Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianLo

As I said, from studying previous viruses. I guess I was expecting too much.
Legit question. Why no comparison to SARS? Aren’t they a part of the same ‘family’?

Unfortunately they are much more dissimilar than you would think. Of course people who say we know "Nothing" are being hyperbolic. We certainly know already more people than many other respiratory viruses are seeing medium term effects and can surmise that will turn into some strange long term things yet to be defined.

However to more specifically address your question with a simple analogy about how widely different these viruses are; The Coronavirus family is like talking Mammals.

It's all well and good to take someone who studied Elephants for years and introduce a Novel Hippo. There is certainly some knowledge translation, but like SARS / Covid / the other two commonly circulating Coronavirus strains - you can't expect the large African Mammal Expert to know how a Hippo acts if they never knew of their existence.

On paper you could justify Elephants and Hippos are similar - but then are surprised when one can be domesticated and the other is usually liable to bite your head off.

When you leave Viral families you are starting to compare Sharks and Honey Bees.

note2001

Sooo... perhaps I'll let the resident Floridians answer this. Who is the governor hoping to please with today's announcements? I know how much of Florida's revenue comes from hotel taxes, so is he hoping that if everything opens up, the tourists will just come flooding back in? Although I can't speak for everyone in the north east, I can tell you that a big reason why nobody around here is planning on a trip to Florida (including the snowbirds) has nothing to do with restaurant and bar capacity, and has everything to do with the levels of COVID-19. Until the state gets a better handle on this, don't expect too many other states to lift their travel restrictions.

Just got off the phone with my Uncle, a Floridian and my mom, a migratory snow bird.

First off my mom will not go back down to FL until "the pool opens up again". That's all she cares about.
My uncle lives in the same community as her, and the pools have been re-opened for some time now, but he has been telling my mom they're closed as he knows she's not the best with social distancing. She'd be there in a heartbeat otherwise.

My uncle's thoughts on today's announcement: the Governor only cares about bringing the tourists back. By opening up he's sending a dual signal that Florida is doing very well and that they've had enough of being called mud by the rest of the country. There's only so much name calling one can take before you consider just becoming the thing and letting loose. That's what he's doing: no responsibility, just going to let the virus do its thing.

My thoughts are along the lines of tourism. My uncle's second thoughts are something to think about though. We've really had enough of the putting other states down thing. Just work together.

Jrb1979

I mean... the border is still closed. So unsure how many Canadians can and would go across.
You can fly to Florida with no problem from Canada. Many have no interest in going where cases are still high and little restrictions in place. Here we have seen a rise in cases to 400 a day and the government has put back in some restrictions. Bars and restaurants have to close by 11pm and gatherings are restricted to 10 indoors down from 50.

Heppenheimer

If there is one positive for me; I lose the Disney parks and the big US ski hills, but gain a magical season free of Americans and crowds.
I wanted to go to Mont Tremblant again this year (my exhibit #1 of what a Disney-owned ski resort would look like), but it looks like that won't happen. It's also a nice half-way point to meet with my wife's family from Ontario.

phillip9698

Sooo... perhaps I'll let the resident Floridians answer this. Who is the governor hoping to please with today's announcements? I know how much of Florida's revenue comes from hotel taxes, so is he hoping that if everything opens up, the tourists will just come flooding back in? Although I can't speak for everyone in the north east, I can tell you that a big reason why nobody around here is planning on a trip to Florida (including the snowbirds) has nothing to do with restaurant and bar capacity, and has everything to do with the levels of COVID-19. Until the state gets a better handle on this, don't expect too many other states to lift their travel restrictions.

Oh God so much this. The announcement from the Governor just cemented that im not setting foot in Florida until this is far behind us. Good lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom