Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

Ok I have said it three times but what’s the deal with deaths? This isn’t just a lag
It is still lag. From the "very concerned about proper data" people about the 119 deaths today.

11 were from July
32 were from August
48 were from September
28 were from October

The source of the data is this table: https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/home/i...&sortOrder=true&sortField=defaultFSOrder#data

They are checking the numbers daily and noting the change from day-to-day figures, and recording them in spreadsheets.

GimpYancIent

I suggest Disney should extend an invitation to Dr. Fauci and Dr. D. Birx plus some of their expert staff to experience some WDW magic and provide a comprehensive analysis / evaluation of the place and operation. No middle person opinions but a prognosis from the top medical pro's. Won't happen but it's 2020!

DCBaker

Premium Member
A government-sponsored clinical trial testing an antibody treatment made by the drug company Eli Lilly has been paused because of a “potential safety concern,” according to emails that government officials sent on Tuesday to researchers at testing sites, and confirmed by the company.

The Eli Lilly trial was designed to test the benefits of the therapy on hundreds of people hospitalized with Covid-19, compared with a placebo. All study participants also received another experimental drug, remdesivir, which has become commonly used to treat patients with Covid-19. It is unclear how many volunteers were sick, or any details about their illness.

In large clinical trials, such pauses are not unusual, and illness in volunteers is not necessarily the result of the experimental drug or vaccine. Such halts are meant to allow an independent board of scientific experts to review the data and determine whether the event may have been related to the treatment, or occurred by chance.

Enrollment for the Eli Lilly trial, which was sponsored by several branches of the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Veterans Affairs, among others, had been ongoing. But emails sent Tuesday from multiple officials told researchers to stop adding volunteers to the study out of an “abundance of caution.”

In a statement sent over email, Molly McCully, a spokeswoman for Eli Lilly, confirmed the pause. “Safety is of the upmost importance to Lilly,” she said. “Lilly is supportive of the decision by the independent D.S.M.B. to cautiously ensure the safety of the patients participating in this study.”

The N.I.H. and the V.A. did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

BrianLo

I agree that nobody should be forced to get a Covid vaccine and I haven’t seen anywhere that anyone from the government is suggesting they do that. The only thing I‘m confused about is the comment that the other person is informed on the risks and benefits. How could we possibly know the risks or the benefits if the vaccines haven‘t even been approved? Or maybe a better question is what are the risks? What are the odds of serious reaction and/or death? How do we know the risks are similar to the risks of Covid? It doesn’t seem possible to me that we could know that yet but if there’s some information out there I’d be interested in seeing it.

Other people have succinctly summarized it. But the conversation started as a hypothetical about when and if one is approved. Not a position of advocacy to start enrolling children in vaccine trials now. That seemingly came as a weird deflection to the point.

Its more a believe in science and have faith in the process type of post.

DisneyCane

I suggest Disney should extend an invitation to Dr. Fauci and Dr. D. Birx plus some of their expert staff to experience some WDW magic and provide a comprehensive analysis / evaluation of the place and operation. No middle person opinions but a prognosis from the top medical pro's. Won't happen but it's 2020!
Disney is following all their recommendations (and more like temp checks for guests) and guidelines so why would they need to visit?

Kevin_W

Disney is following all their recommendations (and more like temp checks for guests) and guidelines so why would they need to visit?

Well, California's governor is supposedly sending a team to visit (which is probably just an excuse for him to delay further). Really, he could just read this website and maybe a couple other blogs and get just as good of a picture as to what's going on.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Well, California's governor is supposedly sending a team to visit (which is probably just an excuse for him to delay further). Really, he could just read this website and maybe a couple other blogs and get just as good of a picture as to what's going on.

They may have already went last week, according to an update on OCR -

“We sent health officials to open and operating theme parks out of state last week, independently of operators, to assess the health safeguards in practice,” according to California Health and Human Services Agency spokesperson Kate Folmar. “These visits will help inform our pending theme park guidance.”

During the health update today from CA Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly, he indicated that they did "likely" go to Orlando theme parks during that visit, but wouldn't specify which ones.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To give Newsom political coverage to OK DL opening when the county didn't hit the right tier yet.

By doing due diligence in inspecting how a theme park can be open when the state surrounding it hasn't taken control of community spread (in a significant way), Newsom can then dispense DL and other parks from having to wait for the right tier to open since they've shown they can keep people safe even while, locally, things aren't as they should be.

Then when people accuse Newsom of violating health protocols, he can claim they checked out WDW and DL and have judged their protocols to be sufficient to give them a waiver.

Just like some counties with low transmission rates are being treated differently than others with a high rate, so, too, the state can treat individual businesses differently if those businesses can show appropriate precautions.

That's what everyone wants, right?

rreading

Having been there this weekend, I would say that someone who shouldn’t catch corona shouldn’t be at WDW. True social distancing was intended yet truly impossible. If the masks are perfect about limiting spread then that could be sufficient but....

That being said, I’m of the opinion that we all will catch this or be vaccinated for it (or die of other causes) before catching it. It’s not going away

rreading

Im not saying this to debate anyone, I honestly don’t know.

Isn’t the California Governor following the guidelines everyone was supposed to follow to begin with? Open slowly and in phases?
It seems that each state is making their own call. Tx and Fl were more aggressive. Ca not so much

rreading

Yes, agreed. People can look at X number of positive cases and feel that’s positive or negative based on what their individual interpretation of what’s a good or bad number. Same with percent positive, total tests performed, etc... I’m fine with that and that’s the point of a discussion board. Someone says “I think X is a good number because...blah blah blah“ and then someone posts a counter that they disagree because “I look at it this way instead”. It’s when someone decides that the data or facts are flawed or purposely misrepresented because they don’t support their narrative that I find fault. An error in reporting can happen and if they tell you there was an error and fix it the next day I don‘t see that as some sort of evidence of corruption or lack of truth in the data reporting or a good excuse to ignore available data.

Anyone claiming to have all the answers with Covid is kidding themselves. I have pretty strong opinions on what I think should be happening but I have no idea if what I’m proposing/supporting would actually work or not. Nobody does. Best we can do is take all of the facts and data available and attempt to draw conclusions. It’s not surprising we all have different interpretations and draw different conclusions.

I’m curious: what is your take?

Tink242424

This is largely why I don’t get into it. No where do I blame individuals in the public at large who have become vaccine hesitant. No where did I advocate for forcing anyone to do anything. No where did I say it’s not people’s choice.

For what it is worth, a vaccine is not a medical procedure.

I’m advocating for people to get better access to information than the internet. The majority of your post is factually inaccurate and that’s the problem. Misinformation spreads like wildfire and it’s neither your nor other posters fault that they’ve fallen for it. The risks are not the same and if they are even remotely so the vaccines will never see the light of day.
Wow, I'm factually inaccurate?? This is the problem with most physicians. You don't even know about vaccine research. I happen to work for a pharmaceutical company and I have researched vaccines quite in depth. I don't think we need to go into the arguments for or against vaccines in this thread as neither of us are going to change the other persons mind.

What I do take issue with is your dismissive nature when people express their concerns about a medical procedure (which vaccination is a procedure - yes different then surgery or other medical procedure but you are playing a game of semantics that just doesn't matter). As a doctor you should be advocating for your patients to know about the risks and benefits of taking any drug or vaccine. That is your job. The PP had every right to state their opinion and to ask those questions. There are definitely side effects from taking a vaccine and they can range from mild to death (as evidenced in the patient brochure that you are supposed to give the patient but I highly doubt you do that as I have never gotten one from a physician when I had my vaccines).

You are spreading the same misinformation that vaccines do no harm. And we know for a fact that for SOME people they do. So maybe you should be doing some more "research" on your end instead of just regurgitating the facts someone gave you and trying to brand anyone asking questions or suggesting a different path are ignorant or anti-vax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom