Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

Glad you had fun trip! I may be giving it a try in January but looking at pics from so many, I don’t get that “ magical feeling” . I know they are being safe, which is priority number one right now which is great . I’m thinking a few hrs in the park and more time at resort and the springs might be the way to go for me right now. Or just cancel again for the 3rd time in 7 months.
I can't encourage you to go or not, but it still had much of the "magical feeling" for us. Part of that was just getting away and getting to spend 24 hrs a day with my family doing something we all enjoy. Even if the Disney experience wasn't quite what it normally would be, that made it worthwhile.

Kevin_W

I don't know if this got posted here already or not, but some interesting data:

We've mused about this for quite some time in this thread, and they delve into: "So have death rates dropped because of improvements in treatments? Or is it because of the change in who's getting sick?"

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't know if this got posted here already or not, but some interesting data:

We've mused about this for quite some time in this thread, and they delve into: "So have death rates dropped because of improvements in treatments? Or is it because of the change in who's getting sick?"
I think the answer is yes;););)

It‘s a combination of better treatments (less ventilator, more knowledge of how to treat patients even without an effective, proven drug) and the fact that more young and healthy people are getting sick and hospitalized now vs March/April. Long term care facilities are more locked down and those who are elderly or have pre-existing conditions have more information and can avoid exposure better.

mmascari

2) The insurance Covers lost profits, not wages. So those people lose jobs anyway.
The vast majority of business interruption insurance does not cover COVID, a pandemic, or any other broad based interruption. The few insurance companies who didn't have specific language in their policies before do now, and they're all fighting claims based on the general language they previously had. Insurance is not covering profits, costs or anything else for shutdowns that are the result of COVID restrictions.

The "safe and effective" measure is going to be a tough one. There are so many starting out that have mistaken beliefs* over the current forms of vaccines available, and since this issue like everything else has been wrung through the political wringer, I fear the political views of those inclined to be skeptical may affect whether they'll take it based on who was 1) president when it was developed, and 2) who is president when it was deployed.

*Anti-vaxxers are bipartisan, not intending to throw stones at any one side
The "safe and effective" description is definitely doing a lot of work in the survey. It shouldn't really have to, but in the current state we've broken the CDC and are trying not to break the FDA too. Neither organization is supposed to be political is the point. With both of them suffering from more direct political message shaping and pressure to make decisions for political reasons.

That's the trust that needs to be there. If a vaccine was released tomorrow, the very first question will be "Can I trust the organization that approved it? Is the approval because the normal process has proven out that it's safer than the alternative or was it approved because of political messaging independent from the analysis?"

We can go back through the pages of this thread to see how the CDC has been broken with it's messaging and loss of trust. Let's hope we don't break the FDA too.

ABQ

I think the answer is yes;););)

It‘s a combination of better treatments (less ventilator, more knowledge of how to treat patients even without an effective, proven drug) and the fact that more young and healthy people are getting sick and hospitalized now vs March/April. Long term care facilities are more locked down and those who are elderly or have pre-existing conditions have more information and can avoid exposure better.
I can concur with the latter portion of your statement as I work in long term care. However, it does not appear that more younger people are being hospitalized.

2020-10-21.png

DMMDMM

deSantis has not released COVID numbers today. Florida considers not releasing daily COVID-19 case numbers to the public, so how do we as travelers have any idea whether it is safe/ Numbers have been creeping up significantly,and John Hopkins today...
I will be one of the ones cancelling my 2 trips. Urgggg.

Attachments

• BD23A313-324D-403F-B1FA-5BCC8DD0E4C6.jpeg
    BD23A313-324D-403F-B1FA-5BCC8DD0E4C6.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 85

DCBaker

Premium Member
deSantis has not released COVID numbers today. Florida considers not releasing daily COVID-19 case numbers to the public, so how do we as travelers have any idea whether it is safe/ Numbers have been creeping up significantly,and John Hopkins today...
I will be one of the ones cancelling my 2 trips. Urgggg.
It is not unusual for the data to not have been posted for the day yet.

Kman

Bigger than the wine industry?

I lived right across the river for a few years, and the main street of Niagara-on-the-Lake seemed like...well, like Disney's Main Street USA on any given day during the summer, not just during the Shaw festival. Crowds aside, the two even look vaguely similar.
that's true...the wineries have taken over however the Shaw was what put NOTL on the map back starting in 1962. Prior to that it was a dumpy town where people lived if they couldn't afford to live in the "big" city. As an example, my mom's family (who had no money as they were refugees) lived there. The house is still there as a rental but would probably be worth in the $1.5-2M range- it was right in the heart of the old town. When they lived there it was for poor folks who couldn't afford anything else. Crazy to think about now. My grandparents should have stayed but no one wanted to back then. The wineries AND the Shaw are a very nice combination and make our town very busy during the summer especially. Btw the old town main street is beautiful and is kind of like Main Street at Disney! We love living close to the old town (about a 5 minute drive)

DMMDMM

It is not unusual for the data to not have been posted for the day yet.
It is not unusual for the data to not have been posted for the day
I follow the site every single day for at least 4 months in preparation for 2 trips I am planning to DisneyWorld. And take screen shots every day. It is unusual. Will probably cancel if this continues. Yesterday 9:25am.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If anything not knowing the daily numbers would make me LESS likely to venture out... not more. It’s actually terrifying to think we may not know the daily tally anymore
I agree with you, although I’d still be OK with weekly numbers as long as they are timely and accurate. I think for some people that want to do more they don’t like the daily numbers as a constant reminder of why they shouldn’t. Ignorance is bliss. Sometimes I wish I could still think that way, kinda like being a kid again. Life would probably be simpler.

Angelo721

I will be one of the ones cancelling my 2 trips. Urgg
Here this is a great Covid website. Very accurate. https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/d2726d6c01c4486181fec2d4373b01fa

I have been to Epcot 3 times since it opened. It is safe, people wear the freaking masks and if you don't, some random Disney cast member tells you to put it on. You get temp checks at the front gates.

You have to be comfortable with the decision you make. If a number on a chart is going to prevent you from going to the parks, then stay home.

If you look at the charts in the website attached the numbers have NOT been increasing, they have been steady for a few months now. But don't take my word, or a websites word, or some random poster here in these 2100 pages. If you feel it is not safe stay home. If you feel comfortable then join me for a Dole Whip watching people get soaked by the camels.

sullyinMT

If anything not knowing the daily numbers would make me LESS likely to venture out... not more. It’s actually terrifying to think we may not know the daily tally anymore
I don’t know. The one day changes can be so drastic I don’t know that it would change much for me.
We’ve all become very accustomed to daily releases, and it would be shocking for a while. However, I personally wouldn’t be too bothered by a M/W/F release pattern, so long as the data received was good data. FL DOH has had issues recently with dirty lab files and the like, so 48 hours to do the work isn’t so bad.
IF they went to once or even twice a week, I agree 100% that it wouldn’t allow for adequate time for people to react.
We need to remember that the tested patients will still be receiving their results, so hopefully they’re isolating and reporting to contacts “behind the scenes.”

Jwink

I don’t know. The one day changes can be so drastic I don’t know that it would change much for me.
We’ve all become very accustomed to daily releases, and it would be shocking for a while. However, I personally wouldn’t be too bothered by a M/W/F release pattern, so long as the data received was good data. FL DOH has had issues recently with dirty lab files and the like, so 48 hours to do the work isn’t so bad.
IF they went to once or even twice a week, I agree 100% that it wouldn’t allow for adequate time for people to react.
We need to remember that the tested patients will still be receiving their results, so hopefully they’re isolating and reporting to contacts “behind the scenes.”
Yeah I’d be fine with every other day- but one a week? Nah

techgeek

I agree with you, although I’d still be OK with weekly numbers as long as they are timely and accurate. I think for some people that want to do more they don’t like the daily numbers as a constant reminder of why they shouldn’t. Ignorance is bliss. Sometimes I wish I could still think that way, kinda like being a kid again. Life would probably be simpler.

Outside of the more dramatic high and low days, I've only really been watching the 7 day rolling averages anyway so from a practical standpoint, a reporting change wouldn't mean much to the way I react to the data.

However, like many things this governor and state administration has done, the timing of this 'discussion' is just way to suspect and convenient. It supported a certain narrative to have the numbers in the daily news cycle when they are going down or staying flat... but now that they are beginning to trend upwards let's just talk about it once a week? Sure. Uh huh. And let me guess, for 'simple administrative reasons' the press releases will be at 5:30pm on Friday evenings?

sullyinMT

Outside of the more dramatic high and low days, I've only really been watching the 7 day rolling averages anyway so from a practical standpoint, a reporting change wouldn't mean much to the way I react to the data.

However, like many things this governor and state administration has done, the timing of this 'discussion' is just way to suspect and convenient. It supported a certain narrative to have the numbers in the daily news cycle when they are going down or staying flat... but now that they are beginning to trend upwards let's just talk about it once a week? Sure. Uh huh. And let me guess, for 'simple administrative reasons' the press releases will be at 5:30pm on Friday evenings?
Yeah the timing and the messenger reek more than the logistics of the message for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom