Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I’m talking about mandatory curbside / delivery. I’m not saying it should or shouldn’t be done, I just think it’s easy to provide such a service if needed.
It would never be possible to require only curbside or delivery. There are far too many people (older or due to economic reasons) that do not have internet and would be unable to place their orders ahead of time.

I have tried to use Instacart on multiple occasions and been frustrated every time to the point that I do not place the order. I've found that items I KNOW a store carries are not listed and I hate that I can't use coupons. More than a few of my friends have been repeatedly frustrated by their "shopper" not substituting appropriate items (almond coffee creamer vs another flavor of the same type, or items containing sugar when they ordered sugar-free).
Some Target stores do not have the capacity to store cold/frozen items and therefore will not allow ordering ahead.
The Aldi near me has not yet offered pickup service, nor do either of the Ruler foods (Kroger's version of Aldi).
I have found both Sam's Club and Walmart online ordering to be easy to use. Most of what I buy is house brand and I appreciate that when Walmart is out of an item, they'll sub the name-brand item at no extra charge.

I would LOVE to have more options for grocery order/pickup/delivery, but the system is limited, not just by staffing issues, but also technology and space constraints.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Here’s an example of clear recommendations vs. orders for COVID measures:

The county I live in reported a 27.0% positivity rate (only 760 tests) bringing our 7 day rolling average to 14.6%. Region 4 of IL was sitting at a 13.4% positivity rate as of 11/8.

This isn't getting better and I fear we'll be headed for some variation of official Stay at Home orders very soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Yeah, there’s a lot of people who prefer recommendations over requirements. So far I haven’t seen that work in this country. Many people want masks to just be a recommendation and not a requirement at a place like WDW. That isn‘t going to help it’s just going to lead to more people not doing what they need to do. In many cases even when stuff is required and not optional it’s still hard to get people to comply.

_caleb

Yeah, there’s a lot of people who prefer recommendations over requirements. So far I haven’t seen that work in this country. Many people want masks to just be a recommendation and not a requirement at a place like WDW. That isn‘t going to help it’s just going to lead to more people not doing what they need to do. In many cases even when stuff is required and not optional it’s still hard to get people to comply.
Yeah, it makes me sad that citizens of our country won’t just do the right thing without being forced to do so (and even when things are mandated, we see them all push back, “oh, yeah? How are you going to enforce that!”).

Chi84

Premium Member

I’m proud of how responsible our governor has been since the very beginning. I believe Illinois was the second state to shelter in place, and our numbers were pretty good until recently.

The problem is that the restrictions are not being followed as well now. Indoor restaurant dining has been banned for a week or so, but when I picked up our carry out order from one last Saturday, they were serving inside. We passed others that were letting people inside. In fact, they are almost all taking online reservations, and none are for outside dining.

I just saw a teaser for the news tonight talking about restaurants “fighting back.” I don’t know what the governor is going to do if none of them close for indoor dining. He can’t put them all out of business.

_caleb

oceanbreeze77

This story got lost in the pre-election news blitz, but I think it's an important one and deserves a link now:

The deaths are very sad, but I think something we should really be focused on right now is the long haul effect. We haven't been with this virus for a year and many who were sick in the spring are still suffering now. Imagine being out of breath after walking a few minutes. Imagine not being able to remember your own name at moments. Imagine losing big chunks of your hair months after you had the virus. Imagine not knowing exactly what is happening to your body.

The after effects are perhaps the scariest element of this virus. We still dont have the big picture and we still dont know much about it, bodies could be permanently severely damaged, people could drop dead a year after having the virus, we just dont know.

_caleb

I’m proud of how responsible our governor has been since the very beginning. I believe Illinois was the second state to shelter in place, and our numbers were pretty good until recently.

The problem is that the restrictions are not being followed as well now. Indoor restaurant dining has been banned for a week or so, but when I picked up our carry out order from one last Saturday, they were serving inside. We passed others that were letting people inside. In fact, they are almost all taking online reservations, and none are for outside dining.

I just saw a teaser for the news tonight talking about restaurants “fighting back.” I don’t know what the governor is going to do if none of them close for indoor dining. He can’t put them all out of business.
This is why communication and public messaging is so important to public health. The governor can’t put them all out of business (not sure he’d want to), but the public can be convinced to do the right thing and stay home.

Asking politely is a good start. Building trust and good will is important. But I agree, noncompliance is tough to fight.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

For those without Internet, you could phone your order in.

Again, I’m not saying this is necessary. I’m just saying it’s possible.
That would probably work for smaller orders (or exceedingly organized people, unlike myself when it comes to the grocery shopping). I would eventually have to either have a website to browse or be able to go in, otherwise I'm gonna forget to get my kids lemon juice for them to make their lemonade every. time. 🤷‍♀️ 😂

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Even in the “big, annoying, non-‘merican” states...there is neither the funds nor personnel to guard the public from the private.

And that’s what this is: every idiot that does what they want can spread their stupidity to the public by a multiplication factor.

I’d make the argument that this is the most embarrassing week in our country’s history - 2 very obvious factors - and its a very easy argument to make.

The glimmer is the “the night is darkest before the dawn” theory.

Expect the future to ask for someone to hold their beer shortly.

_caleb

So I‘m not entirely up to speed on the vaccination conversation, but are Pfizer’s claims about their vaccine anything more than just their claims? I know they’re claiming 90% effectiveness (and now 1 year of immunity), but has this been verified by anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom