Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Enough with the magic masks. There has been a mask mandate in California since June 19th. Has the spread stopped there or been suppressed?
We've had a mask mandate in Illinois since May 1. There's no way to tell if or how well they worked in offices and other workplaces, but I believe they help to some extent, even if it's just to lessen the amount of virus being transmitted person to person. One problem I've noted since the beginning of the mandate is that people do not wear the masks correctly.

From what I see, there is very high compliance with mask-wearing in places like stores, where people rarely spend enough time to actually become infected. I suspect the real issue is with non-compliance in workplaces that are not open to the public and in homes. This is probably where the greatest spread is occurring. I wish there was greater emphasis on stressing the danger of indoor gatherings and listing the types of precautions people should be taking if they are gathering indoors. I believe adhering to those precautions would help, but all we hear is "wear a mask," with no additional information or guidance.

Animaniac93-98

From what I see, there is very high compliance with mask-wearing in places like stores, where people rarely spend enough time to actually become infected. I suspect the real issue is with non-compliance in workplaces that are not open to the public and in homes. This is probably where the greatest spread is occurring. I wish there was greater emphasis on stressing the danger of indoor gatherings and listing the types of precautions people should be taking if they are gathering indoors.

The biggest spreader events have been private and public gatherings (weddings, parties), workplaces (including restaurant staff socializing before and after shifts) and schools where people are mixing and mingling for an extended period of time AND not wearing a mask.

ABQ

The Sturgis Bike Rally ended on 8/16. Do you have another explanation for the rise in cases starting at the end of August in both North and South Dakota? Seems very much like an Occam's Razor situation to me.

View attachment 508316

View attachment 508315
Not looking to jump in, but as someone living in a state that has been handled 180degrees opposite to how SD has, and did not have a bike rally, but does have a very similar demographic, why is my state ahead if SD in both cases and worse, deaths. But again, see a massive spike and with no super spreader events and far more strick lock down practices.

Screenshot_20201025-141535_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201025-141600_Chrome.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We've had a mask mandate in Illinois since May 1. There's no way to tell if or how well they worked in offices and other workplaces, but I believe they help to some extent, even if it's just to lessen the amount of virus being transmitted person to person. One problem I've noted since the beginning of the mandate is that people do not wear the masks correctly.

From what I see, there is very high compliance with mask-wearing in places like stores, where people rarely spend enough time to actually become infected. I suspect the real issue is with non-compliance in workplaces that are not open to the public and in homes. This is probably where the greatest spread is occurring. I wish there was greater emphasis on stressing the danger of indoor gatherings and listing the types of precautions people should be taking if they are gathering indoors. I believe adhering to those precautions would help, but all we hear is "wear a mask," with no additional information or guidance.
Masks have been highly politicized which leads to a higher level of resistance so that’s why there’s more focus on them. They are and always will be a part of the larger solution along with social distancing, proper hygiene and avoiding crowds, especially indoors. The general public seems to be more on board with masks then other restrictions but the people resisting them are highly vocal and like to make a spectical of themselves.

hopemax

Not looking to jump in, but as someone living in a state that has been handled 180degrees opposite to how SD has, and did not have a bike rally, but does have a very similar demographic, why is my state ahead if SD in both cases and worse, deaths. But again, see a massive spike and with no super spreader events and far more strick lock down practices.

View attachment 508318View attachment 508319
Looking at New Mexico, your spike seems to time up with Labor Day. Starts climbing ~ September 11th. In your state I would look at hundreds of mini-spreading family gathering events.

DisneyCane

The Sturgis Bike Rally ended on 8/16. Do you have another explanation for the rise in cases starting at the end of August in both North and South Dakota? Seems very much like an Occam's Razor situation to me.

View attachment 508316

View attachment 508315
The discussion which led to my post was about the risk of outdoor spread and it was suggested that the Sturgis rally was evidence of outdoor spread at the event. The article I posted disputes that. I'd have to analyze county level data and try and find contact tracing info to provide a fact based explanation to the rise in both Dakotas.

My educated guess would be that people traveling to the event in Sturgis brought the virus with them and spread it at bars and/or restaurants during stops along the way or where they were staying. I don't know if you've ever been to Sturgis (the city) or near it but there aren't enough hotel/motel rooms for everybody attending to stay in town. Even including Rapid City I don't think the area can handle all those people. So my hypothesis would be that people traveling to the rally infected workers or residents in indoor environments and those people then spread it in the community.

ImperfectPixie

The discussion which led to my post was about the risk of outdoor spread and it was suggested that the Sturgis rally was evidence of outdoor spread at the event. The article I posted disputes that. I'd have to analyze county level data and try and find contact tracing info to provide a fact based explanation to the rise in both Dakotas.

My educated guess would be that people traveling to the event in Sturgis brought the virus with them and spread it at bars and/or restaurants during stops along the way or where they were staying. I don't know if you've ever been to Sturgis (the city) or near it but there aren't enough hotel/motel rooms for everybody attending to stay in town. Even including Rapid City I don't think the area can handle all those people. So my hypothesis would be that people traveling to the rally infected workers or residents in indoor environments and those people then spread it in the community.
The meeting in the Rose Garden at the White House is also evidence of outdoor spread.

DisneyCane

How would we know how many cases there would have been without it? Nobody is saying masks mean no virus, they are just one part of the solution.
We wouldn't. The post I replied to pointed to masks in response to my question to the grand guru @Sirwalterraleigh about how you would stop the virus without a vaccine. While they may help somewhat in certain situations and there may be less cases due to their use, they are in no way effective enough that a nationwide mask mandate would have been a viable plan to stop the spread (not slow, not reduce, but stop) without a vaccine.

DisneyCane

The meeting in the Rose Garden at the White House is also evidence of outdoor spread.
No it isn't. Find the picture that the NY Times (I think it was them) posted where they showed the crowd in black and white and colorized the people who ended up testing positive. Many weren't seated anywhere near each other and President Trump wasn't near any of them at the outdoor event.

It is likely that those people were together indoors for a meal and/or meetings before or after the outdoor event.

ImperfectPixie

We wouldn't. The post I replied to said pointed to masks in response to my question to the grand guru @Sirwalterraleigh about how you would stop the virus without a vaccine. While they may help somewhat in certain situations and there may be less cases due to their use, they are in no way effective enough that a nationwide mask mandate would have been a viable plan to stop the spread (not slow, not reduce, but stop) without a vaccine.
Not a single person here has posited that masks would STOP virus spread. Everyone here has consistently been using words like reduce, limit, etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We wouldn't. The post I replied to said pointed to masks in response to my question to the grand guru @Sirwalterraleigh about how you would stop the virus without a vaccine. While they may help somewhat in certain situations and there may be less cases due to their use, they are in no way effective enough that a nationwide mask mandate would have been a viable plan to stop the spread (not slow, not reduce, but stop) without a vaccine.
Thats the problem though. Your answer is if something doesn’t result in zero cases it doesn‘t work. If people followed what was required, not just masks but everything, the cases could be slowed a lot more which would have been great for the economy. Woulda, shoulda, coulda is a pointless discussion. We didn’t and now the vaccine is the only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom