Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
COVID19 is here! It is not coming. The laundry list of precautionary measures that can be taken to help reduce the spread (masks are top of the list) do not stop the illness from spreading, merely help reduce that spread. The no shirt, no shoe's no service concept needs to now include masks when it comes to business establishments and their customers. Mask requirements in work places is understandable. The concept of mandating masks be worn as soon as you step out of your home to go or do anything is crap! There is a time and place for everything! COVID19 is an equal opportunity infector it does not care who you are, what position your hold, what title you have, your educational level or, you ready, age! COVID19 does not care about any laws, regulations or policies it is an illness and it is going to continue to spread, it is very survivable and the spread can be slowed. This is a global issue and the countries that have mandated things like masks have not fared any better than anyone else, actually suffering more now. So much for sort term pain for long term gain?
Got ya. So give up huh?

What you failed to understand, that even today, 7 months into this mess, if more people would adhere to a mask mandate on regular people, particularly the anti-maskers, then yes it can help reduce the spread even more. I never said a mask would stop the virus in its track. That ship sailed on that one months ago. I guess the idea that we should just give up is not in my blood and never thought it was in the USA's DNA either. My have things changed... I'm hopeful for a better lead country come January 20.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
well, trump could have seized emergency powers in march when many people on both sides of the aisle were begging him to. maybe he wanted to (he might have. he probably did). but ultimately, he deferred to the states because of their constitutional rights. so yeah, i think this administration -- whatever you think of it, most justified, some not -- does consider constitutionality.
...or they wanted to deflect blame to someone else. Easier to rail on Twitter about the nasty Governors of various states and blame them than to actually take responsibility and make some calls yourself.

baymenxpac

...or they wanted to deflect blame to someone else. Easier to rail on Twitter about the nasty Governors of various states and blame them than to actually take responsibility and make some calls yourself.
maybe. i guess that's the way to look at it from a more cynical point of view. but he's either a wannabe fascist or a hapless finger pointer. in this case, i don't think he can be both (lol or maybe he can, he's full of surprises!). i guess my only complaint with the idea that -- while he's obviously an ego-maniac and a narcissist -- he'd love to be a dictator is he easily could have achieved the biggest federal power grab since lincoln suspended habeas corpus. and he didn't.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are just looking at an anecdotal situation and assuming that how everyone thinks. Your local bar opened with no restrictions and people went therefore if WDW opened with no restrictions it would be packed. It’s a different demographic completely. Like I said, that local bar may be doing ok financially (many still aren’t) but it’s at the detriment to the overall economy.

On the quarantine side you are wrong on legality. The states are not stopping anyone from traveling out or traveling in, they are just requiring a 14 day quarantine if you came from or went to a hot spot. It’s perfectly legal.

I love how any poll that doesn‘t fit the narrative is automatically fake news...the Trump factor. Easy to dismiss anything that goes against your point of view. Is it possible that people lied to a pollster? Sure. Did they all lie? Unlikely. What’s in it for them to lie? It‘s much more likely that the polls done were fairly accurate and what we are seeing at WDW and Universal supports the poll results. Both resorts have closed a large number of their hotel rooms and cut hours and offerings at the parks to a bare minimum level. That’s all a sign that out of state tourists aren’t coming back any time soon despite FL lifting all restrictions on anything at the state level. They have their own guest polling (I guess people could be lying to them too:)) that tell them whether Covid restrictions are popular or not and since neither park has moved away from them despite being given a green light by the Governor should be exhibit A of proof that people want the safety measures in place.

Not only is it anecdotal...it’s nonsense. Because people pack bars, that makes them justified, vindicated? Which number in the bill of rights is “freedom of pub” or better yet: “freedom of frat parties and grinding at the club”?

...just when you think you see everything.

This is Florida’s Napoleon complex attitude at work. Walt shoulda done better research 🤪

Got ya. So give up huh?

What you failed to understand, that even today, 7 months into this mess, if more people would adhere to a mask mandate on regular people, particularly the anti-maskers, then yes it can help reduce the spread even more. I never said a mask would stop the virus in its track. That ship sailed on that one months ago. I guess the idea that we should just give up is not in my blood and never thought it was in the USA's DNA either. My have things changed... I'm hopeful for a better lead country come January 20.
Gee...I wonder where the lead in for the completely stupid “just give up!” Came from?

The “discussion” should probably take a nice, long, minimum weeklong “vacation”....cause if appears people are duped far easier than they realize.

GimpYancIent

Got ya. So give up huh?

Nice try. Did I fail to mention that CIVID19 does not care about politics, governments etc. It is a medical issue. As far as the illness is concerned January 20th is just another day. Now as far as giving up, NEVER, research, development, more therapies, medications and evolution of vaccines is where its at. All the rest is noise. Oh by the way the whole stop the virus ship thing did not sail, it sank at the dock.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Dumping it on states was a total deflect. Again...it’s not hard to analyze: the obvious is true in most cases.

Even now: “not gonna bail out the blue states...”

So if congress passes money for state assistance...how many states are gonna be in that line? And which will get the most per capita?

...don’t overthink the answers

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nice try. Did I fail to mention that CIVID19 does not care about politics, governments etc. It is a medical issue. As far as the illness is concerned January 20th is just another day. Now as far as giving up, NEVER, research, development, more therapies, medications and evolution of vaccines is where its at. All the rest is noise. Oh by the way the whole stop the virus ship thing did not sail, it sank at the dock.
That’s a deflection too...

The “therapeutics” is putting ALL efforts on the research labs because people don’t want to act appropriately/uniformly anymore.

It’s obvious politics from really budget “strategists”

That dog isn’t gonna hunt now...it’s 10/26

DisneyCane

You are just looking at an anecdotal situation and assuming that how everyone thinks. Your local bar opened with no restrictions and people went therefore if WDW opened with no restrictions it would be packed. It’s a different demographic completely. Like I said, that local bar may be doing ok financially (many still aren’t) but it’s at the detriment to the overall economy.

On the quarantine side you are wrong on legality. The states are not stopping anyone from traveling out or traveling in, they are just requiring a 14 day quarantine if you came from or went to a hot spot. It’s perfectly legal.

I love how any poll that doesn‘t fit the narrative is automatically fake news...the Trump factor. Easy to dismiss anything that goes against your point of view. Is it possible that people lied to a pollster? Sure. Did they all lie? Unlikely. What’s in it for them to lie? It‘s much more likely that the polls done were fairly accurate and what we are seeing at WDW and Universal supports the poll results. Both resorts have closed a large number of their hotel rooms and cut hours and offerings at the parks to a bare minimum level. That’s all a sign that out of state tourists aren’t coming back any time soon despite FL lifting all restrictions on anything at the state level. They have their own guest polling (I guess people could be lying to them too:)) that tell them whether Covid restrictions are popular or not and since neither park has moved away from them despite being given a green light by the Governor should be exhibit A of proof that people want the safety measures in place.
I said "bars" not "bar." I have also seen the same thing in restaurants. On the quarantines, an argument could be made that having them in place discourages interstate travel and therefore is restricting interstate commerce.

I didn't say that people all lied in polls. I said that some people give answers that they think the pollster wants to hear. It is widely known that the way the questions are designed have an effect on polls like this. If you polled whether people over 70 should be allowed to drive and cited a bunch of accident statistics in the question you'd probably find a majority that say they shouldn't be allowed to drive. If you asked should you (if you are over 70) or your parent be banned from driving and didn't give statistics in the question the majority would say "no."

As far as WDW (and Universal), I'd imagine that the legal department is driving the decision to keep restrictions vs. polling. That way they can say they are doing more than is required by the government and following all CDC guidelines.

How about we fund a poll and ask people, "Would you go to Disney's Hollywood Studios if there were no COVID-related restrictions or protocols in place if you are guaranteed a boarding group for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance?"

I'm sure that you and several other posters would answer "no" but I think a significant majority would answer "yes."

Chip Chipperson

well, trump could have seized emergency powers in march when many people on both sides of the aisle were begging him to. maybe he wanted to (he might have. he probably did). but ultimately, he deferred to the states because of their constitutional rights. so yeah, i think this administration -- whatever you think of it, most justified, some not -- does consider constitutionality.

I don't fault him for not trying to push for a nationwide mask mandate based on the belief that it wouldn't be constitutional (and I'm sure there would be a governor somewhere who would fight it in court regardless of party affiliation), but I don't believe for one second that he ever seriously considered doing so, either. If he really felt like it was something he wanted to do but wasn't allowed to under the Constitution then he would have been wearing a mask at every press conference and making sure to emphasize how important wearing a mask is in helping to reduce the spread of the virus. This is the same guy who took time during a national debate to mock how his opponent looked when wearing a mask and openly told the media at a factory tour that he wore a mask during the tour because the company he was visiting required it but that he wouldn't wear one in front of the press because he wouldn't give them the satisfaction. His messaging for months has been that masks are stupid and he doesn't even wear them during meetings, which helped contribute to the spread of the virus among his staff and close associates like Chris Christie. He also attended a fundraiser in NJ without wearing a mask despite knowing that one of his close contacts had tested positive and he was awaiting the results of his own test (which came back positive the very next day). When it comes to the anti-mask crowd, he's the one who sets the example and he's the only one who can put any of that toothpaste (not all of it, but maybe a decent percentage of it) back in the tube - but he won't do it even after catching the virus himself and spreading it to his wife and son.

Heppenheimer

I said "bars" not "bar." I have also seen the same thing in restaurants. On the quarantines, an argument could be made that having them in place discourages interstate travel and therefore is restricting interstate commerce.

I didn't say that people all lied in polls. I said that some people give answers that they think the pollster wants to hear. It is widely known that the way the questions are designed have an effect on polls like this. If you polled whether people over 70 should be allowed to drive and cited a bunch of accident statistics in the question you'd probably find a majority that say they shouldn't be allowed to drive. If you asked should you (if you are over 70) or your parent be banned from driving and didn't give statistics in the question the majority would say "no."

As far as WDW (and Universal), I'd imagine that the legal department is driving the decision to keep restrictions vs. polling. That way they can say they are doing more than is required by the government and following all CDC guidelines.

How about we fund a poll and ask people, "Would you go to Disney's Hollywood Studios if there were no COVID-related restrictions or protocols in place if you are guaranteed a boarding group for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance?"

I'm sure that you and several other posters would answer "no" but I think a significant majority would answer "yes."
My vote: Hell no! Unless the reason for no restrictions was that the pandemic had largely ended.

rowrbazzle

Our "President" had no problem building a wall using an executive order, using taxpayer funds no less, out of an abundance of caution for American "safety" but a national mask mandate is out of the question? The world in which we live is a bit scary right now, and I'm not even talking about the virus :joyfull:
To be clear, even Biden says he can't implement a national mask mandate.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Fair point, and thanks for posting that. As I read through the article, it appears that the President can still use his or her power to influence governors, mayors, etc. While not an actual law, its interesting that it can't be pushed through the same way as Donald did with the wall. Its not the most clean way of doing things but I guess Joe likes to obey laws? :joyfull:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I don’t disagree polls can be manipulated due to bias, but in this case I don’t think the creators of the poll had a hidden agenda. If you go back and look the general theme was when will people be willing to return to theme parks overall. The sections on safety asked whether you would be more or less likely to return if....and then each bullet listed a particular safety protocol. It wasn’t worded in a way that seemed manipulative like you suggest.

On the bar front I acknowledge that bars and restaurants are happy to be open, but there’s overwhelming evidence that having people indoor, shoulder to shoulder in a bar with no masks is going to spread the virus. We can agree to disagree on whether the uncontrolled spread of the virus is hurting the rest of the economy. I think certainly for a tourist area and specifically a theme park like WDW it’s having very negative impacts and the execs at the company confirmed that in the last earnings call.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t disagree polls can be manipulated due to bias, but in this case I don’t think the creators of the poll had a hidden agenda. If you go back and look the general theme was when will people be willing to return to theme parks overall. The sections on safety asked whether you would be more or less likely to return if....and then each bullet listed a particular safety protocol. It wasn’t worded in a way that seemed manipulative like you suggest.

On the bar front I acknowledge that bars and restaurants are happy to be open, but there’s overwhelming evidence that having people indoor, shoulder to shoulder in a bar with no masks is going to spread the virus. We can agree to disagree on whether the uncontrolled spread of the virus is hurting the rest of the economy. I think certainly for a tourist area and specifically a theme park like WDW it’s having very negative impacts and the execs at the company confirmed that in the last earnings call.

Kinda like that airline study that “cabins are safe” that came out a few weeks ago and are now being used as blanket approval of selling all seats? (The goal is to run fewer, packed, expensive flights...as usual)

...problem is once peers go a hold of it...it’s flawed and makes too many “judgement leaps of faith”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom