, if it comes back negative, that doesn't mean they can skip isolation. It just means he's not infected enough for the rapid test to show it yet. This is part of why the Whitehouse does tons of rapid testing and still has infection spread. It's sneaking in during the time after infection and before the rapid test shows it. He would need to isolate long enough to develop enough virus that it triggers the rapid test instead of a false negative. Or, get a more sensitive test and isolate while it takes longer for results. All things that they could do, or even do a little of to minimize the expanded exposure.

A week in Utah sounds great too. If you avoid gondola's, or only ride them with your group. Open chairlifts, facemasks in the cold, and distance on slopes sounds like a wonderful trip.

Edit: Definitely not picking on you, you just happened to provide a good example for people to visualize instead of something abstract. I'm not completely isolating either. Both my kids play soccer and I coach the younger one's team. We're careful at all the teams to distance on the sideline, mask before and after. One of the leagues doesn't mask while playing and the other does. Coaches and refs all mask all the time. It's more risky than skipping soccer, but we've chosen the risk based on the interaction environment and our current community spread. We're talking winter outdoor league now, indoor soccer was a definite "nope". Assuming our community spread doesn't spike much more, otherwise it'll all be off.

Stop picking on me! :(

Joking, I don't feel you are. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't welcome reasoned discussion as you've done so intelligently and balanced.

I haven't seen my brother in month, so I think I will be ok with two weeks no contact. honestly, when I get back, even if the rapid test (80 percent accurate is what i heard, so I see where your POV is coming from) comes negative, I still will be laying low and probably see my roommate and the friend who went with us (the other two aren't close enough to visit on a whim). I wish I could do the PCR test, but most around here require screening and full price is expensive. Rapid is only $49 at Tampa International with proof of flight.

My only hope would be finding a drive thru one that does it no questions asked, with or without insurance. But I guess we will see.

The gondola's are being only filled every other pod, and they are doing like Disney; you have to reserve a slot per day, so we already booked and bought our passes as they are limiting capacity.

I also think this is where vigilant masking really will help, which as i stated, the moment its not just us, masks go on, end of story. With the science starting to show it protects you and those around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom