Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

Hopefully customers buying workout equipment are putting it to good use to improve their health and wellness.
I purchased hand weights from WalMart in March, when my gym closed, and have noticed that both hand weights and bicycles have been sold out at WalMart for the last few months. So, there's that!

Lilofan

I purchased hand weights from WalMart in March, when my gym closed, and have noticed that both hand weights and bicycles have been sold out at WalMart for the last few months. So, there's that!
The jungle gym playbars at the neighborhood playground is for adults too! I get creative doing pull ups, shoulder dips to increase heart rate and improve upper body and arms muscle tone. And it's free! Sanitize my hands after doing many reps.

Polkadotdress

The jungle gym playbars at the neighborhood playground is for adults too! I get creative doing pull ups, shoulder dips to increase heart rate and improve upper body and arms muscle tone. And it's free! Sanitize my hands after doing many reps.
That's the spirit! KUDOS to you for finding a way to creatively continue to be engaged and active while things were shut down, which is a great example of "can do" spirit for all of those running around chanting "open things up!!!"

Adventure is out there!

Chi84

Premium Member
The mask requirement for outdoor areas (outside of queues) is just stupid. Although I can understand that it's easier to have a blanket "masks while on property" rule than to try and get people to put them on when they enter a queue or shop.
In that case, it's easier for me to stay away until they make the effort to implement reasonable rules.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hopefully customers buying workout equipment are putting it to good use to improve their health and wellness.
I tried to get my son a new bike since he is really too big now for the one he has. Good like finding a bike anywhere. DSG had them on back order for a few months now. Walmart, Target, even Amazon all sold out. Basically anything outdoors has flown off the shelves. Bikes, fishing gear, camping, golf clubs. I know a handful of people who picked up golfing again as a hobby mainly because their usually ridiculously busy weekends were suddenly empty this spring and they actually had time to play. I know my other friends who play golf regularly are saying it’s next to impossible to get tee times at some of their favorite courses now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Finally built up the courage to take my teens to Epcot (Wednesday) & MK (Thursday). Has there been any cases reported after visiting Disney? Do you all feel safe sleeping in a hotel? Just trying to get a feel. I usually travel 75+ nights a year for work and stay in hotels. It feels so odd to me. It's been 7 months. Any tips for hotels? Any tips for Epcot & MK? Thanks in advance.
I just got back from a weekend at the Jersey shore. Stayed in a hotel and had no issues. They had the plexiglass at checkin and everyone had masks on the whole time indoors. There was definitely extra cleaning going on too. We declined housekeeping on Saturday to avoid any extra contact with staff. The room itself was fine but I was a little more cautious with wiping down surfaces especially in the kitchen area. I’m not doing a whole lot these days and I felt perfectly safe. I think with the way Disney is handling everything you will be fine.

The one area I still have concern with is dining. Indoor dining just re-opened in NJ and the hotel had a restaurant attached. Due to it being the off season they were short staffed so they were only doing in person dining and no takeout. That was a disappointment to me. I understand they make more on alcohol sales and better tips with in person dining but the place felt a little too crowded for my comfort. We found other options for takeout and ate in the room.

dfisher9

I tried to get my son a new bike since he is really too big now for the one he has. Good like finding a bike anywhere. DSG had them on back order for a few months now. Walmart, Target, even Amazon all sold out. Basically anything outdoors has flown off the shelves. Bikes, fishing gear, camping, golf clubs. I know a handful of people who picked up golfing again as a hobby mainly because their usually ridiculously busy weekends were suddenly empty this spring and they actually had time to play. I know my other friends who play golf regularly are saying it’s next to impossible to get tee times at some of their favorite courses now.
In the spring/summer, it was pretty much impossible to find a basketball hoop or popup swimming pool. The hard to find item now is a decent child size desk.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On a positive note Disney is starting weddings back up in October. It’s a big money maker for them so it’s great news.
Are they only doing outdoor receptions or are the restaurants allowing large group gatherings now? There were 2 weddings at the hotel I stayed at this past weekend. Both had ceremonies outside on the beach and receptions outdoors with tents overhead. Seemed OK to me and masks were required. I assume if Disney allows a wedding they would require all guests to wear masks since it’s a property wide policy. Would the bride and groom and whoever marries them wear masks too? I wonder how they will work that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In the spring/summer, it was pretty much impossible to find a basketball hoop or popup swimming pool. The hard to find item now is a decent child size desk.
Yes, for sure. We ordered a pool back in the beginning of May anticipating that our swim club may not open. It took almost a month to ship but we got one. They were sold out on Amazon for months after that. We also had to get a desk for my youngest son and yes, it was hard to find.

Twisted Ballerina

In the Parks
No
I think it is extremely important to still get out and exercise even if the gyms are closed in your areas. I am an outdoorsy person and in my free time I love taking hikes and enjoying nature when I can. Not only are you increasing your health, but especially during this time staying in can really bring down your mental health. You can do so many things outside where there is not a huge group around and it is safe. When I walk in nature I am mostly alone or I may see a handful of people on my walks.

DisneyDebRob

I just got back from a weekend at the Jersey shore. Stayed in a hotel and had no issues. They had the plexiglass at checkin and everyone had masks on the whole time indoors. There was definitely extra cleaning going on too. We declined housekeeping on Saturday to avoid any extra contact with staff. The room itself was fine but I was a little more cautious with wiping down surfaces especially in the kitchen area. I’m not doing a whole lot these days and I felt perfectly safe. I think with the way Disney is handling everything you will be fine.

The one area I still have concern with is dining. Indoor dining just re-opened in NJ and the hotel had a restaurant attached. Due to it being the off season they were short staffed so they were only doing in person dining and no takeout. That was a disappointment to me. I understand they make more on alcohol sales and better tips with in person dining but the place felt a little too crowded for my comfort. We found other options for takeout and ate in the room.
I’m going to OBX in a week and a half and looking forward to it. Open spaces.. open beaches.. long drives to lighthouses. I’ve been checking our favorite restaurants and most are having indoor dining but also take out. I’m still not comfortable indoors yet especially at 50% but the 2 places I called said I’m in the majority. Their take out is through the roof. So looking forward to eating good, watching the sunset in out rented house right on the sound. Masks are required everywhere so that’s good.

ABQ

No new numbers yet today? I assume a spike as yesterday had to be incomplete data or some such "fluke".

Wendy Pleakley

The mask requirement for outdoor areas (outside of queues) is just stupid. Although I can understand that it's easier to have a blanket "masks while on property" rule than to try and get people to put them on when they enter a queue or shop.

I was just in a touristy spot with outdoor shopping, and the guidance was: wear masks indoors or outdoors if crowds prevent social distancing.

While it's true masks are generally not necessary when outdoors and people are sufficiently spread out, allowing this flexibility at WDW would be an enforcement nightmare.

It would just lead to many guests choosing never to use a mask. Would cast members be expected to evaluate every instance and decide if the guest in question is adequately socially distanced? They'd ask some guests to wear a mask and they'd argue because another guest off on their own isn't.

Disney's policy is effective because it's straight forward and simple. That doesn't make it "stupid", just the opposite in fact.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.45.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.45.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.46.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.46.11 AM.png

Mark52479

I predict that there will be 3,259 new Florida resident cases and a 4.96% positivity. If I am correct, I hope I will get a prize from WDWmagic!
way to go

Which once again like we have been saying it so important to look at the 7 day averages.

Not much reporting gets done on weekends. I am guessing for a variety of reasons.

ElvisMickey

I spent the weekend at St. Augustine a couple of weeks ago. For any of you who've been there, you know that the trolley tours through town are a big thing. Right now, masks on the trolley tours are "encouraged but not mandatory". All day, the trolleys were packed and literally no one was wearing masks. No one was wearing masks walking through town. Museums, shops and restaurants...masks were required and most people followed the rules indoors. It makes me wonder if Disney relaxed the mask rule to indoor areas only, if attendance would swing in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom