Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryEyes

Yeah, I have heard it discussed that that may be a violation of states rights. There are also political ways that the federal government could use to force states to do it. Short of a mandate I still think a single unified and persistent message from the top would go a long way to increasing compliance.

Given the current political climate, there is a near 100% chance that if this message came from the top, half the country would suddenly decide that masks are stupid. Let's be real.

sullyinMT

We all kind of knew it would be early next year but we also were hoping maybe earlier then March. We also knew it wouldn’t be “in the next few weeks”. Let’s hope maybe another company gets through their trials a bit earlier and maybe we can see something in January?
They at least still see it plausible to have an EUA for front-line workers in the December-January time frame. I think Pfizer's CEO is playing it too loose with his messaging when the realistic time frame is probably similar. This continues to point towards Spring at the earliest for GP, with mass roll out more like late Spring/early Summer. Which, let's be honest, is still pretty astounding. Under 18 months.

carolina_yankee

Interesting that the article says " but public health experts have found little evidence that the virus is spreading inside buildings,", but if you Google "outbreaks in schools" you will see articles says 27 in Michigan, 11 in NJ, 39 in Colorado. Yes, things appear to be going better then some feared, but it doesn't seem accurate to say that its not spreading in schools.
I think you have to dig deeper about what an outbreak means. There are people contract COVID from elsewhere who go to school, a case or two in the school that could be highly localized, or a widespread outbreak within the school. Here in NJ, while "11" may be correct, the numbs of people are small.

The key is testing, contract tracing, quarantine when identified. The Governor didn't want to jinx it yesterday, but he noted that while there have been outbreaks, which were expected, so far things have gone extremely well.

michmousefan

Also in Chicago, and I agree with what you said. We are doing better than most, primarily because our State was one of the first to respond with closings and mandates. Local officials attributed the spike to holiday gatherings, graduations, weddings, indoor restaurant and bar openings, etc. where people cannot or will not wear masks. We need to keep re-evalutating our responses to the virus. If people are going to gather indoors and there's nothing we can do to stop it, there will likely be additional spikes - a mask mandate can only do so much. Although at this point, I guess doing anything is better than nothing at all.
Yep, here in MI — I think we have had a mask mandate about as long as Illinois has — we seem to be doing pretty good. Places like gyms and theaters are either now open or reopening soon... all with the mask requirement in place and very limited capacity.
I can't imagine the mask mandate going away until sometime next spring at the earliest.

olie64

"Schools with cases" and "spreading in schools" are also very different things. There are also 2516 elementary and secondary schools in New Jersey. So 39 doesn't look like a huge number.

Yeah I am aware of that...also I believe it would be impossible to prove it came from school...Although most of the spread between student that has happened...again first hand information in done has been sports or after school gathers. I do know think there be a case where they have gotten it from being "in school" in Indiana but there been over 1200 cases of students in Indiana again is not much as a %

ImperfectPixie

Interesting that the article says " but public health experts have found little evidence that the virus is spreading inside buildings,", but if you Google "outbreaks in schools" you will see articles says 27 in Michigan, 11 in NJ, 39 in Colorado. Yes, things appear to be going better then some feared, but it doesn't seem accurate to say that its not spreading in schools.
My oldest has been back to school for 2 1/2 weeks in a hybrid model...at a high school with 1300 students total. Between the 25th and 28th of September, 2 students at his school tested positive. This is just one school (there are 2 high schools, the other has 1200 students) out of 15 total in a town of 55,000 people. Since school started, our town has gone from being coded as "green", back to "yellow". I don't know how many positives have been found at other schools because they aren't making that information public. As of last week, we'd had 30 new positives over a 2-week period.

If perusing our town FB groups is any indicator, there are a decent number of people here (we're in MA) who are being idiots about the entire pandemic...either allowing themselves to be convinced that it's a political scam, that it's just a hoax in general, that masks don't work, that it's no worse than the flu...it's very discouraging.

olie64

I had that thought initially, but it turns out that my kid is on the bus for 7-8 minutes with a grand total of ~5 kids. So I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Yeah most school corporation are doing a wonderful job when it comes to buses, at what I am sure is a added expense.

ABQ

Is there any consensus across state lines and school systems on what constitutes an outbreak? Ex, I was looking at the Colorado dept of public health's listing of outbreaks and they state that 2 confirmed cases within a school is considered an outbreak.

DisneyCane

Chi84

Premium Member
Yep, here in MI — I think we have had a mask mandate about as long as Illinois has — we seem to be doing pretty good. Places like gyms and theaters are either now open or reopening soon... all with the mask requirement in place and very limited capacity.
I can't imagine the mask mandate going away until sometime next spring at the earliest.
You may be right, who knows? I'm fine with mandates as long as they are revisited regularly in light of new information. As we know more, we may be able to concentrate our efforts more on what works and remove less effective restrictions. I'm not a big fan of forcing people to do something ineffective simply because we won't/can't do what actually works. But, unfortunately, right now we don't know enough to make those kinds of calls.

I'm also not too crazy about the idea of forcing people to do something unnecessary because of problems with enforcement. That's the kind of thing we're seeing now with masks required outside at Disney - it would be too difficult to enforce more reasonable mandates. We often walk at a local arboretum, and people are required to put on masks when passing each other on the trails. We all do it because we respect the rules, but there is no evidence that the virus can be transmitted by such brief encounters outdoors, especially given the fact that the vast majority of people do not have COVID. This is why I believe we need to keep re-evaluating virus precautions to see if they are necessary and effective. Yet some people seem threatened by the very suggestion of such re-evalutation.

DisneyCane

Well there is no national law that requires kids stay at home... are you wanting a national law that says they must go to school right now?

No, but I would support reduced funding for school districts that don't have in person classes. Spin all you want but no 12th grader or younger is getting the same level of education via zoom. It's hard enough for more mature people to get the most out of online learning.

A lot of things related to the virus are going to be a choice between one set of detrimental effects and another. There are no easy solutions to the problem.

We can agree on that statement.

olie64

Is there any consensus across state lines and school systems on what constitutes an outbreak? Ex, I was looking at the Colorado dept of public health's listing of outbreaks and they state that 2 confirmed cases within a school is considered an outbreak.

Im guessing no.. IN it seems to be up to each corperation with not set thing on when school needs to close for two weeks etc

TrainsOfDisney

No, but I would support reduced funding for school districts that don't have in person classes. Spin all you want but no 12th grader or younger is getting the same level of education via zoom. It's hard enough for more mature people to get the most out of online learning.
I’m not spinning anything. It just appears you want the government to help fund or not fund based on what you think is best.

If a school / local government makes a decision based on their local situation, they should be able to do that.

Figments Friend

Completing a survey Disney sent me now after a stay at 'Pop Century Resort' last week, and one of the last questions -

WDW Sept 2020 Survey.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Heppenheimer

I’m not spinning anything. It just appears you want the government to help fund or not fund based on what you think is best.

If a school / local government makes a decision based on their local situation, they should be able to do that.
Isn't that one of the reasons we vote in elections?

Heppenheimer

Completing a survey Disney sent me now after a stay at 'Pop Century Resort' last week, and one of the last questions -

View attachment 501975
Was there anything on there about "I will be ready to visit once my home state lifts mandatory travel quarantines after visiting Florida"? Right now, that's one of the biggest considerations for people in the northeast on when we will book our next Disney trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom